ReefCleaners.org

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

8 hours ago, Asureef said:

Impressive that you were able to stop the STN on that Deepwater.  Those smooth skin acros are hard to stop once they start STN.  I think I’m on the verge of losing my Hawkins again!  

I’ve saved a 2” frag from my last colony that decided to go, now the frag I’ve been growing for the last few months is doing the same.  But I suspect this time, the mucus from my Monti caused the issue.  My sunset and rainbow Monti have been fighting and that slime they’re creating being carried by the flow and straight into my hawkins. 

See, that's another reason I suspect I don't have a Hawkins, it's shown zero issues.  Either that or I have mis-diagnosed the Lokani problem and it was unrelated to water quality.  LOL, typical SPS mystery.  

Top down of the Lokani, it looks to be growing again, the middle stump is where I took the only frag that lived.

XIjQ2V8.jpg

These were taken with the kit lens.  Poor color and contrast, but much wider angle.

Pink Milli

yIL5csu.jpg

Big valida

wnKvh60.jpg

Red Robin with the parent Pink Milli below it.

8eYmwoH.jpg

Smaller Katropora

j6fTIOL.jpg

My original colony of the Katropora

AQZhZwB.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, markalot said:

Top down of the Lokani, it looks to be growing again, the middle stump is where I took the only frag that lived.

XIjQ2V8.jpg

These were taken with the kit lens.  Poor color and contrast, but much wider angle.

Pink Milli

yIL5csu.jpg

Big valida

wnKvh60.jpg

Red Robin with the parent Pink Milli below it.

8eYmwoH.jpg

Smaller Katropora

j6fTIOL.jpg

My original colony of the Katropora

AQZhZwB.jpg

You might need a bigger tank soon..:eek:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So I was looking at the tank over the weekend and thinking, man, it's been a long time since anything failed.    LOL

Topoff quit working sometime yesterday, it was almost sucking air by the time I got home.  Fortunately no equipment failed, just my long feeder line from the resavour  (I hate that word, spelled so bad spell checker can;t even figure it out) to the pump clogged up and could not move any water.   With the new hose I expect the tank will overfill so this should be fun to figure out a new timer schedule.   

STN on the Lokani stopped, yay.  The SSC still looks bad and has started to die in the middle.  I figured as much.   I told it it will make a nice shelf for another acro once it decides to die.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That is how it goes. When it rains is pours. 

Curious about the SSC. With the added growth of everything else is it blocked by another coral for flow?

11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

That is how it goes. When it rains is pours. 

Curious about the SSC. With the added growth of everything else is it blocked by another coral for flow?

I've redirected a few pumps and it seems to have plenty.  I think it was hurt pretty bad when I dosed NOPOX and dropped nutrients too low and being an SSC it's going to be tough to get any part of it to recover.   There are two branches with some yellow, the rest are blue/red and the middle is now dead and spreading.  I flipped it off earlier this evening, we'll see what happens.  :)  

KH is right at 7 and has been there for almost a month now, all I can do is keep the routine stable and hope for the best.

• Like 2

... and it's gone.

LmABIwe.png

So now I choose what goes in its place. 

If you want to keep acros, you need to understand that even though I'm fairly numb to this when you lose a pretty acro this big it's still like getting kicked in the nuts and then pissed on.     #### you SSC, I never even liked you, I was just pretending.    Like I needed to remember what my younger days and dating was like.  :D

Totally over it.  Totally.

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
6 minutes ago, markalot said:

... and it's gone.

LmABIwe.png

So now I choose what goes in its place. 

If you want to keep acros, you need to understand that even though I'm fairly numb to this when you lose a pretty acro this big it's still like getting kicked in the nuts and then pissed on.     #### you SSC, I never even liked you, I was just pretending.    Like I needed to remember what my younger days and dating was like.  :D

Sorry to see that @markalot  but I’m sure you have plenty other acros that need more elbow room to stretch out and take the place of the ssc. ?

• Like 1

Is very true.  :)

Last good healthy picture of it.   You can see the health issues already, but I ignored them.  Lack of flow in the center is causing stress.  Is it just flow, was it me playing with NOPOX, was it something else.  Will never know.

Toodles.

LnDHndI.jpg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, markalot said:

Last good healthy picture of it.   You can see the health issues already, but I ignored them.  Lack of flow in the center is causing stress.  Is it just flow, was it me playing with NOPOX, was it something else.  Will never know.

Toodles.

LnDHndI.jpg

Damn..

Mark, it was a beauty!!

hopefully, mine will make it to that size one day.  Sorry for the lost man!  

Maybe a pink lemonade or orange passion can its place? 

Thats if you don’t already have those.

HarryPotter
15 minutes ago, markalot said:

Toodles.

LnDHndI.jpg

What health issues? The symptom of lack of flow is curly corallites?  

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

What health issues? The symptom of lack of flow is curly corallites?  

The discoloration in the center of the coral.  It was brilliant red and yellow throughout but color started to fade from the center out, then 1 month later, yesterday, it died from the center out.  

I never remounted my second MP40 after the new basket arrived, I think I will place it on the back center facing forward to relieve some possible low flow issues.  Both the SSC and if you look at the top down, the Lokani, were in the center of the tank.  Lost the SSC, lost half of the Lokani.    Who knows, but more flow can't hurt.  

Sad to see but part of it. At least it looked pretty damn nice for a while! 

I think people failures in smaller tanks is flow once they reach a certain point. Mo flow, mo happy corals. :P

I am thinking a nice piece of Walt Disney would look nice there. 

-Dave

3 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

I think people failures in smaller tanks is flow once they reach a certain point. Mo flow, mo happy corals. :P

-Dave

Tenuis, good god man, I've killed 3 already, not sure I want to go for a third! :D      Yep, part of it.  

• Like 1
HarryPotter
25 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

-Dave

I keep on adding more pumps to my display... Right now theres a vertical CP40 on full (6500gph), a MP40 at 70% (3000gph), two PP4s (each 1000gph), and the return which is about 700 after head loss. So like 12,000gph... In a 72 gallon display. And there are still a few dead spots! Id like to get two more PP4s in the future to go behind my rock work and keep flow going there. Corals get blasted, but they dont seem to mind. The milliporas love it. My goal is to just be on the line between lifting up the sand and having no cyano haha.

• Like 1

As a bonus, I think the Xenia are going to hate more flow.  Seems like a win win, only lazy reefer syndrome in the way at the moment.  

• Haha 1
HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, markalot said:

As a bonus, I think the Xenia are going to hate more flow.  Seems like a win win, only lazy reefer syndrome in the way at the moment.  

I would recommend the Jebao CP150s [Link]; the flow is so much wider and more intense than Vortechs. MP40qd has 4500 gph, these have 7500gph and only ~$115. They dont stick out into the tank as much either, although they are larger for sure. Mine is vertical, the top part aiming a different direction than the bottom. Has a bunch of modes too. Even if they last 2 years, you could get 6 of them for the price of a MP60QD (Equivalent GPH). 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, markalot said:

Tenuis, good god man, I've killed 3 already, not sure I want to go for a third! 

Wtf. I'm like the opposite of you. I kill everything except for Tenius. They are bullet proof in my tank for some odd reason. *knock on wood*

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

I would recommend the Jebao CP150s [Link]; the flow is so much wider and more intense than Vortechs. MP40qd has 4500 gph, these have 7500gph and only ~$115. They dont stick out into the tank as much either, although they are larger for sure. Mine is vertical, the top part aiming a different direction than the bottom. Has a bunch of modes too. Even if they last 2 years, you could get 6 of them for the price of a MP60QD (Equivalent GPH). 

I have a pile of dead Jaebos, first generation.  I have a nice collection of Tunze's now I might try, with wide flow.  Also some really old AC pumps that are weak, but might do the trick if placed specifically to deal with a dead spot.  

• Like 1

Katropora is liking the additional flow I added 2 months ago, but it's losing the cool shape as the branches bend back.

qR6AD4g.jpg

No complaints about the color though!

I was worried the Hawkins might be the next to show stress but it's still growing and healthy so hopefully I'm out of the woods.

uyuuX3t.jpg

The Red *cough*brown*cough* Robin is the last 'red' acro I have and it's still growing well.  

O7ALbEi.jpg

FTS

GCIJgrI.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, markalot said:

Katropora is liking the additional flow I added 2 months ago, but it's losing the cool shape as the branches bend back.

qR6AD4g.jpg

No complaints about the color though!

I was worried the Hawkins might be the next to show stress but it's still growing and healthy so hopefully I'm out of the woods.

uyuuX3t.jpg

The Red *cough*brown*cough* Robin is the last 'red' acro I have and it's still growing well.  

O7ALbEi.jpg

FTS

GCIJgrI.jpg

Always fantastic to see an update on this tank- especially the FTS!  In the nano world full of booger frags and macro zooms, THIS is what a reef tank is all about to me.  What an inspiration! 

• Like 2
HarryPotter
14 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Always fantastic to see an update on this tank- especially the FTS!  In the nano world full of booger frags and macro zooms, THIS is what a reef tank is all about to me.  What an inspiration! 

I absolutely agree with this! These days the "fancy" coral sellers chase colors, while their colonies are around 4 inches wide maximum due to all the fragging. Its very rare to see large colonies of aquacultured corals, even more so in a hobbiest tank. 

• Like 2

The Lokani started to RTN again, so this frag may be all I have left.  

SJVSGFA.jpg

The frag on the right just poofed, but a smaller one I made 2 days ago (not pictured) is still alive ,,, for now.   You can see this frag has encrusted so I have high hopes.