Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

Hey Mark. Sorry, I'm having a hard time getting your light schedule in my head. Can you screenshot your graph and upload it here?

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Markburns43

I went back on it today when I got home from Work, I accually messed up that's why it doesn't make sense lol, sunrise 830am, just blue 50 percent, by 1130am 45 percent 14k,,,1130am till 330pm 12k 50 percent 330pm to 730pm 16k at 50 percent,,,730pm -830pm sunset, I'm using my girlfriends laptop and we don't get good WiFi in the back bed room so what I was seeing was a lag from what I changed to what it was and I messed up the schedule along the way haha, I'm kinda following your path as well , I've been running 12k trying to get growth and I definetly seemail it in my acans my frog spawn split hammer is branching new branches forming on this I believe to be green tipped birds nest but I think I could get better color and still get decent growth kinda doing the schedule how it's set up, sound plausible? Or still not make sense? If so I can fire up the old mm laptop and take a picture to show you maybe I am still not doing it right, I do press save when I change each set point learned that quick ah hah, thanks for the reply evan

Oh I seeee

Mines like a big frown lol

Markburns43

post-86551-0-68892700-1435097434_thumb.jpg

By the algae it looks like it is, but no its on a 12 he cycle, if I could remember my eco password I could screen shot it,

Markburns43

correct that is a mistake it has been turning on at 830 am with the blues at 35 percent prior to me Changing it these past couple of days

Markburns43

No I'm not concerned to be honest when I saw your graph I was like hey that's a different way of setting up a schedule so you have multiple spots it ramps up to then stays at a set point for a few hrs then ramps up again to your peak stays for a few hrs then starts to ramp back down , as my schedule ramps up to the afternoon peaks then ramps down kind of like he sun, I assume both would work because I hit all the same spectrum just in a different manner, I did make my peak plateau for two or three hrs before rampin down I thought that was a good point to have like your peak

My graph is kind of unusual looking, but if you drew a straight line to each point while missing the points in between each repetitive point, it would slightly resemble a natural solar graph. Slow ramp up, peaks between 11am and 1pm and slowly ramps back down as the earth rotates.

I am trying out this program just to see what 12k does. Previously, and the gold standard for my system, the program has been 7 hours of 14k as the peak at 90%. I'm just trying out the 12k peak to see if it affects growth at all. A good PAR blast in the middle of the program. If I don't notice changes in 3-4 weeks, back to my original program.

When it comes to the Radions, my biggest advice is go slow. Don't make big changes overnight. Think about why you're going to change it before you do. Its very easy to mess with the Radion and change it to any color combination you'd like, immediately.

Still using the same Radion program as above, just adjusted the times a bit. But I brought the overall intensity down to 75% just to prevent shock or bleaching. Just precautionary.

I am still dosing Reef Chili every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Fuel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Everything is still going good. I am thinking about rearranging some corals, but I am not sold on any of the placement ideas yet. I will sleep on it for a few days.

Oh, and I made some small adjustments to my Radion program. I extended the 14k, took the All Blues off in favor of 20k, and lengthened the points to make them more gradual.

19060894408_f2d1dbb636_h.jpgScreen Shot 2015-06-28 at 5.40.21 PM by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

I absolutely love being able to upgrade my lights to the "latest and greatest" without having to get an entirely new fixture. Being able to grab the light clusters and swapping them out is amazing. My Gen 2 (now Gen 3 Pro) might live forever at this rate :):wizard::happydance:

Markburns43

How much did it cost for the two clusters? And do you use the wide angle lenses you have, I'm assuming you do

Markburns43

And of course gotta see a shot of the tank!

Yeah 250 is not bad I bought mine used for 450 on here Gen 2 pro and I think Ithe would be worth upgrading, I do want, for my next build to try Dave's hybrid,

I will bust out the DSLR tomorrow for some shots, if I have some time. I will also photograph the Radion upgrade process.

Markburns43

Oh I got a question while your on, I have the wide angle lenses over a standard 10, I don't think I particularly need them if in remove them what can I except?

If you have the wide angle lenses, I would honestly think that it could be overkill on the 10g, but theoretically you could run the intensity of the Radion lower while also physically lowering the Radion closer to the water line.

You get lower PAR output with the 120 lenses, but better spread, so to compensate your bump up the overall intensity. To get even more energy efficient, you could lower the Radions closers to the waterline as well as lowering the intensity. Approximately equivalently PAR, lower power consumption. Just my thoughts.

Markburns43

It's 10 inches from water line at the end of the hanging kit, I do get a lot of over spill , I might see how it looks with out the wide angles on other than spillage I think that's the only thing I'll get because I can't lower it any more:/

Archived