Coral Vue Hydros

The *NEW* Tunze 9001 is Here!

inTank

Green tea like is what nano skimmers produce. If it's to watter then yes, or it's just because of feeding the phyto and it's still in the water column in the AM

The water level should be constant regardless.

i start dosing phytoplankton in the evening, i turn off skimmer during the night and turn back on the morning after

today it skimmed almost a full cup of water with green tea like color

is that normal or should i reduce the air in the skimmer or raise the level?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

With regards to the flimsy tabs, Roger says that they will be changing them to the blue rubber isolation mounts that all their pumps come with now. I guess I will wait until that happens before I buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts about getting a 9001 and an ATO both into a Nuvo 8? I've got a Tunze 3152 I can use, but I don't know if all that stuff will fit.

Any other ATO/skimmer combos possible in a Nuvo 8?

So if i read right, just creating big bubbles and no foam within the first several days is normal? All I'm getting are the bubbles and no foam. On the plus side, no micro bubbles and the things is super quiet.

Sort of. But it's most likely going to block flow. So unless you're up for experimenting....

Will this fit into the IM NUVO fusion 10?

• 1 month later...

I bought Tunze 9001 skimmer for my 16 gallon nano tank. I started it today and i can see the white foam. How much is "normal" level of gunk (dark water) that gets pulled out every day? After around 6 hours of work my 9001 pulled out around 0.5 cm (0,2 inches) of light brown water.

Is that ok, should there be more or less and how brown should the water be?

Also 9001 sounds loud. First it was not very load, but now i can hear it (foaming). I hope it will break in in couple of days.

What happens if the cup gets full and you are not there to empty it? Are there any safety valves or something?

1. how much pulled will be dependent on how much junk is in your water and how dry you skim

2. it'll likely break in and if not there are mods you can do to quiet it down though i dont know them off the top of my head

3. the inner tube is lower than the lip of the cup, the liquid will just go back down.

Hi. What mods you can do to quiet it down?

Thanks.

1. how much pulled will be dependent on how much junk is in your water and how dry you skim

2. it'll likely break in and if not there are mods you can do to quiet it down though i dont know them off the top of my head

3. the inner tube is lower than the lip of the cup, the liquid will just go back down.

Just let it break in. The 9001 is a very quiet skimmer. Granted the noise isn't from vibration being too close to a baffle or glass wall.

My model is not quiet, you can hear foaming from far away. But it is its first day. I'm even not sure any more if i hear only foaming or vibrations/pump too.

I still don't know how do you know of it skimms enough? Over night the cup wasn't even covered with dark water yet. I cam se foam being produced but i haven't got a clue if it is the right kind one or skimmer should be lower or higher.

My model is not quiet, you can hear foaming from far away. But it is its first day. I'm even not sure any more if i hear only foaming or vibrations/pump too.

I still don't know how do you know of it skimms enough? Over night the cup wasn't even covered with dark water yet. I cam se foam being produced but i haven't got a clue if it is the right kind one or skimmer should be lower or higher.

+1 on what StevieT said, it will take several days to break in.

You need to let it break in. It will take a while, maybe even a good week or two. It should quiet down over time as well once the slime coat builds up in the pump. If you are confused where the water level should be, Tunze usually puts a water level line on the outside of the skimmer body. Or just look in the manual. I don't own one of these, but have the 9002 version that I used for a few years.

Impossible to see. There is a water level line on the body of the skimmer. Set it there. It is the max water level line, water can be up to 1" below that level

Impossible to see. There is a water level line on the body of the skimmer. Set it there. It is the max water level line, water can be up to 1" below that level

Thank you for your help.

Mine took about 3 days to actually start skimming. I can now lift it slightly higher than the water level line on the body to get dryer skim, but not much higher. In my Nuvo 20 I ran the pump on just one line, and took the second elbow out to get the skimmer in. I put the elbow on the inside of the tank pointing up to keep water from running through the hole.

For people experiencing noise, such as grinding or chugging, make sure the airline is all the way open, place your finger over the intake tube blocking all incoming air. The sound will increase over the course of a few seconds then stop. Once stopped, take your finger off the intake.

Also, Stevie I got my order from you in on Monday. I got the Nuvo 20 fuge rack, and the floss holder for the overflow. Just put them in last night and couldn't be happier! Thanks man!

Mine took about 3 days to actually start skimming. I can now lift it slightly higher than the water level line on the body to get dryer skim, but not much higher. In my Nuvo 20 I ran the pump on just one line, and took the second elbow out to get the skimmer in. I put the elbow on the inside of the tank pointing up to keep water from running through the hole.

For people experiencing noise, such as grinding or chugging, make sure the airline is all the way open, place your finger over the intake tube blocking all incoming air. The sound will increase over the course of a few seconds then stop. Once stopped, take your finger off the intake.

Also, Stevie I got my order from you in on Monday. I got the Nuvo 20 fuge rack, and the floss holder for the overflow. Just put them in last night and couldn't be happier! Thanks man!

ye. i did the same for now ( In my Nuvo 20 I ran the pump on just one line, and took the second elbow out to get the skimmer in. I put the elbow on the inside of the tank pointing up to keep water from running through the hole.)

I have a biocube 29 with media basket and the 9001... quick question

20 years ago when I had a reef the skimmer got it's water directly from the overflow after going through a sponge.

Now in the bc29 it goes through the media basket first before hitting the skimmer.

Does it make a difference in a perfect world?

Archived