Pod Your Reef

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did some testing tonight. Potassium is still really low. Under 320ppm. I have been dosing 1.4ml of each A,B,C and D daily. I am going to increase doses to 2ml per day and see if that keeps some elements in the water.

Let's see that new acro ?. I tried to hit the aquarium when I was out there but they were closed- I peeked through the front door and it looked like a really nice store

In all of its 36 megapixel glory! I actually busted out the ole tripod and a filter (a real life one, not these on screen kahjigger filters)

24486958520_eb38253a36_k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In all of its 36 megapixel glory! I actually busted out the ole tripod and a filter (a real life one, not these on screen kahjigger filters)

Looks fantastic, I missed it last week when you posted this.

Looking good, the corals have great colour.

Thanks so much! Theyre starting to really get some good color

Looks fantastic, I missed it last week when you posted this.

Thanks a lot!

Not sure how I missed your post either but it's looking great!

Thanks Jackie!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The reef has been running too clean lately. I've removed the filter socks and have increased my nighttime feedings. Tomorrow I will cut but a lot of the macro algae.

The trace elements are not getting detected at my current 4ml a day of Red Sea Coral Colors ABCD. Increasing dosing tomorrow.

Since Iron and Potassium are both undetectable in my tests, I've increased the ABCD supplements from 4.0ml a day to 6.0ml a day. I'll test in a few days to see where things are at.

CronicReefer

Those are some great shots. What is the name of the first acro you posted? That coral looks to have some really nice color to it.

Those are some great shots. What is the name of the first acro you posted? That coral looks to have some really nice color to it.

Hey thanks! I appreciate the compliment! To be honest, I have no idea what it is. The guy who I bought it from said it was a blueberry something.

• 2 weeks later...

You sir have almost convinced me I don't need a second radion when I upgrade to a bigger tank.!!

Your tank looks amazing as well!!!

A. I love the bike in the avatar!

B. I have the wide angle 120 degree lenses and it covers the 36 inches very well.

Thanks for the compliment. I am going to upgrade my stand very soon and alter a few things in the system. New sand, get rid of a few corals, etc.

So after some light research, I am 99% sure that the source of my persistent diatoms on the sand bed are being caused by silicates leaching from the sand bed.

Here is why I think the sand bed is the source:

• No TDS readings from the RODI water, consistently.
  • Other reefers have had the same persistent issue with the same sand taken from the same geographical area (secret spot :rolleyes:)
  • I've cut back on the phytoplankton/zooplankton feedings drastically to only once a week with half the dosage.
  • I've cut back on the Reef Chili feedings drastically to only once a week with half the dosage.
  • I've increased flow to a steady flow (Lagoonal instead of Reef Crest) and regularly stir the sand once a week to break up the diatoms with the hope to get any nutrients in the sand exported. (1" bed)
  • No significant nutrients, consistently. No NO3 or PO4, multiple tests with the same readings.
  • I've cut back on fish feedings to the lowest limit I'm comfortable with.

Here is why I do not think the sand bed is the source:

• Possibly not enough bacteria populations to compete for the little nutrients in the water.
  • Too much light and flow feeding the diatoms with the little nutrients in the water.
  • Overdose of Iron supplement (Iron tests always come back super low, not high).

The sand I have was collected locally by a local forum member. At the time, he did some analysis on the sand (whatever that might entail) and concluded that it was perfectly safe to use in reefs and not a silica sand. I am beginning to think otherwise. Looking through my local forum I have come across others with similar issues with sand from the same source. Plus a very heated debate. I've had it for years (as well as this recurring diatom outbreak) and I think its time for a change.

Any thoughts?

In other news

My Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump died yesterday. I turn off my return pump when I feed. Fed, waited about 5 minutes or so, go back to turn on my return pump and nothing happens. I thought it was jammed with something. Cleaned it, placed it back in the sump, turn it on and nothing but a short groan. I tried different outlets other than my Apex. Same story. Kind of a bummer since its only a couple years old.

I did buy myself a new toy though. :happydance:

The Stand

The new stand is pretty much done. I have a few more things to do to it after I move it downstairs. Electric panel, the top and bottom panels, plumbing, etc. Having it completely done before mid April is my goal, before I go out of town.

I'm new to Ogden and am seeking good LFSs in my area and down through SLC. The only one I've been at is Aquatic Dreams in Clearfield which seems OK but there has to me more, better places. Do you have your favorite place for livestock and corals and maybe a different one for everyday hardware and supplies?

Any suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

The tank and sump are on the new stand. The plumbing is done and the new sand is in too. Now I just have to organize so many cords.

Archived