Cultivated Reef

The *NEW* Tunze 9001 is Here!

inTank

Okay thanks. And the 'outside magnet' can be submerged? It looks like I won't be able to mount it in the rear of my Fusion 30L with the outside magnet actually outside of the tank.

If its the new type magnets I cant see any issues submerginging them. I have one submerged holding my 9002, that I got with my Tunze Osmolator. I found the magnet that originaly came with the 9002 too strong and stuck stronger than a pimp to his ho. Using the one from the osmolator allows me to finely adjust skimmer height without cursing.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a Tunze 9001 delivered on Wednesday and I'm not sure if it needs more time to break in or if it is normal, but it seems a lot louder than what I was expecting it to be. The pump is silent but the noise from the bubbles and air coming in sounds like a chugging train... Also the foam head doesn't seem to be right, the bubbles are way too large from what I expected with a needle wheel pump. I have tried dialing it down by closing the airline valve but that doesn't really work until it is almost completely closed which then causes my bubble level to drop dramatically. I took everything apart and made sure it was all reseated properly and it didn't help. I've also made sure the water level is at the correct height. Any advice? Is this normal from what you guys have noticed?

Just some background, the tank is 30 gallons, up and running without a skimmer since March 2014. Stocked with quite a few mixed corals, a purple firefish and a mandarin that get fed a good bit of frozen foods each day.

Tunze's own instructions say a couple hours up to 24 hours for break in. I understand its not going to be pulling perfectly dark skimmate fresh from the box, my concern is the loud air noise I'm getting, not the performance. I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced the same thing or if their skimmer is indeed "whisper quiet" and has been since they installed it. I've tuned my tank to be practically silent and was just hoping this skimmer would be as well. Water level is at the correct height.

scubafrogman

I just installed a Tunze 9001 yesterday. It was foaming great when I first plugged it in but I removed the cup with it on and then it filled the cup full of water a few times.

Now all I get is a bunch of air bubbles at the bottom of the collection cup stack. No foam rising. :-(

The water level is correct and the air hose is fully open. Do I just need to give it more time?

scubafrogman

OK. I was just concerned because it was working great and foaming when I first plugged it in. I was excited that I actually had a working skimmer. :-)

But now it is just making a lot of small bubbles. No foam rising.

Needs to break in and slime up. Good foam at the start could just be the stuff inside the skimmer from manufacturing.

Give it time, skimmers are never going to be on/off devices. If you see bubbles that's good. Keep the air valve all the way open.

So I was cleaning algae in my 20 gal long with this skimmer yesterday. No need to even really siphon anything out. Turn the MP10 up, grab the toothbrush, and start going to town. Skimmer goes nuts. Emptied about 4 cups of dark green. I love it! Follow that up with a water change and algae control is easy.

Fantastic skimmer!

scubafrogman

Needs to break in and slime up. Good foam at the start could just be the stuff inside the skimmer from manufacturing.

Give it time, skimmers are never going to be on/off devices. If you see bubbles that's good. Keep the air valve all the way open.

Thanks. I cleaned my tank before adding the skimmer so there was a lot of algae floating around.

Yep, I have bubbles. Looks like a fizzing alka-seltzer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I cleaned my tank before adding the skimmer so there was a lot of algae floating around.

Yep, I have bubbles. Looks like a fizzing alka-seltzer.

Day 12 - We have Foam! Yeah! :D

That's what you want!

Looks like you're good to go

I don't typically worry about turning the skimmer off on my wifes 150g.. Its a Tunze 9410. Having other issues with the skimmer getting it dial in but I don't think not turning it off with the cup off is the cause of my problems.

I've had this skimmer for over a month now. Still having microbubbles and I seem to either get bubbles blowing out the top of the cup or a slow accumulation of watery skimmate. What am I doing wrong in terms of dialing this in? I've tried adjusting the airflow. Should I try raising and lowering the skimmer next?

I've had this skimmer for over a month now. Still having microbubbles and I seem to either get bubbles blowing out the top of the cup or a slow accumulation of watery skimmate. What am I doing wrong in terms of dialing this in? I've tried adjusting the airflow. Should I try raising and lowering the skimmer next?

Yep, mine is doing the same thing. Doesn't foam all the time. Mostly small fizzing bubble and about an 1/8"-1/4" of watery skimmate.

I only have (2) ocellaris clowns, (1) bicolor dottyback and a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp that I feed once a day.

Stevie,

I just installed the 9001 I ordered from you for my JBJ NC28 but have it quite a bit lower than what you show in the example picture. The lid to the skimmer is pretty much even with the bottom of my tank lid. I was basing this on the water line when looking through the glass at the rear of the chamber.

Have you actually ran it in the NC28?

Thanks,

Barry

Hey Barry

Nope. I put it in there as requested to show the skimmer fit. Actual height will vary depending on water level. Lower the better from athetics standpoint and so you can open the hood without removing the cup!

Stevie,

Thanks for the quick reply. Once my skimmer gets broken in and I get it all dialed in I will post some pics to this thread for us "old school" NC28ers.

Barry

• 1 month later...

I ordered mine around Christmas. 100% satisfied with InTank. The skimmer went into my CadLights 8. I was blown away that it fit. The tank was well established and cycled long ago. I like the quality, its quiet and no micro bubbles in the water.The first couple weeks it was filling the cup with water almost daily. After it broke in it was making good skimmate not as dry as I would like but you could tell it was doing its job. :angry: Now its back to filling the cup every couple days with water. I have turned the air down with the same results. Has anyone else had this issue? I have it set at the water line were Tunze has it marked. Would raising it help? Or would that make it less effective? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

scubafrogman
Now its back to filling the cup every couple days with water. I have turned the air down with the same results. Has anyone else had this issue? I have it set at the water line were Tunze has it marked. Would raising it help? Or would that make it less effective? Any thoughts would be helpful.

I have had the same problem usually after a water change. Sometimes after a water change it will fill the cup with water several times. I'm a newbie to saltwater aquariums and this is my first skimmer so I'm not much help. Just wanted to let you know that I'm having the same results. I find that when I keep the later level pretty high is when it works best.

I also installed my around the first of the year.

Archived