ReefCleaners.org

Jaime's IM Fusion 20- June update

owenj

ahhhhh i love your clam!!! it can move? :o

and wow, your meat coral is doing great. (if that's

what it is. ha!)

thanks for the luck. i said on my thread, my editor

gave me an extension. so i have more time to revise. wooo!

Woohoo for the deadline! Mine is a Cynaria/cynarina. It can inflate huge during the day :o

Things I learned about the clam within about two minutes of it being in my tank: they close really fast, and move immediately if they don't like where they're at :lol:

Here's where it's at now. Not sure if I should leave it alone like this or move it over and place it back upright? Will x-post in the clam forum. It's very reactive to light/shadow, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Clam%20side%202-6.jpg

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Clammy!

I have a maxima, so not the same, but it did take my clam a couple of weeks before it settled down. It kept throwing itself off the little rock I had it on, and I kept picking it back up, until it finally attached. It still moves itself around a little but it stays on its rock now.

Thanks all. I need to dose some phyto today so clam has something to eat. Clam is a bit gapey today but I was scooting around the clam forum and it sounds like croceas tend to do that. Plus it's only been in the tank less than a day. Guess I'll leave it where it is for now since it's extending its mantle and hasn't moved since settling here.

omgomgomg you got a clam!!!!! Congrats on the new addition and added worry :lol:. Sure is a pretty one :).

Definitely worried omgomgomg:lol: It's intake siphon is open really wide, and I can see out the back/side of the clam. I thought it had a complete body inside, but this is more like a hole. Back to the clam forum.

Clam%202-7.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo, but you can look straight through the intake siphon hole and out the back of the clam to the rock and substrate behind it. :blink:

Not worried about it's placement on its side anymore since I watched it tilt to the left and more upward, decide it didn't like that, and then move back. So weird/cool! It's still reactive to light/shadow and apparently vibrations from my chair rolling across the floor, so I'm not sure if I should actually be worried or not. Fed oyster eggs and phyto today, will probably repeat tomorrow too and feed everyday until the fish are back.

And, the torch needs to move again. It's all shriveled and grumpy in the FTS, but back to being open and tentacley to the point the zoas near it are getting miffed. I think it's time to take a chance and put the torch on the RFA rock on a spot where they never settle. Though, now that I say that I'm sure they'll go swarm over there. :rolleyes:

Torch%202-7.jpg

I don't know much about them, but it is definitely cool! I could tell you if you should be worried about it or not. When I get a bigger tank, it is on the short list of wants.

I don't know much about them, but it is definitely cool! I could tell you if you should be worried about it or not. When I get a bigger tank, it is on the short list of wants.

The folks in the clam forum have been great. Hopefully I'm worrying over nothing :lol:

Clam2%202-8.jpg

Got the clam back upright. I'd like to put it on the piece of flat rock I had ready for it, but it came attached to a few pieces of the long, cylinder like "rubble" pieces I've seen vendors use for nems because it's easy to pull them out for sale. But, the pieces kind of "roll" if I try to put them on my rock and I don't want the clam to fall over.

Looks good! My squamosa had that hole like yours. Surprised me as well and I thought something was wrong. But she's still kicking and growing after a year :).

Haven't noticed at all if it still has that hole...I'll have to check it out. I think it's just flesh that it can separate at will...maybe for mobility.

Looks good! My squamosa had that hole like yours. Surprised me as well and I thought something was wrong. But she's still kicking and growing after a year :).

Haven't noticed at all if it still has that hole...I'll have to check it out. I think it's just flesh that it can separate at will...maybe for mobility.

I love your squammie, so glad you didn't have to sell her. With the clam back upright I can't see the hole, though I'm sure for the moment at least it's still there. It's siphon hole is now going between being "normal" open and basically closed. I'm hoping it was able to eat some of the phyto I dosed earlier today. The "body" part between the mantle (is it all mantle?) looks almost white or translucent compared to the rims which are still nicely colored, but I'm chalking that up to it having just traveled across the country in a bag :lol:

Clam%20good%202-8.jpg

Cell phone pics make it looks pinkish purple when it's actually blue.

I love your squammie, so glad you didn't have to sell her. With the clam back upright I can't see the hole, though I'm sure for the moment at least it's still there. It's siphon hole is now going between being "normal" open and basically closed. I'm hoping it was able to eat some of the phyto I dosed earlier today. The "body" part between the mantle (is it all mantle?) looks almost white or translucent compared to the rims which are still nicely colored, but I'm chalking that up to it having just traveled across the country in a bag :lol:

Clam%20good%202-8.jpg

Cell phone pics make it looks pinkish purple when it's actually blue.

Well, I'm thinking about selling it again :lol:. It's just soooo huge and keeps growing omgomgomg. Thinking about it big time, but not making any hasty decisions.

Who did you get the clam from?

Well, I'm thinking about selling it again :lol:. It's just soooo huge and keeps growing omgomgomg. Thinking about it big time, but not making any hasty decisions.

Who did you get the clam from?

Nooooo :lol: Are you going to have to cut her foot to get her out?

Got mine from Diver's Den. They got a ton of croceas in over the last month or so. I was starting to lose hope because it seemed like all the vendors only sold maximas, then a bunch of croceas started showing up at DD.

Nope, won't have to cut. I put a frag disc thingy underneath her when I first got her and she's still grabbed onto that. Makes for easy removal when I clean the gross bubble algae, bryopsis/hair algae, off of her. Yeah, bryopsis :angry:. It's the only place in my tank it's growing and I have no idea how that happened LOL. I need to give her a good cleaning this week actually.

I haven't looked at DD lately, but I remember seeing some nice looking clams on there last time I looked a few months ago :).

Nope, won't have to cut. I put a frag disc thingy underneath her when I first got her and she's still grabbed onto that. Makes for easy removal when I clean the gross bubble algae, bryopsis/hair algae, off of her. Yeah, bryopsis :angry:. It's the only place in my tank it's growing and I have no idea how that happened LOL. I need to give her a good cleaning this week actually.

I haven't looked at DD lately, but I remember seeing some nice looking clams on there last time I looked a few months ago :).

I'd like to put a frag disc or the piece of rock I had ready under the clam, but the rubbley bits it came attached to roll too much and then it topples over. So far it seems ok with the rubble settled into the sand bed. It blew a little crater around itself but seems settled in. Eww on bryopsis. Mine has mostly died off but there are stalks of it/hair algae spread around on some rocks.

Happy V-Day fellow nano-reefers :flower:

FTS, all pics taken not long after a feed and pre-water change so the corals are looking a bit bulbous. And I have diatoms in the sand bed...yea.

FTS%202-14-2015.jpg

Plates

Plates%202-14.jpg

Dendros. These guys are like bottomless pits--eat fast and would probably down an entire cube of mysis if I let them :lol:

Dendros%202-14.jpg

Moved the duncans from the 10 into this tank. Not sure where I'm going to stash them yet.

Duncans%202-14.jpg

Urch and his assortment of "stuff"

Urch%202-14.jpg

Big Red came back into the light, but is looking quite pale. Going to start feeding daily-ever other day to try and color him back up.

Big%20Red%202-14.jpg

Eunicea gorg. I hate the frag plug it came one and can't really pry it off without breaking it. I may give it some more time to get used to the tank before "fragging" it off the plug and just gluing it on the rock.

Eunicea%202-14.jpg

Happy V-Day to me :wub: . Been feeding phyto every day since there aren't any fish in here. Been bumping the Maxspect up weekly, I think it's maxing out at 40/50% for a few hours a day right now. Can't wait for the Duo!

Clam%202-14.jpg

Those plates are just the BEST :wub:.

Can you try taking a flat rock or frag disc and burying it under the sand beneath the clam? It looks like your sandbed is deep enough to do that? That way when it gets bigger and possibly starts trying to attach to something bigger, it will hit the flat rock or disc instead of the bottom of the tank.

The RFA should color up within a week now that it's out. I had one do the same thing and with food and light it didn't take long at all to color up :).

everything looks great! has the clam settled down?

and erm, are we not meant to feed a lot of phyto

if there are fish in tank? :o ha! cause i've got two fishies

in my tank now and i do a lot of daily phyto. yikes?

Everything looks great! The dendros look sort of like they are just an extension of the rocks. They look natural there.

They popped off the frag disc really easily so I was able to glue their skeleton down :D.

Those plates are just the BEST :wub:.

Can you try taking a flat rock or frag disc and burying it under the sand beneath the clam? It looks like your sandbed is deep enough to do that? That way when it gets bigger and possibly starts trying to attach to something bigger, it will hit the flat rock or disc instead of the bottom of the tank.

The RFA should color up within a week now that it's out. I had one do the same thing and with food and light it didn't take long at all to color up :).

Not sure if I should worry about the OMG plate or not :unsure: it has a line of discoloration running down that I've mentioned before. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, and the plate still inflates every day and eats readily, but the weird streak is worrisome.

I'm thinking about hacking one of my spare dry rocks and making a sort of pedestal for the clam. I tried burying the flat piece underneath the rubble but it didn't really work.

I'm seriously considering rescaping the 10 and moving most of the RFAs over there. If I flatten out the rockscape it should cut down on the "wandering" out of light or feeding range. I'll mull it over a bit. I could then put the clam on a replacement rock where the top RFA rock is...

everything looks great! has the clam settled down?

and erm, are we not meant to feed a lot of phyto

if there are fish in tank? :o ha! cause i've got two fishies

in my tank now and i do a lot of daily phyto. yikes?

I have no idea, lol! I think since you're nursing a nekkid worm it makes sense to have "extra" food. From what I've read, having fish present plus the clam being over 2" means it's pretty good at feeding on its own from what is in the water and the light, but since the tank is dormant and I'm nervous I just feed every day :lol: I like feeding the fish/corals so I have a mix of food. You should see all the varieties of cat food we get :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news, but clam died overnight. It was really gapey and non-reactive to light/shade yesterday, and then this morning it was completely sunken except for its gaping mouth. Not sure what went wrong since it had been looking fine (to my total noob's eye). People aren't kidding when they say clams can go downhill fast. :( No more clammage for me.

In better news, fish get to come back in just a few weeks! :happydance: Survived the 28 day Cupramine treatment and have been poodling around the qt tank. Feeling a bit relieved because I've never qt'd before (I know, I'm bad) and Sharkbait was riddled with spots when they went in. I'm thinking I'm going to give in to the clown envy I have of everyone else and get a pair of clowns for this tank once the qt tank is free. Just need to decide between snowflakes or black ice, because if I drop by the LFS without a pre-determined choice I'll come home with the first pair of clowns I see :lol:

My Duo should ship this week! Yay. And here's a crappy cell phone pic of my ORA Grube's gorg. I was worried about it because it had a run in with the torch a few weeks back before I moved the torch, and it didn't extend polyps for over a week. But it fluffs up pretty much all day/night now and is pretty resilient despite me accidentally bumping it...a lot.

ORA%20Grube%202-25.jpg

So sorry about your clam Jaime :( I lost my first clam after only a few weeks as well. It died in minutes right before my eyes. It was a sad thing to see. The nassarius moved in and I had an empty shell in 30 minutes. My husband really wanted one so I tried one more time and I've had luck with my second clam (knock on wood!). I don't think I would have tried a third time though if I had lost that one too.

How exciting that the fish get to come home soon! I'm so glad they all recovered!

Archived