Pod Your Reef

Jaime's IM Fusion 20- June update

owenj

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polarcollision

chalices are looking great. Don't worry about them growing slow, they take a bit to get going. If they take mysis at night, they may pick up speed, too. I love your clam. It looks like it has every color in pastel.

I'm tempted to set the Duo to develop cloud cover more often just so I can see the blues :lol:. Did I miss a name change on your PSW? I thought he was Fitzgerald?

Oops! I did mean Fitzgerald :lol:

Can't wait to see the GBG's and other new goodies. And the clam is so pretty!

I need to glue the rics in my 10g tank to a rock like you did, I really like how that turned out. Mine are all on individual frag plugs and they have been unsticking themselves and wandering all over the sand. Did you just use massive amounts of superglue? I've done one like that in my 4g tank but it wasn't easy :wacko:

Good luck with the new clown and clam -nice additions

Thanks Sk8! So far so good :fingerscrossed:

chalices are looking great. Don't worry about them growing slow, they take a bit to get going. If they take mysis at night, they may pick up speed, too. I love your clam. It looks like it has every color in pastel.

The new red chalice probably won't make it. It started to break when I tried to take it off it's plug, so I left it on but it's been nothing but skeleton. So I did a hack job on it trying to save just the part in the middle that looked "alive," but I'm not hopeful. The new green one settled in great though. The pink rim actually ate a small piece of mysis the other day (that I could see), but the mouths are tiny!

I love the clam too :wub:. It keeps moving off its frag disc in the middle of the night though, so I put it back and buried another disc under the sand in the spot it keeps ending up.

Oops! I did mean Fitzgerald :lol:

Can't wait to see the GBG's and other new goodies. And the clam is so pretty!

I need to glue the rics in my 10g tank to a rock like you did, I really like how that turned out. Mine are all on individual frag plugs and they have been unsticking themselves and wandering all over the sand. Did you just use massive amounts of superglue? I've done one like that in my 4g tank but it wasn't easy :wacko:

Lol, you had me confused :lol: The GBGs are so tiny. The Black Ice clown went after them like food when they first went into QT, but now she's leaving them alone. I love the clam, but I'm a sucker for clams. My old blue one had more "glow" to it, but I like the mix of colors on this one.

Most of the rics came attached to rubbley bits and I glued those to the rock. The only exception is the orange ric on the far right since it had attached to the plug, so I just cut the plug around it with bone cutters. Definitely do this out of water if you can! I tried just gluing the ric and then trying to stick it onto the rock underwater--such a mess. They get so slimy it's ridiculous.

Crocea is gorgeous!!!! I think they prefer placement on rocks where they can solidly attach. Could be why it's moving on you now. Wish I had the space for one :wub:.

the tank is looking fantastic, jaime!

congrats on the new clammy too! i hope it

does well. it's hard not to feel gun shy and worry.

i had a week of spring break and no writing. now,

first day back to "work" and i have a bunch of errands

to do and prepare for my first official author event

on the weekend.

hope your writing/revising is going well!

Dang, I thought you had some secret ninja way to glue up the rics :ninja:

I wish :lol:

Crocea is gorgeous!!!! I think they prefer placement on rocks where they can solidly attach. Could be why it's moving on you now. Wish I had the space for one :wub:.

Yea, that's why I'm trying to keep it happy on a frag disc instead of letting it stay on the sand. I don't really have any flat rock space where it would fit :(. Thing is, it stays open and looks great during the day, doesn't try to move around at all. It must be moving in the middle of the night because I'm up for a bit past lights out on the tank and it wasn't trying to move then either. But come morning...it's over by an inch and off the disc. :rolleyes:

the tank is looking fantastic, jaime!

congrats on the new clammy too! i hope it

does well. it's hard not to feel gun shy and worry.

i had a week of spring break and no writing. now,

first day back to "work" and i have a bunch of errands

to do and prepare for my first official author event

on the weekend.

hope your writing/revising is going well!

I'm definitely still worrying, but I love clams. Too hard to resist giving it another shot since the reason I came back to the hobby was to have a clam :lol:.

Woohoo, author events. Let me know if you ever venture north to Seattle. I've been battling an annoying cold that won't quit and has left me feeling uninspired to do much writing. Been plugging away at a new short story instead of doing the latest revision :D. But, it's hard to feel like writing when your face is simultaneously plugged up yet drippy. How's that for imagery, LOL!

Pics! Glued the green acro down, though I'm not sure it wants to make it after the run in with the torch, then it got plowed by the urch.

Middle%20rock%204-6.jpg

My Armour of God palys seem really light-hungry...that normal for this morph? I thought palys were generally lower light than zoas?

Pink%20rim%204-6.jpg

Pink rim chalice sort of showing the pink in the pic. It's hard to capture on camera.

Clammage. It's still on the frag disc but I buried it slightly and put another one behind it in the spot it keeps ending up in overnight. Stay put!

Clam%204-6.jpg

Well if the clam doesn't settle for the frag discs, maybe you could get a small flatter rock from the LFS? Looks like you

might have room for something small. Sure does look like a happy clam!!!!

Well if the clam doesn't settle for the frag discs, maybe you could get a small flatter rock from the LFS? Looks like you

might have room for something small. Sure does look like a happy clam!!!!

It moved again last night so I put a small rock I had leftover from the stuff I sent Kimber and some rubble pieces together. If it falls off of this I'll let the chips/clam fall where it may :lol:

Clam%204-7.jpg

The fish from Live arrived! Alive! :lol: Not great pics of the "exquisite" firefish (not a fan of the name...), but my QT tank is kinda dirty and it was still a bit fidgety. Edited to fix appawlin spawlin :lol:

EF%204-7.jpg

Exquisite%20firefish%20in%20qt%204-7.jpg

Still looks great!!!! Hopefully it doesn't move anymore :).

Is the "exquisite" the same as a purple firefish? Or is there something that differentiates it?

That face is so cute :wub:

In a grumpy way :lol: He seems very mellow though.

Still looks great!!!! Hopefully it doesn't move anymore :).

Is the "exquisite" the same as a purple firefish? Or is there something that differentiates it?

It's technically different according to Live. Lot more yellow on him than the purple based on pictures I've seen.

The clam moved again overnight :angry: but, it did stay on the rock. Hopefully it's done moving and stays there tonight...

Looks like Grumpleupagus's bro or sis!

Inorite? How do you tell the sexes in firefish? :huh:

omg "exuisite"????

i'm not the best speller myself, but that's

just wrong. there's some building i see

that is "phenix".

why?? why?????

but she is a beautiful fish!! i'm so leery about ordering

and getting delivered, honestly.

No idea!!! But sometimes I'm glad it's difficult to tell the difference - I don't really want to see fish wang dangling about...

It looks like the "exquisite" firefish is more yellow and has a shorter dorsal fin than the regular purple firefish. My Grumpleupagus is very yellow and has a medium looking dorsal fin... Oh well, fish are fish and he's pretty so, it's not too important to me. ;)

I love the colors of your clam. I have a blue crocea that is mostly purple with blue eyes that I've had over 2 years. Now I wished I had held out for one with a more distinct pattern and colors. I call him Clammy, (not very original, I know) but he's now about 5" from the 2 and a half when I got him.

In a grumpy way :lol: He seems very mellow though.

It's technically different according to Live. Lot more yellow on him than the purple based on pictures I've seen.

The clam moved again overnight :angry: but, it did stay on the rock. Hopefully it's done moving and stays there tonight...

I'll have to compare them. I do see more yellow than what I remember of mine... now that you mention it :).

omg "exuisite"????

i'm not the best speller myself, but that's

just wrong. there's some building i see

that is "phenix".

why?? why?????

but she is a beautiful fish!! i'm so leery about ordering

and getting delivered, honestly.

No, that was me misspelling, thanks for pointing it out Cindy :P but yea, "exquisite"...well, it's a name I guess. I was super freaked out about the delivery because earlier in the week UPS decided they forgot where my house is and misdelivered some other packages, but the fish arrived on time and at the right doorstep :D.

No idea!!! But sometimes I'm glad it's difficult to tell the difference - I don't really want to see fish wang dangling about...

It looks like the "exquisite" firefish is more yellow and has a shorter dorsal fin than the regular purple firefish. My Grumpleupagus is very yellow and has a medium looking dorsal fin... Oh well, fish are fish and he's pretty so, it's not too important to me. ;)

So nice of the fish to keep their organs on the inside ;). I think they're definitely more yellow, or is it that they're less purple/grey? Not sure on the dorsal fin since I've never had a purple ff. The face is more grumpy than my helfrichi's was--he always had a look of surprise.

I love the colors of your clam. I have a blue crocea that is mostly purple with blue eyes that I've had over 2 years. Now I wished I had held out for one with a more distinct pattern and colors. I call him Clammy, (not very original, I know) but he's now about 5" from the 2 and a half when I got him.

I sort of wish I'd held out for a more blue one! :lol: I loved the colors on my first one, but this little guy seems to be doing alright, EXCEPT it won't stay put! I wish I'd photo-documented every way it's moved, because it's never in the exact same spot the following morning. I've given up trying to put it back and instead am just trying to keep it upright wherever it goes. The tank is a mess with little rubble struts :rolleyes:.

I'm holding off naming it until I know it's going to survive, lol. But wow, 205" in two years? I thought they were slow growing. Or I guess maximas grow a lot faster than I thought.

I'll have to compare them. I do see more yellow than what I remember of mine... now that you mention it :).

I think the yellow extends further back where the purple firefish is more...purple. But I've never had a purple one so I'm going off memory of them in fish stores.

Nice new fish addition

Thanks! Here's hoping I can keep them all alive in that little quarantine tank :lol:

I'll try to get pics, but things are a little crazy with school nearing the end (finally!), trying to make a self-imposed writing deadline, family stuff, & other hobbies all vying for time. All the fish are still alive in quarantine, not sure if I'll quit after a week of copper dosing or go at least two weeks.

Stinker clam keeps moving around <_< but so far is still alive. I think I made it two weeks with my old one so the deadline is approaching...

Blue crocea s are slow growers and should only get 6" max. That is why I chose one even though they require more light than other clams. My reef tank is only a 36g. I placed mine in a dished shaped rock and it put it's foot down and attached right away. I believe they prefer a rock over sand. It's nice because if I re-scape the tank I just take clam and rock out and place in a bucket until I am ready to put the clam back. I keep it at the top of the rockwork since I have T5 lighting but it's worked out fine.

Blue crocea s are slow growers and should only get 6" max. That is why I chose one even though they require more light than other clams. My reef tank is only a 36g. I placed mine in a dished shaped rock and it put it's foot down and attached right away. I believe they prefer a rock over sand. It's nice because if I re-scape the tank I just take clam and rock out and place in a bucket until I am ready to put the clam back. I keep it at the top of the rockwork since I have T5 lighting but it's worked out fine.

Mine is on rocks now, but keeps migrating overnight. It's fine and open during the day, but sometime in the middle of the night (I'm a freak and stayed up for half an hour after all the house lights were off to catch it in the act & it didn't do anything) it keeps inching to the left.

Clam%204-14.jpg

It started facing vertically in the center of the fresh white rock on the darker bit of rubble. Then it moved to the left but stayed on the white rock. Then it moved sort of back and centered but turned itself horizontally. Then it moved back left to the very edge of the fresh whit erock. Then it got itself partway onto the rock it's currently on (hard to see, but it's the existing left rock in the tank). It stayed that way for maybe two days, then this morning it was moved slightly left and back, but dipping too much toward the sand, hence all the random rubble bits balancing the shell so there isn't as much strain on the foot.

This bloody bivalve and its midnight mood swings is going to be the death of me :lol:

Mine is on rocks now, but keeps migrating overnight. It's fine and open during the day, but sometime in the middle of the night (I'm a freak and stayed up for half an hour after all the house lights were off to catch it in the act & it didn't do anything) it keeps inching to the left.

Clam%204-14.jpg

It started facing vertically in the center of the fresh white rock on the darker bit of rubble. Then it moved to the left but stayed on the white rock. Then it moved sort of back and centered but turned itself horizontally. Then it moved back left to the very edge of the fresh whit erock. Then it got itself partway onto the rock it's currently on (hard to see, but it's the existing left rock in the tank). It stayed that way for maybe two days, then this morning it was moved slightly left and back, but dipping too much toward the sand, hence all the random rubble bits balancing the shell so there isn't as much strain on the foot.

This bloody bivalve and its midnight mood swings is going to be the death of me :lol:

What a pretty picture. The clam is absolutely gorgeous :wub:.

Archived