Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

So riddle me this Batman:

While increasing my feeding regiment (by a ton) and decreasing mechanical filtration, my algae and diatom problems have decreased significantly. What's up with that?

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best guess is that you are providing other, more beneficial organisms, the proper nutrients they require in order to out-compete the nasties. A balanced reef is a happy reef. :)

That would be my guest too. When are you starting your next reef?

Who knows... looking like closer to the new year at this point. If we haven't moved by the end of January imma just get the tank and move it with us.

• 4 weeks later...

Things are going well for the system. I have since stopped caring about nitrates and phosphates all together and things have never grown faster or looked better. That's right, I have stopped testing nitrates and phosphates. I think its a bunch of phooy.

• Colors are richer and deeper.
  • Macro algae is out of control.
  • Huge increase in microfauna.
  • Skimmer runs 24 hours now instead of just 12 hours.
  • Photoperiod is 12 hours with 7 hours being moderate light.
  • Photoperiod of refugium light is 14 hours.
  • Added Marinepure block (possible increase of the microfauna)
  • Took GFO offline completely.
  • Feeding small amounts 4 times daily.

After the new year I am going to start building the frame work of my new stand. I hope to have it done and the tank put on it before the end of January. Then to skin it with reclaimed barn wood and old marine fixtures.

Things are going well for the system. I have since stopped caring about nitrates and phosphates all together and things have never grown faster or looked better. That's right, I have stopped testing nitrates and phosphates. I think its a bunch of phooy.

• Colors are richer and deeper.
  • Macro algae is out of control.
  • Huge increase in microfauna.
  • Skimmer runs 24 hours now instead of just 12.
  • Photoperiod is 12 hours with 7 hours being moderate light.
  • Photoperiod of refugium light is 14 hours.
  • Added Marinepure block (possible increase of the microfauna)
  • Took GFO offline completely.
  • Feeding small amounts 4 times daily.

After the new year I am going to start building the frame work of my new stand. I hope to have it done and the tank put on it before the end of January. Then to skin it with reclaimed barn wood and old marine fixtures.

Whats the new tank? Or just new stand?

So riddle me this Batman:

While increasing my feeding regiment (by a ton) and decreasing mechanical filtration, my algae and diatom problems have decreased significantly. What's up with that?

Same. By kicking out all chemical media (carbon, GFO, etc) my diatoms disappeared

I had some algae issues when my nutrient levels were super low which always confused me, I wonder if perhaps the low/no nutrients cause a continuous die off on the rocks which then promotes algae growth and unwanted bacteria populations. I think modern skimmers and nutrient removal systems are a little too good. Tank is looking good btw, more picture please. :)

Thats a good theory! Since my tank has been getting more and more food, with the skimmer on only 12 hours, my diatoms have diminished exponentially.

I am actually trying to get my nitrates higher. Either my macro algae and my marinepure block have curbed any nitrate build up or my test kit is faulty. Constantly reads zero parts per million.

Oh, and I will take some new pictures tomorrow when my new arrivals get here in the morning :)

Tank is looking really good Evan, sorry I haven't visited in a while. I can't see pics in the forums here but I can visit your flickr page and view them ... last FTS available is simply fantastic.

Hey thanks Mark! I appreciate that. Are my pictures not posting properly in my thread? :S

Firewall issues with flickr and where I work. I can see the main site and people I follow via https://flickr.combut not direct image links.

I can never keep track of how many cups of salt it takes of HWMarine salt to mix into 5 or 10 gallons. I always forget and instead of writing it down I am sitting here like an idiot pouring in a sprinkle of salt every so often to get to 1.025 SG.

So, my seriatpora and my pocillopora are showing some signs of tissue loss. Its kind of patchy, meaning its not solely from the base or tips.

After my 10 gallon water change tonight I did a few water tests. dKH - 8.1, Ca - 425ppm, Mg - 1300ppm, PO4 - 0.0ppm (Hanna checker that I don't fully trust) and NO3 - undetectable.

I've been feeding chopped PE mysis (5ml) three times daily with some flakes, pellets and green algae in there too.

Radion (Gen 3 Pro) was on 14K for 7 hours at 65%, but recently I switched to Radiant Color at 70%. I don't think this is the issue, but just throwing out all potential factors.

Any help I'd absolutely appreciate!

The only time I've seen my birds have lost tissue is when my KH spiked. These so called easy SPS seem to be even more sensitive than acros. Other than that I would say feed heavier. My Poci went downhill when I injured my back and the tank went mostly unfed for a few days. PO4 and NO3 dropped to 0 and they have yet to recover from it.

Archived