Pod Your Reef

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

If you take off the wide angle lenses and put the stock ones back on, reduce your overall intensity a bit to reduce the higher PAR output. Don't want to shock anything.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Markburns43

That's why indidnt do it yet imfigurednid get more par and imrecently increased the intensity, accually i dont even have other lenses to throw on somi guess illwait, thanks evan

So, a few updates.

I am running my skimmer only at night now. Just trying it out to see if I can get some better macro algae growth (pod production station).

I took the 12k peak out of my program. It was a bit much on the corals. I started to see some paling and burnt(ish) tips. So, back to 14k at 90% for 7 hours.

When the Radion Gen 3 Pro upgrade arrives I will reduce the intensity down and work my way up over a few weeks. I might go down to 65% and work my way up to maybe 75% or 80%, never exceeding 14k.

I am going to be using the ilovereefing Radion graph for the foreseeable future. It seems pretty tried and true ;)

Changed my mind. I am doing with the Radiant graph at 100%, until I get the Gen 3 Pro upgrade.

Also, no more filter socks!

So, I am using the Radiant graph now. I adjusted the the 3 high points. I wanted 16k on either side of my 14k peak. Also, I added some more red in the evenings. I like the purple look.

The Gen 3 Pro clusters will arrive on Thursday. Very excited :scarry:omgomgomg:happydance:

HarryPotter

So, I am using the Radiant graph now. I adjusted the the 3 high points. I wanted 16k on either side of my 14k peak. Also, I added some more red in the evenings. I like the purple look.

The Gen 3 Pro clusters will arrive on Thursday. Very excited :scarry:omgomgomg:happydance:

Going 2 Pro to 3 Pro?

Do you know of the benefits of the newer cluster? I have the 2 Pro :)

Going from Gen 2 to Gen 3 Pro

Higher PAR output, UV channel, yellow channel, and better blues (more too I think)

HarryPotter

Waiting for my package to be delivered. omgomgomg I am thinking about making a video of the upgrade.

I'm so curious the before and after. Like in happy with the 2 Pro in my 27x 21x19 tall, but I wonder if the 3 Pro makes a large difference

I am extremely curious to see a difference, if there is one. I would guess there is going to be a major difference. More blue, higher PAR, and that UV spectrum.

Well, I broke my Radion :S The install went fine, but EcoSmart won't see the Radion now. It doesn't register. I followed their support for resetting the Radion, but I can't fully reset it because the option is greyed out. Help!

12_egg_Omelette

Any idea what happens when you add a gen 3 lens to a gen 2 module. Do the channels not get used if you keep the program the same?

Hey, sorry, I didn't see this notification! Yes, I would assume that if you do not alter your current schedule, the UV spectrum is not used. I will report back later today. Mine are due to be delivered today. UPS originally said before 10am, now that is pushed to 3pm. Typical UPS...

I guess I need to make a quick update about my light situation. On Thursday I called EcoTech and they walked me through a bunch of troubleshooting. Awesome CS over there by the way. They concluded that the clusters were a bad batch, apparently they have had some of those lately, and they sent me new clusters overnight. Since the brown delivery service sucks so badly, I will get them today. Overnight = 3 days :slap:

Since then though, I put the Gen 2 clusters back in my Radion. The CS rep at EcoTech walked me through some ESL troubleshooting to get my light to work. ESL was fixed and my light has been working over my fixture. I will update on the Gen 3 Pro upgrade later this afternoon.

The new clusters are in the fixture and currently lighting my system :) It was super easy to replace and the light booted up as soon as I plugged in the power supply. ESL recognized it immediately as the G3 Pro too. So, it was a bad set of clusters I originally received. Or the cable that connects the clusters to the board. They wanted me to replace that too. Either way, something was bad.

Also, going back to basics with blues in the mornings and evenings (really the Radiant Coral setting) with a 5 hour plateau of 14k. Currently at 50% intensity with a 2 week acclimation up to 70%

Very similar to my older graph with 14k. This just doesn't have the 12k climb and peak.

19501489870_43e8eb7b4b_c.jpgScreen Shot 2015-07-14 at 8.05.47 AM by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

Markburns43

Im currently running the 12k throuhh the day for my main spectrum , do younperfer the 14k over 12k as looks go or is there more to a cooler spectrum that would promote something for the coral. My tank looks more colorful with 14k but its just my eyes that like it do the corals as well i would like more understanding how the different spectrums affect how a coral grows ig you have any knowledge?

So, here goes.

My understanding is the lower spectrums like 12k, 10k and lower appear very yellow to the eye, but promote growth in corals more so than the higher spectrums.

Spectrums such as 14k, 16k, 18k and so on have more blue and promote florescence in the zooxanthellae more so than the lower spectrums. So, I believe there is a trade off as far as growth and color in traditional lighting systems, in my opinion. Not to say there can't be both, I am just stating that if you use only a 12k MH bulb, you will get great growth and adequate color. If you only use a 20k MH bulb, you might get excellent color, but not nearly the growth rates you were seeing under just the 12k. LEDs are a different story :happy: So many combinations.

My personal favorite spectrum, that has done well for me and met my expectations, is 14k.

Oh, and I didn't even notice, but EcoTech sent me a gift with my replacement clusters. It was in the bottom of the box and I didn't see it until now. The gave me some really nice bone cutters. Thanks again EcoTech!

A few updates

• The Radion is going strong. Literally. This light is so much more powerful than the Gen 2 its crazy! I need to watch the acclimation to not only avoid frying some coral, but possibly boiling the water. Jk
  • I thought I had some nice blue coloration from the Gen 2. Wow, is the Gen 3 Pro's blue that much more intense! I have never seen such blue!
  • I love the UV spectrum. There is a certain pop that it adds.
  • I am using the Radiant Coral graph, but modified. I changed the 3 highest points to 14k. That runs 5 hours each day.
  • I have taken Fuel out of the regiment. I have been seeing some diatoms in the sand.
  • Reef Chili is fed every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night when the lights are out.
  • Skimmer is going strong.
  • Refugium is in a better growth rate. I am still going to seed it though.

Pictures to come!

A few updates

• The Radion is going strong. Literally. This light is so much more powerful than the Gen 2 its crazy! I need to watch the acclimation to not only avoid frying some coral, but possibly boiling the water. Jk
  • I thought I had some nice blue coloration from the Gen 2. Wow, is the Gen 3 Pro's blue that much more intense! I have never seen such blue!
  • I love the UV spectrum. There is a certain pop that it adds.
  • I am using the Radiant Coral graph, but modified. I changed the 3 highest points to 14k. That runs 5 hours each day.
  • I have taken Fuel out of the regiment. I have been seeing some diatoms in the sand.
  • Reef Chili is fed every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night when the lights are out.
  • Skimmer is going strong.
  • Refugium is in a better growth rate. I am still going to seed it though.

Pictures to come!

Looks very good. I love Ecotech. I'm on the fence on upgrading my 2 Gen 2 lights to pros.

Archived