inTank Media Baskets

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

A few updates

• Black worms don't seem to be such a hit. I have tried at least 6 feedings so far. Some fish like my sixline and one of my clownfish love them. The other fish think they do, but lose interest quickly. The copperband has never even tried one. My betta fish however, loves them so much. He goes into full killing mode when I put some in his water.

• ​Trying out lower lighting. I feel like I am bleaching some of the red corals.

• So at night when I bust out the flashlight I have noticed that all the undersides of the SPS that are higher in the reef are pale. Just the undersides though, minus the red corals which is all over.

• Dosing Marine Snow has been a great addition. All the colors (minus red) are much deeper and brighter. Polyp extension is wicked good.
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know. Are they Harry?

I think so; all my caps are only colorful on top? Also for my mini colony of NOT RED PLANET it's color is paler on the underside.

SPS keep their color on top because that's where the light hits them.

Drop all of the blackworms into the Betta's tank. They'll help clean the detritus and occasionally poke their heads out allowing the Betta to snatch them up.

I'm running my betta tank bare bottom. Haha. He is in a cylindrical vase with a single moss ball. I put in about 10 at a time and he eats them as he pleases.

So the zooxanthellae in the corals isn't dying off? Just more dense in the tops of the coral?

Pale and fairly smooth. Some polyps, but not big corallites.

Reds are so difficult! When I got one of my acroporas it was blood red. Faded over time. Maybe RSCC ABCD will help bring it back.

I'm fine with red acros but couldn't keep blue; turned more purpley. Weird how we can test so much but still not understand essential differences between tanks

• Added a bit more green into the Radion program to get it a bit more crisper looking during the "main photoperiod"

• The MP10s are in Reef Crest mode with two notches from the right that aren't illuminated. So, 90% maybe? Also moved them closer to the front panel. I have them positioned in a way that when they are on full blast they suck in some air. Really gives it that crashing wave look.

• I need to move the torch coral down a bit. Its feeding tentacles are reaching out pretty far these days.

• The copper band does not want anything to do with the black worms. I guess its clams every few days from here on out.

I'm fine with red acros but couldn't keep blue; turned more purpley. Weird how we can test so much but still not understand essential differences between tanks

I think we can determine some major differences between two different systems that produce different successes. We, the average reefer, just don't test for a wide range of different elements and parameters. Usually just the basics. So we don't know those subtile differences in our tanks to where I am good with blues and purples, not reds, and you are good with reds, not blues and purples. That's why I plan to do some thorough research on trace elements regarding acropora corals. Extend my reach of knowledge on more of what is happening in my boxed reef.

I also keep a very detailed journal (physically written in a Moleskine) and can see trends over time. It keeps me narrowed on my goals and deters me from messing with success. ;)

Holy cr** tank looks stunning! Love the placement and the coral selection!!

Thanks! I want to do a bit of rearranging before some corals encrust.

sweet!

Thanks very much!

I very much love the way my reef looks after a fresh water change, but oh how much I hate doing it

I did end up switching the green with white on my Radion program. I had previously increased the green to make it look brighter, but have since changed it. The green is back to where it was originally and the white has been brought up a bit to increase brightness to my eye and greater PAR.

The framing for the new stand is almost done! I need to add 2 more supports and 4 cross supports. Then sanding, puttying, staining and then.....painting!

What is the best marine grade white paint? Going with Kilz white :)

I am really tempted to go outside and finish the stand tonight. Then tomorrow I can putty and sand. Hmmmm.....

Get er done! Is it still cold over there like the last two weeks- man that was brutal out there

vhyfxm.jpg

The copperband is eating Reef Frenzy consistently! I really like the product. However, the only negative is it makes my water smell. Going to need to add more carbon I suppose.

Marine snow feedings have been going exceptionally well.

Love getting packages from Marine Depot!

24401222142_c57198bf45_k.jpgUntitled by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

24427146021_03f9d0e4ff_k.jpgUntitled by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

23881325304_3e63ba8560_k.jpgUntitled by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

Just tested potassium, iron and iodine using the Red Sea Coral Color Program. Testing takes a bit longer, but its very similar to the Red Sea essential tests.

K - less than 320ppm

I2 - 0.03ppm

Fe - 0ppm

I used BRS suggestion (since I use their two part) and dosed 1.4ml of each ABCD for my current alkalinity and calcium daily dosage. Hoping that increasing these trace elements will brighten the reef :)

Archived