Cultivated Reef

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

mitten_reef

There may be an entirely different way of looking at this....let me get my biochem nerd hat on.

What if instead of looking at alk consumption from corals' perspective, we look at the Zooxanthellae bioactivity level?  we know they photosynthesize.  photosynthesis takes CO2, which underwater is only available in the form of H2CO3 (carbonic acid) or HCO3, aka bicarbonate (alk) forms.  Thus, during lights-on hours, there appear to be accelerated uptake of alk while in fact the zoox are pulling in HCO3 to produce sugar and other caloric consumables to share with corals.  Afterall, they have symbiosis relationship coral hosts zoox, zoox makes dinner (or do they become dinner?).  During lights-out then, zoox went from photosynthesis to respiration mode - thus the pH drops at night because increased dissolved CO2 > increased carbonic acid > more free carbonate again. 

Side note: bicarbonate is a really good buffer, it maintains pH balance in human body.  Seachem Aquavitro's "eight.four" name sounds like a pH-chasing product, but it is actually their alk dosing component. 

Does this random thought of mine have anything to do with how the corals themselves utilize HCO3?  Perhaps not.  I just had the thought that zoox may have an important role the light cycle alk fluctuation.  I'm sure corals do absorb Ca and HCO3 directly for skeletal growth.  But growth also is more likely when they're happily fed, either by us or by zoox.   

I'm very much interested in following your findings about day/night alk consumption - as I've been wondering that myself. 

7 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

There may be an entirely different way of looking at this....let me get my biochem nerd hat on.

Much of that went over my head, but I think the important point to remember is that regardless of the process the ocean is big enough to buffer the change.  I ASSUME, i think teeny's question about shallow tidepools is a good one.  

Review

9.3 at 4pm
8.8 at 6:30pm
8.6 at 8:30pm
8.5 at 6AM
8.1 at 4PM 

7.9 at 6:30PM

7.7 at 8:30PM

8.0 at 6:30AM

I expected Alk to rise due to Kalk dosing and it did. I expected up to .3 and testing twice I got 8.0 twice so I think this is a decent reading. There should have been some usage after the 8:30 reading due to the blue LEDs being on full blast until 9:30. Most likely I am dosing more Kalk that I thought, which is likely since it's a guess based on how long topoff lasts. 5 gallons last a little over 5 days. 

So, if all goes as expected this evenings Alk should be 7.2 KH, tomorrow morning 7.5, tomorrow evening 6.7 if I don't turn on the doser.

Running the calculator and getting the amount to raise Alk from 6.7 to 7.5 I get aprox 80ml (I'm using 140 gallons as tank volume + sump - equipment and rocks).

Doser is set to 120ml over 24 hours so what I think I will do is put it on a timer so it goes on Saturday at 10am and off at 10pm. This should dose 60ml which is not enough to fully maintain Alk. A good start. 

• Like 3

I had a little birdie talk about the Mindstream a bit within the last month. I think it will be the perfect piece of equipment for you Mark. 

Do you think you could skip the dosing and tweak the ATO KALK? 

3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I had a little birdie talk about the Mindstream a bit within the last month. I think it will be the perfect piece of equipment for you Mark. 

Do you think you could skip the dosing and tweak the ATO KALK? 

Mindstream is still vaporware isn't it.   For 'under $900' it better be good.  :)

Kalk is saturated, no way to increase how much I dose unless I increase evaporation, which I don't want to do. I also like to use it at night to help keep the PH up.   

Naturally power is out. Why I even try. lol prob be 2 hours before restored. UPS WORKING fine. No 40 backup not.   I was forced to switch to iPhone. This thug is a piece of shit 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, markalot said:

Naturally power is out. Why I even try. lol prob be 2 hours before restored. UPS WORKING fine. No 40 backup not.   I was forced to switch to iPhone. This thug is a piece of shit 

How long does the UPS last for your tank?  

Generator getting about 6 hours per tank of gas.  Right now just pulling 125 watts with critical equipment on both tanks running.  Flow pumps, HOB sump on 40, flow pumps in this sump, and the nitrate reactor so I don't end up with dead bacteria and fouled water.  I think it's set, charging the UPS back up in case generator fails to give me a little extra time.  Current prediction is 4PM TOMORROW!  

I LOL at the way everything runs smooth for a year, then one fun event after another.

Go go Champion 1500 watt generator.   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Asureef said:

Why is your power out? 

We had storms knocked out a lot of power around the area.

Power back on at 11:45.  75.8 in the big tank, 75.4 in the 40 gallon.  Used 4 gallons of gas in the generator.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, markalot said:

We had storms knocked out a lot of power around the area.

Power back on at 11:45.  75.8 in the big tank, 75.4 in the 40 gallon.  Used 4 gallons of gas in the generator.

Whew! 

As usual, your tank threads are inspiring me to get new equipment. Last time it was the T5's for the IM40. Now you've reminded me I've been meaning to get a small generator for years now...

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see a graph of the 24 hour cycle after several days to smooth out any irregular measurements. 

• Like 2

Generator is set for 6 months of storage.  Added 1 oz of Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer, ran for 5 minutes, then turned off fuel line to starve the motor as instructed.  Will need to start and run for 15 minutes in November or December, plus topoff with gas and more StaBil.

mj9qLxP.jpg

y59pCKT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1