inTank Media Baskets

Jaime's IM Fusion 20- June update

owenj

:haha:

i can't wait to see, yay!

and i believe in fishie kismet. so we'll see what

fishie we pick up next. :)

i picked up a neon green trumpet coral (?) and also

my first tiniest one inch lobo at the LCS sale yesterday.

i mean, i won't pick up until tomorrow but excited!!

can't wait to see fotos!!

I love all the little eviota/trimma gobies so I imagine whatever I end up with will be a bit spontaneous :lol:. I've had meh luck with trumpets, though my turquoise ones are doing well. I'd like to try neons again because I'm such a sucker for green.

Since both heads are open right now, here's a cell phone pic. The lights are ramping down so it's not a clear or well-lit photo.

Dendro12-29.jpg

would love to see a top down of that plate! such a unique yellow mouth

You're asking a lot of my lack of camera skills :lol: I'll try tomorrow. I'm still moving stuff around so it's less than happy at the moment.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ooooh those actually look like mine!

i hope they do well! i think ours are not

the fathead variety.

and thanks on the ric question. i have had many

shrooms move but encouaging rics seems more

daunting. also didn't realize the trumpets could be

challenging. meep!

ooooh those actually look like mine! i hope they do well! i think ours are not the fathead variety. and thanks on the ric question. i have had many shrooms move but encouaging rics seems more daunting. also didn't realize the trumpets could be challenging. meep!

I've never had a sun coral/dendro so I'm not sure what the "fathead" is supposed to look like. These were marketed as fatheads, but whatevs. I like how they look so I'm not too fussed if they end up being something else :lol:. I'm kinda tempted to go back and get a single head for my IM 10, but I'm still in flux about what I want to put in there, so until I get more settled I'll hold off. Most of the single head dendros at the LFS weren't looking so hot either.

I've read a lot about people having their rics lift up and blow around the tank on a whim, but mine don't seem so inclined even if I'd like them to :rolleyes:. I really want my yuma to move off the frag plug since I can't cut the stalk off that one, but it hasn't so far. Trumpets are supposed to be easy--I think I'm the only one that has troubles with them :lol:

I've never had a sun coral/dendro so I'm not sure what the "fathead" is supposed to look like. These were marketed as fatheads, but whatevs. I like how they look so I'm not too fussed if they end up being something else :lol:. I'm kinda tempted to go back and get a single head for my IM 10, but I'm still in flux about what I want to put in there, so until I get more settled I'll hold off. Most of the single head dendros at the LFS weren't looking so hot either.

I've read a lot about people having their rics lift up and blow around the tank on a whim, but mine don't seem so inclined even if I'd like them to :rolleyes:. I really want my yuma to move off the frag plug since I can't cut the stalk off that one, but it hasn't so far. Trumpets are supposed to be easy--I think I'm the only one that has troubles with them :lol:

I think if you like the way something looks, and the price is right, who cares what it's called?? Other than... It is more helpful to know what you're getting so you can take care of it correctly!

My trumpet is pretty easy. I'd say it likes medium to high-ish flow. For the first few weeks in my tank, the trumpets I had were shriveled and small. Got them in the right flow and they are HUGE pillows pretty much all the time!!

New FTS: wondering how long that stalk of dragon's breath will last with a nem in the tank. Little sad because I got a big clump from the LFS only to have it die off/float away. This was the only stalk to anchor down.

If it doesn't do much better before then.. I'm making a trip to SeaTac/Bellevue in mid to late January, and I can bring some big pieces with me. I've got it growing like crazy here..

I think if you like the way something looks, and the price is right, who cares what it's called?? Other than... It is more helpful to know what you're getting so you can take care of it correctly!

My trumpet is pretty easy. I'd say it likes medium to high-ish flow. For the first few weeks in my tank, the trumpets I had were shriveled and small. Got them in the right flow and they are HUGE pillows pretty much all the time!!

Exactly :lol:

Yea, I moved my trumpets into a more light, more flow spot and they're looking better. My green ones never got settled, but I may give them a try again if I see a frag I like. I had just bought a sock frag and didn't see what it would look like--came as a long, twiggy two-head branch thing that I didn't like very much.

Looks like my uniquecorals order isn't coming today :closedeyes: I ordered on Saturday so it was probably too short of a turn around time. Next week then!

If it doesn't do much better before then.. I'm making a trip to SeaTac/Bellevue in mid to late January, and I can bring some big pieces with me. I've got it growing like crazy here..

That's super nice of you to offer! :flower: I did end up moving it into the IM 10 though because the urchin chewed through the hold fast pretty quick. I really like the urchin so I'm ok with not having macros in this tank :lol:

Happy New Year everyone :wizard:

Hoping to have a better year in 2015 as far as random fish deaths go. Clifford died sometime last night :tears: went from out and eating to dead in 24hrs. Grrrr. It looks like he had dropsy or something because all of his scales had that puffed out look. I'm guessing it was too much stress in a concentrated time? Only had him for a few weeks, then the tank move, then lots of tank rearranging. I'm grasping a bit at straws here because for the first 24hrs after the tank move he seemed fine. Gah, so frustrating :angry: Tested water params--all fine. WTF!

At least I still have Tug. Hopefully he doesn't get too stressed out by the partial new sandbed I put in today...the sand in this tank (and the IM 10) was almost like sugar sand and kept getting blown around by the new flow pattern, so I picked up some 1.0-2.0mm sand and replaced maybe 5lbs. The plate it much happier not being buried in sand dunes :lol: Pics tomorrow after the cloudiness settles. And I've managed to go a week without a blasto dying on me, so I'll hold onto that thought for support :rolleyes:.

Debating what fish to put in here. I'm still really tempted to try a helfrichi again and hope that whatever happened to the first one was a freak accident. Could try another Swissguard. Would like a YWG but don't know if they're ok about sharing their caves with other fish?

OH NO! i'm so sorry jaime. that is exactly what

happened to my blenny! :( i'm so sorry. *hugs*

yeah, no more disasters please!

as it were, i have a naked feather duster

in my rock and i have no idea if it's gonna live

or what. aiiiiii

These are the Days of Our Tanks...

FTS 1-2-2015

FTS1-2.jpg

I took the second spin stream off and put the stock outlet on since the sand was still getting blown around a little. I'm torn on whether or not I should keep things as they are, or if I should take out the second pump, go back to the Sicce 1.5 with the Y-slit, and put another pump for waterflow on like a Vortech? I'm worried it's too much flow for some of the more moderate flow LPS. But...I do have a Tracy Morgonian gorg coming on Tuesday :lol: so maybe it can take the brunt of it off the duncans.

Both of the torches are back in here instead of the IM 10. I'd like to put the green one up by the gold one, but I've read so many conflicting stories about torches doing great next to one another only to turn around and someone gets melted. :unsure:

Orange mouth green plate...totally going to call it the OMG plate now :P has been very good about having sand continuously blown onto it, having me shake it off, move it, etc. Here's my attempt at a top-down shot for Ninja. It's sort of at an angle on the sandbed right now.

GreenPlate1-2.jpg

Dendros tend to look their fluffiest at night. The left head retracts a lot randomly throughout the day, whereas the right head tends to stay fluffed out more or less constantly.

Dendros1-2.jpg

Still trying to find the right piece of plexiglass to use as a pseudo cover/lid. Evap on this tank is still crazy and I'm thinking an ATO is inevitable at this point. Also considering getting a Nanobox Duo to replace the Razor if I like how my Tide works out. I'm not a fan of how the Razor mounts onto the sides of the Fusion 20, and I'd like a bit more height above the tank. As it is now, I have to move the light back every time I do maintenance.

Happy 2015 to all!

That OMG plate is :wub:. I'm so glad it's doing well for you!!!!! Woohooo you're getting a morgonian :happydance:.

I was just about to post pretty much the exact same thing!!

That top down shot of the plate is awesome! Such a unique plate. Plate is now my fav coral. I saw a pic of what I thought to be a red plate for $30 from a local guy. I drove 45 mins to pick it up and it was standard orange just like the one I already have. But for $30, I took it anyways =). Also got 2 heads of dendros from him but they haven't opened....

That OMG plate is :wub:. I'm so glad it's doing well for you!!!!! Woohooo you're getting a morgonian :happydance:.

It's a huge relief both the plates are doing well after the tank moves. I think what killed my previous two was not temp acclimating them during the tank switch and some sand dune issues. I'm excited and nervous about the Morgonian :wacko: Never had gorgs before so not sure what to expect. I ordered mine from uniquecorals which described it as easy to care for, but Live Aquaris calls it difficult?

I was just about to post pretty much the exact same thing!!

:P moar plates!

That top down shot of the plate is awesome! Such a unique plate. Plate is now my fav coral. I saw a pic of what I thought to be a red plate for $30 from a local guy. I drove 45 mins to pick it up and it was standard orange just like the one I already have. But for $30, I took it anyways =). Also got 2 heads of dendros from him but they haven't opened....

Red plate at $30 would have been craaaaaaaaaazy! I really like the plates too but have been having so-so chances with them, but that's really on me and not on them being "fragile." I would love a blueish one again like I had. My dendros took a while to open up the first day and don't really fluff out fully until the lights are ramping down and close too off. Bet yours are just feeling a bit shy :lol:

I like watching my plate eat... It's pretty awesome

Agreed. I tend to drop food for it close to the mouth so there's less time for it to get stolen, but it's fun to drop food farther away and watch the plate shuttle it up to the mouth.

i just took my plate out. :(

i think it's a skeleton and the real estate is

too precious for me to leave for 6 months hoping

it'll birth babies. sad. no luck with it, not sure

if i'll try again.

i just took my plate out. :(

i think it's a skeleton and the real estate is

too precious for me to leave for 6 months hoping

it'll birth babies. sad. no luck with it, not sure

if i'll try again.

Aww, dislike :( I didn't have luck with my skeletons making babies either, but I only left them in the tank about a month. But, yea, with an 8g I can only imagine how tight space is! I'm having trouble planning out my 10g bc it's so small.

Well, figured I'd post some pics while the fish are still in the tank. I thought Tug was showing signs of ich, but every time I looked at him it seemed like the spots were gone. Well, new sharknose goby came yesterday and this morning both have definite spots :angry:. Actually, I had suspicions that the helfrichi had ich but never saw spots, and it only "flashed" in one spot, the same spot, of the tank, so I thought maybe it was just spastic. Ahh well, long story short, the 5gal QT is being prepped and I'm reading up on the tank transfer method and using Cupramine before deciding which to use. At least both fish still have an appetite and aren't riddled with spots.

FTS

FTS1-7.jpg

The tuxedo has been a machine in clearing out the algae. I found some "toasted" nori at the grocery store, only ingredient listed is seaweed so I don't think it was treated or salted or anything to be toasted. The urchin still hasn't found it, but I'm worried it isn't getting enough food now so I'll "spot" feed it once a week if I can. I've fed urchins at the public aquarium before by giving it a piece of seaweed and having it take it from my fingers, but it didn't work with this urch :lol:

Urchin1-7.jpg

My green skirt RFA came back into view. It's small and a bit bleached, but hopefully with more light and food it'll color up again. Only the green stripey one is unaccounted for, but I know its been moving around the rock a bit. The yellowish brown freebie is up on the top rock but Big Red is covering it up.

RFA1-7.jpg

I'm thinking about taking a hammer to the ric rock in an attempt to get some of them off. Worried they're getting too much flow there, but if I could move them up onto the rock with the b. merlettis they should get a reprieve (got one up there). I don't have many low-low flow areas in this tank on the sand bed.

Rics1-7.jpg

New "sunset" plate. It's freaking gorgeous-- bright orange body with yellowish tentacles that my camera couldn't really capture. I need to take a class on getting to know my camera :lol:

Sunsetplate1-7.jpg

The middleish section of the tank. I originally set this tank up, and got back into reefing in general, to have a clam. This photo isn't very good for showing where I'd like to put it since there's a rock in the way, but basically where the gorgonian is, since that'll be moving up onto a rock. I'm worried that eventually that would be too much light for the trumpets?

Middle1-7.jpg

Still waiting on my Vortech to get here so the Tracy Morgonian gorg isn't getting as much flow as I'm sure it would like. I also had to manhandle it a bit because it fell off its frag plug and gluing it to a piece of rubble was an adventure.

Morgonian1-7.jpg

Sharkbait II, since I'm pretty sure I called my first Sharknose "Sharkbait" too :lol:. Some spots on his pectoral (?) fins, not to be confused with the spots of my dirty glass :rolleyes:.

Sharknose1-7.jpg

This is what I get for never quarantining fish :slap:. Ugh, two months of no fish in the DT <_<

I got away unscathed for years without quarantining but now with seahorses I can't risk it anymore, (really shouldn't have before). I have a 10g connected to my sump that stays on line unless I am QT something or medicating. Then I just unplug the pump and run a HOB. It's a simple set up that is always ready and easy to use.

love the sunset plate too!

Thanks! Me too :D I'm wondering if its from the same subspecies/genus/whatever as my blue-green one was bc the tentacles and mouth look similar. Pretty cool how many different kinds of plates there are.

All awesome pics!

Sorry about your ich-y fish though...

I think the ich gods saw me commenting in your thread about never quarantining :P

I got away unscathed for years without quarantining but now with seahorses I can't risk it anymore, (really shouldn't have before). I have a 10g connected to my sump that stays on line unless I am QT something or medicating. Then I just unplug the pump and run a HOB. It's a simple set up that is always ready and easy to use.

I knew I was just tempting ich fate :lol: I don't run a sump and part of the allure of nano tanks was the ability to successfully keep a tank without one, so I'm sumpless (plus no space for one in my current setup). I may start keeping a small sponge in the back chamger so it's seeded with bacteria. Little late for that now as these guys will have to weather it through just water changes.

Archived