Cultivated Reef

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

First coral of 2016 is a beautiful acropora carduus! :wub: I'll snap a picture tomorrow.

Tonight is the first night I begin zooplankton and phytoplankton feeding B)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First coral of 2016 is a beautiful acropora carduus! :wub: I'll snap a picture tomorrow.

Tonight is the first night I begin zooplankton and phytoplankton feeding B)

Nice. Red Dragon or a different color morph?

So, I have been feeding zooplankton and phytoplankton to my reef the last few nights. All I can say is wow! ALL of my corals are more vibrant and the PE is incredible.

23550088234_b10eaa121e_k.jpgIMG_2824 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

FTS Jan 4th. iPhone shot, so not the best color representation.

24178286045_b51ea69011_k.jpgIMG_2825 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

The red dragon frag with baby blue tips, not iPhone washed out white ;) Also a good shot of Blenny in his shell

23810472199_3536baaafe_k.jpgIMG_2827 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

First acanthastrea lordhowensis in a few years. Red with yellow stripes.

23551508123_15fbdb1e9e_k.jpgIMG_2828 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

And my favorite addition as of late. :)

Tanks looking great! I am in Salt lake (sandy) this week and probably next. How is Rocky Mountain frags- I thought about trying to visit them but their site doesn't list much info- seems like an Internet only gig- are they open to the public? Really nice coral selection online ?

Hey thanks! I appreciate the compliment!

To be honest I've never heard of them. I'll send you a PM of a list of good stores here

Alkalinity was 9.3dKH this morning. Calcium has been a steady 425ppm. A bit off from my target parameters. I'd like to shoot for 9dkH and 450ppm for calcium.

I ordered a couple of fish and they should be here tomorrow :)

Incredibly disappointed in LiveAquaria right now. 3 out of 5 fish from two separate orders have died within hours of introduction to my reef. :angry:

I feel like I should actually wait to hear from them before I divulge any specific information. All I'll say is I'm currently very skeptical of future orders from them.

Tanks looking great! I am in Salt lake (sandy) this week and probably next. How is Rocky Mountain frags- I thought about trying to visit them but their site doesn't list much info- seems like an Internet only gig- are they open to the public? Really nice coral selection online ?

The owners name is Jared Butler. He runs it out of his home so you would probably just need to contact him to see. I haven't been to his place since he moved a few years ago but back then his stuff was spectacular!

23550088234_b10eaa121e_k.jpgIMG_2824 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

FTS Jan 4th. iPhone shot, so not the best color representation.

24178286045_b51ea69011_k.jpgIMG_2825 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

The red dragon frag with baby blue tips, not iPhone washed out white ;) Also a good shot of Blenny in his shell

23810472199_3536baaafe_k.jpgIMG_2827 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

First acanthastrea lordhowensis in a few years. Red with yellow stripes.

23551508123_15fbdb1e9e_k.jpgIMG_2828 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

And my favorite addition as of late. :)

Looking awesome as usual and I love that IKEA cart ;)

So I was credited for the loss of a fish from my most recent order. I was sent the skinniest green mandarin I've ever seen. Severely disappointed in the quality of fish I was sent. So sad.

Evan, did you get the blackworms from F4U? If so, how are they doing over there? I haven't been back since our "falling out" but still wonder after them occasionally. Really hope the rumors I heard are not true.

So most of clam was gone in a few hours, except the most meaty parts. The guts and stuff stuck on the inside of the shell were picked clean.

None of the fish know what to make of the black worms. I turned off all water movement and put a few in the tank and the only one interested in the worms was my sixline. I thought they'd go crazy over moving potential food. :S

Did my water tests last night. Alkalinity and calcium have slightly dropped, which I think happened due to the new corals. Alkalinity was 8.7dKH and calcium was 420ppm. Going to up alkalinity dosing from 25ml to 30ml per day and calcium from 30ml to 35ml a day.

The zooplankton and phytoplankton feedings are showing amazing results. I've never seen my reef so healthy looking. Coral colors are deepening and becoming very vibrant. Except the red corals I have are taking a bit longer to get back their richness.

My daily rituals are very minimalistic these days. It was a New Years resolution for me.

I dose alkalinity and calcium

I dose a few drops of Pohls

Clean the front glass panel

Feed the fish 3 times (clam shucking is only 3 times a week)

Broadcast feed zooplankton/phytoplankton for 1 hour after lights out. Circulation pump is off.

That's it. My weekly schedule is simple now too.

Clean the skimmer

5 gallon water change

Change Vortech flow

Clean edges of the glass in tank with a razor blade

Tried feeding more black worms tonight. The clownfish, tang, sixline and blenny like them. Two of the eight chromis love them. The copperband, whom I bought the worms for in the first place, has no interest in them at all. It sees them moving around, swims up to them and then bails. -_-

Archived