Cultivated Reef

The *NEW* Tunze 9001 is Here!

inTank

I have the same concern in my CADlights 34G all in one. I think the issue will apply to any all in one tanks as the water level in the rear chambers will rise when the circulation pump is off. All I can think of is putting the skimmer in the display so when the return pump is off, the water level will drop a small amount which is less bad than in rising and floating the collection cup off.

Currently I remove the cup before turning off the return pump and feeding the tank and don't replace the cup until the return pump has pulled the water level back to normal after feeding is complete. Not ideal. As the skimmer is so small, I am considering putting it in the display which I typically don't care to do but my tank has a black background so it should blend in ok.

This evening I tried moving the skimmer to the display and while it blended with the black background, I would need to modify my screen top for the collection cup to stick up(which doesn't look great) but I was also getting a few micro bubbles. As the skimmer was situated next to an MP10 it made sure the bubbles were all over the tank and highlighted by the Radion. It's in the back chamber again. I might try a block of wood on top of the cup for now.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the old 9002 model running in my tank for over a month now. Still have microbubbles. This tank does have any fish in it yet, so not a huge bioload. Will the microbubbles ever get better or should they have resolved by now? Going to pull the trigger on the 9001 if people think they are here to stay.

I am a new user and I am sorry if this question has already been answered. Does the 9001 fit in a JBJ NanoCube 24? I want to put a protein skimmer in my tank, but I also want to be able to close the lid. Some of my fish like to jump so keeping the lid is a must. If yes, does it fit in without modifing the either the NC24 or the 9001? If no, what protein skimmer would fit?

Hello fellas...Can any of you tell me what's the matter with my new 9001? I admit I am a noob and this is my first reef tank setup. I just added water to 25 pounds dry live rock and 30 pounds of Fiji pink live sand. I started the cycle yesterday and have so much particulate in the water which I know is normal for a new tank. I added the skimmer tonight in my return, and I cannot get it to bubble "correctly"

Water keeps filling up to the top of the cup and white bubbles are pouring out the top and sides. I turned down the valve but it water still fills the cup. I have the top off the skimmer/housing and bottom of the cup about a 1/2" under the water line as it shows in the manual. Any help would be appreciated. I'm worried water/foam that is coming out of the top of the cup is going to spill over the back of my tank onto the floor.

post-85475-0-38299800-1410074494_thumb.jpeg

Let your tank cycle first, then turn on your skimmer. When it's cycled, adjust your air so bubbles are just at the tip of the inner opening, then adjust air intake until you like the skim mate.

ClownTriggerDude

Looks like you're way too deep. The collection cup should be out of the water.

If you look closely on the front of the black body, just under the cup, there a squabble water mark. That's where you want the water line to be. At least it's the starting point wither you want a wet or dry skim mate, so raise or lower the skimmer from that point.

Asked this on YouTube but thought this might be a better place - has anyone managed to fit this anywhere else in the back of a BC29? I want to use the fuge basket along with the media basket but haven't seen anything about all 3 being able to fit. Thanks!

With a hood, no. It will not fit in chamber 1 and it can not fit in chamber two with the baskets. You could put Chaeto in the bottom shelf of the basket and put the 9001 in ch 2. Or skip on the chaeto.

ClownTriggerDude

That's what I did Steve with my Coralife 29g. My heater and Cheato are in chamber 1 (because the water level in 1 stays the same when you turn off the pumps) and the Skimmer fits well in chamber 2 and it's below the surface of the tank, so you don't see it and it's whisper quiet. If you want to use the factory hood and want a very good skimmer that fits below the hood, this may be the skimmer for you.

Although I do not like using sponges (unless you clean it of detritus every few days) I bought a 4" x 4" x 10" long sponge and put it In- between chamber 2 and 3, so now I hardly get any micro-bubbles.in the display.

• 2 weeks later...

I just set up a new oceanic Biocube and I got the Tunze 9001 when I got the InTank media basket. So far its going good. My question is witch way is the best way to position the Adjustable intake? I have it set up right now facing the side the magnet is on.

Also after looking at this post

Note on installing in Coralife Biocube 29:

Cut tab as directed here like you were installing the Tunze 9002

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Coralife-Biocube-29-Media-Basket-CL29MR.htm

IMG_5381.jpg

Use magnet extender piece to get past molding lip on chamber two/three wall. Or cut that molding lip away

9001drawing.jpg

20140730_111743.jpg

20140730_111813.jpg

Skimmer will fit with media basket and lid will close. The magnet likes to come loose from it's pressure fit holder tabs if the loose magnet is twisted. To prevent get magnets set up first and lined, up then insert skimmer and press onto tabs. Or super glue tabs to the body so they can not come loose. You can remove the skimmer without removing the magnets by just pulling away, granted you have not glued the magnet to the body.

Now i know this was for the coralife my skimmer is so much lower then that. Do i have it too low and should just at more water the the tank? Thanks so much!!

post-85344-0-91095700-1409858594_thumb.jpg
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen anything yet, but anyone have pics of the 9002 and 9001 side by side from all angles? I'd love to see the difference in size before giving up my 9002 who's been a workhorse!

I know you have pics Stevie you always doooo.

Nevermind found one on the forums!

Now i know this was for the coralife my skimmer is so much lower then that. Do i have it too low and should just at more water the the tank? Thanks so much!!

That is about where it will sit, I didn't have water in the tank when taking pictures so it is not exact. You can adjust the water level in the rear chamber by adding to ch 2 or 3 while the filtration pump is on.

Will this fit in the Aqua Clear 110 or do I have to go with the 9002

Yes. The 9001 is overall smaller than the 9002. So if you could fit the 9002 then the 9001 will also fit. period.

The body width of the 9001 is the 9002 without the magnet attached.

I'm considering the 9001 for my JBJ 28g Nano-Cube LED. Does anyone have photos of it installed? Do you have to modify anything? I have a love-hate relationship with gadgets, so I'd rather not have to modify anything. I'd screw it up for sure.

Archived