Coral Vue Hydros

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, my yellow tang returned to being a terrorist. Almost beat my anthias to death as well as my clownfish pair. The fish snapped :S I spent an hour attempting to capture him. The tang will not be returning to my system again.

Sk8n, thanks! I really appreciate that. I just wish I could get at an angle where you couldn't see the lights reflecting, but that may be impossible.

Kimosobey, thanks! That means a lot. I have been kinda down on it lately to be honest. I will answer your question like a politician; not the way you asked it. Hahaha.

My favorite atheistic coral I have right now would probably be my Red Dragon acropora. I love where it is in the tank and really catches the eye everywhere you look in the tank. My favorite coral though is definitely my Red Digitata montipora. My girlfriend picked that coral out about 4 or 5 years ago. It's her coral.

A few updates!

1. The tang started to become a terrorist again. She started beating up on everyone, not just the anthias this time. My clownfish pair too. I concluded that my system is too small for her growing size. She is listed on my local reef forum waiting for a new home. In the meantime she is living in my sump. Sad to see her go too. We really liked her.

2. The color of my corals has been incredible lately. I feel like the color gets better by the day. My Leng Sy montipora capricornus had a pretty faded edge along the back side for the last few months. The purple was pretty faint. The last week or two that purple edge is becoming very vibrant along the entire coral. I think stable water parameters, increased light, and a regular feeding schedule has been the key.

3. I bumped up my light program to 80% intensity. I think that the increased intensity has actually been directly increasing the color. I have it at 12k for 6 hours, 80% intensity at 8 inches above the water line. The rest of the 6 hours during my photoperiod is a combination of Coral Radiance in the evening and all blues in the morning. Using Aquatic Log's Radion Par tool, most of my SPS seem to be receiving at least approximately 300+ PAR.

All in all, I am very happy where my system is right now. :D

Things are going great. Still trying to find a home for my tang though.

I am going to go meet another local reefer this week to get some more acroporas. His stock is seriously better than any other LFS I have ever been to personally. Mostly all blue ones too ;)

I always let my tank swing about 1.7-2 degrees. Never seemed to have an issue. I'd say your swing is fine. I plan on keeping mine in my new tank around 1 degree though just to see if the results are better or not.

I figure that if its only a 2 degree swing over the course of 3 hours the livestock is fine. Based on my Apex graph, my heaters should kick on and heat the water during a couple of hours and slowly fall back to my minimum setting, which is 79F. With that load being separated equally between two heaters, I would think that they should be mechanically fine.

I figure that if its only a 2 degree swing over the course of 3 hours the livestock is fine. Based on my Apex graph, my heaters should kick on and heat the water during a couple of hours and slowly fall back to my minimum setting, which is 79F. With that load being separated equally between two heaters, I would think that they should be mechanically fine.

I think you will be more than fine. Hell even 1 heater would be able to handle that. I plan on using a single 200W Cobalt Neo-therm in mine.

Are you using the Herbie method? That is my overflow style but I never thought about how the return works. Looks like you just put a T on the return and the branched over the standpipes with the locline? Did you have to notch out the overflow or was it like that?

I like redundancy ;) The 150w heater would be sufficient on its own I think. My basement stays a cool 68F all year :)

I am using the Herbie Method. When I started this system I wanted to do a Durso, just because that was what I was use to. I ended up not having the space in the overflow box. I am glad I went with this method instead. It is very quiet.

So I have the Herbie standpipe about 5 to 6 inches (haven't measured, just guessing) below the overflow box water line. That drain line has a ball valve to control the siphon. Next I have my return line. Its a single pipe until it gets to the top of the overflow box, then has T fitting. The T fitting has some other PVC connections, then locline out to the surface of my display tank. Because the return flow nozzles are above the water line, I get two benefits. One being increased oxygen exchange and the second is have a siphon break when the return pump shuts off.

Then I have an emergency, fully open drain that works as a surface skimmer in the overflow box. A small trickle of water goes directly into my refugium.

The notches were already there, which I really appreciate. I really need to cover the top of my overflow box with something. Too much light gets back there and the white PVC is an eye sore. Maybe at the 2 year mark I will do something about that. :happy:

Hey thanks Michelos! I really appreciate that! Are you are asking if I have bags of GFO or carbon in my filter socks? If you are, I don't run either. I have a few reactors lined up for down the road when I have more coral and more fish though :D

Now I have the problem of figuring out where all this coral is going to be permanently. I love this problem, but a quandary none the less. :happydance:

In the last week and a half I have added 6 awesome SPS frags. Grown out in one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen.

Pics to come today when the lights are on high noon

Is everyone ready for some pictures? :happydance:

First, lets start with the new additions.

Red Planet, Blue Tip Stag, Blue Acro Mili

17646194911_0ee2858791_b.jpg

DSC_8795 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

Purple with blue tips acro

17459794139_18a02ac71c_b.jpg

DSC_8797 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

What I am calling SPS Ledge

17023588664_a0a7b0b4ca_b.jpg

DSC_8802 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

A close up of the middle rock

17458519670_a0e762dd3b_b.jpg

DSC_8808 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

And here is a FTS. I love this perspective.

17619784926_194742e4fe_b.jpg

DSC_8790 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

Thanks! I actually did put in some thought on to where I was going to place the new frags. Where I wanted them to be aesthetically and where they would thrive and have a good amount of space to grow. I still have three more frags to place :P

Archived