inTank Media Baskets

The *NEW* Tunze 9001 is Here!

inTank

Stevie, do you happen to know if this will fit a cadlights 8g?

I don't as I do not have that tank in our shop, sorry. The dims are:

• 4 x 2.5 x 8 inches
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed and running in Center chamber of an IM 30L for reference.

14793347427_4479c6c597_b.jpgUntitled by ryan.saalman, on Flickr

Thanks for the fast shipping however the factory box was open and smashed up and there was moisture (water droplets ) in the skimmer. But it runs just fine.

Thanks for the fast shipping however the factory box was open and smashed up and there was moisture (water droplets ) in the skimmer. But it runs just fine.

Mine looked like it had water droplets in it too and the sticker seals on the box were open. On closer examination I thought it looked like assembly lube or something along those lines - it felt slightly oily rather than just wet. Not 100% sure but the rest of the contents didn't show any signs of possibly being used. Like yours, it works just fine!

We don't sell used equipment. The stickers are all open from the factory when we get them in they don't hold long.

Didn't think it was used, just saying what it looked like. Please don't take it as a knock on you

Nope, sorry ( probably a little direct was out of the office when responding slacking off at a Brewer game).

I noticed mine a little "wet" when I first opened it don't know exactly why. Free German beer???

Sorry if this question has already been brought up on this thread, but when using the 9001 in the Nuvo 16's rear/middle chamber, do you have an issue when the pumps are turned off? I've heard that when the pumps turn off and the water level rises in the back, the collection cup loses its seal, so you have to be nearby to hold it down...have you found this to be true, and if so, do you have a workaround? When I'm out of town, I often set my pump to turn off when my auto-feeder dispenses, and this could be a pain in the a**.

ClownTriggerDude

I also have one of your problems. When I turn off the return pump and start it up again, the plate below the collection cup floats up, which then push's the cup. I don't like it because all of the collected gunk goes into the water. From what I heard a long time ago, the release of the contents back into the tank can be worse than not skimming at all, as it's now a concentrate.

We don't want to glue it down, as we can not clean inside the skimmer and Velcro isn't the answer either.

If anyone has a good way to hold down that plate, let us know.

As a note to what I mentioned earlier, the tiny,.....tabs that hold the magnet extender is a joke, their way to small to hold it, so I silicone the piece and have no further issues. One set up, the skimmer works very well and is very quiet.

Wish it would fit in the first chamber in my Coralife 29g Cube. I don't think, my In Tank Media Basket won't fit next to the skimmer, at least with the extender piece attached. I'll have to check.

Kevin

Sorry if this question has already been brought up on this thread, but when using the 9001 in the Nuvo 16's rear/middle chamber, do you have an issue when the pumps are turned off? I've heard that when the pumps turn off and the water level rises in the back, the collection cup loses its seal, so you have to be nearby to hold it down...have you found this to be true, and if so, do you have a workaround? When I'm out of town, I often set my pump to turn off when my auto-feeder dispenses, and this could be a pain in the a**.

I also have one of your problems. When I turn off the return pump and start it up again, the plate below the collection cup floats up, which then push's the cup. I don't like it because all of the collected gunk goes into the water. From what I heard a long time ago, the release of the contents back into the tank can be worse than not skimming at all, as it's now a concentrate.

We don't want to glue it down, as we can not clean inside the skimmer and Velcro isn't the answer either.

If anyone has a good way to hold down that plate, let us know.

As a note to what I mentioned earlier, the tiny,.....tabs that hold the magnet extender is a joke, their way to small to hold it, so I silicone the piece and have no further issues. One set up, the skimmer works very well and is very quiet.

Wish it would fit in the first chamber in my Coralife 29g Cube. I don't think, my In Tank Media Basket won't fit next to the skimmer, at least with the extender piece attached. I'll have to check.

Kevin

I have the same concern in my CADlights 34G all in one. I think the issue will apply to any all in one tanks as the water level in the rear chambers will rise when the circulation pump is off. All I can think of is putting the skimmer in the display so when the return pump is off, the water level will drop a small amount which is less bad than in rising and floating the collection cup off.

Currently I remove the cup before turning off the return pump and feeding the tank and don't replace the cup until the return pump has pulled the water level back to normal after feeding is complete. Not ideal. As the skimmer is so small, I am considering putting it in the display which I typically don't care to do but my tank has a black background so it should blend in ok.

Another skimmer with not so ideal characteristics. Bummer. Not that I have room to speak, because I'm no skimmer engineer, but you'd think someone would have created a nano-sized skimmer that avoids such obvious issues. Tunze and IM should collaborate on the next one!

Nah inTank will just make them better. My cup fits on tight enough not to move when pumps turned off but it is also getting pressure from the false wall. Maybe an acrylic cup would be heavier and solve the "issues" with the stock one. The lid fits too tight.

For now just put something heavy on top of it?

My skimmer also shuts off when my pumps do, maybe that is why it doesn't move? I didn't read through all the details of the recent posts.

ClownTriggerDude

I don't understand todays bad quality and R & D, like those little mounting tabs being so small, the floating plate, large amount of micro-bubbles, among other issues.......Especially with the name factor of ,....."Tunze".

Nah inTank will just make them better. My cup fits on tight enough not to move when pumps turned off but it is also getting pressure from the false wall. Maybe an acrylic cup would be heavier and solve the "issues" with the stock one. The lid fits too tight.

My skimmer also shuts off when my pumps do, maybe that is why it doesn't move? I didn't read through all the details of the recent posts.

when you gonna get in the skimmer game? make your own complete nano skimmer and show them all up!

Ha customers would still bitch. Skimmers are the black sheep of the nano tank industry.

inSkim maybe someday prob raise my business insurance as it plugs in to a wall.

Ha customers would still bitch. Skimmers are the black sheep of the nano tank industry.

inSkim maybe someday prob raise my business insurance as it plugs in to a wall.

not if the pump is sold separately ;)

ClownTriggerDude

I'm seriously thinking about making my own air-driven skimmer's again, like I made back in the 90's. Buy a block of "Bass Wood" air diffuser. Rip them up on my table saw, drill and tap. Nothing fancy, but worked great. I still have my 4" x 5' ft. tall skimmer under mu deck. Wonder if that would be overkill for my 29 cube ? lol :D

I'm seriously thinking about making my own air-driven skimmer's again, like I made back in the 90's. Buy a block of "Bass Wood" air diffuser. Rip them up on my table saw, drill and tap. Nothing fancy, but worked great. I still have my 4" x 5' ft. tall skimmer under mu deck. Wonder if that would be overkill for my 29 cube ? lol :D

my DIY nano skimmer that I made out of two tea bottles, massive air pump, and limewood stones was probably the best working skimmer I've had yet..

ClownTriggerDude

Love the DYI stuff !

Sorry, above I said the PVC was 4in, bit it's actually 6: dia. It was 5ft tall. I had a true union at the 4ft, mark, clear 3in dia reaction chamber that was 12"in tall. The only part I had made was the 10" collection cup.

The air pump was a dual piston that was in the basement then ran the airline upstairs. This skimmer was ok, because the reef tank was in the living room wall, so I made the bedroom as a fish room, so it didn't matter what the skimmer looked like.

This 29g tank is in the living room, so I don't want a ugly skimmer hooked up to it. I wish my wife would have let me buy/make a rimless with a sump, but she really likes the looks of the BioCube, and it's HER....tank, so SHE's the boss. lol

I would bring up your concerns in person with Tunze this weekend but Roger didn't book a booth because he had a son in February. He is also in Germany helping finalizing design on the larger care magnets.

I can give him a call when he gets back in the country.

If you can figure out the cup issue, I'll be first in line!

Hey, my first post.

It is funny that the lid is too tight, but the cup fits too loose.

I put a spare block of wood on it for the time being, until I can fashion something prettier/stealthier. I have a Nuvo 16 and the skimmer shuts off when the pumps do, and the cup just goes a'floatin'.

ClownTriggerDude

I can look at mine when I get home, but where the plate sits, is there enough area that a few pieces of Velcro can be glued down to hold it in place ?

Archived