Coral Vue Hydros

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

A few updates

• I made my own fish food today :) Using all fresh ingredients. The fish believe I am feeding them drugs now. :lol:

• The Radion is at 85% intensity now. 6 hours of 12k, the other 6 hours are all blues in the morning during a slow ramp up for 1.5 hours, Coral Radiance in the evenings for 1.5 hours at 85% intensity.

• I am shooting for some new parameters too, just try something different. My buddy and I were talking about our parameters and I thought I would try mimicking his. His system is an inspiration.
  1. dKH - 8
  2. Ca - 420
  3. Mg - 1350
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that somewhere here recently I stated that I wouldn't mess with my Radion program. I am starting to really see colors fade. No, not bleaching, just fading. I am going to drop down from 12k to 14k, but raise the intensity from 85% to 100% so I don't have a huge drop in PAR. Does anyone see issues with this?

I added 1/4 cup of lignite carbon in a BRS felt bag. Its in my return chamber in my sump.

Also, I am thinking of placing an order on Reef Cleaners to replenish my dwindling stock.

Thanks man! I will get some pictures posted tomorrow. I actually cleaned up the edges of my aquarium today with a razor blade. It was very overdue. I can see more clearly now :)

Any specific shots people want to see?

I think I am going to do a bit of video today. Though, I am terrible at video. I don't have a macro lens in my collection, but I will do my best.

I did manage to do a walk through video of my system and equipment, but it ended up being 25 minutes long. Whoops. I am going to redo that today too and post it for everyone.

Photo Update time :)

So, first up is the new addition to the system.

17791582408_39c019e669_h.jpg

DSC_8840 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

Next up is just some random shots with my wide angle lens

17953017156_95a2c0ad89_h.jpg

DSC_8887 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

17980179201_c61edfb729_h.jpg

DSC_8895 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

17791600298_0a6adda7c3_h.jpg

DSC_8896 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

17953009966_c3b6d5eb8a_h.jpg

DSC_8858 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

17791597078_112ddcf122_h.jpg

DSC_8891 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

And my montipora that you can't see the color of unless the pumps are off and you look down from above the aquarium ;)

17791586038_608a4fc7d1_h.jpg

DSC_8869 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

Oh, and my favorite shot from today

17953006226_57833103ea_h.jpg

DSC_8847 by Evan Cronshaw, on Flickr

Quick update!

The scarlet cleaner has roamed around most of my rock work now (I think) since I added her to the system. I think she has possibly found a good spot to call home.

The Dropcam is amazing! I feel totally ok about leaving for a week and having a friend that isn't a reefer come check in half way through my absence.

I am either wishfully thinking (or crazy) but the 1/4 cup of lignite carbon I added has made my water so much clearer.

I much prefer the 14K spectrum over the 12K, at least I do this minute ;) I am hoping to get some color back. I am tired of trying to grow these smaller frags faster and sacrifice color. They aren't growing to my (unrealistic) expectation. So, instead of being slightly disappointed, I would rather see some better color and not primarily focus on growth.

• 2 weeks later...

So a few updates

I just came back from home from vacation for 10 days. It is absolutely amazing to see the change things undergo in just a short amount of time. We see it everyday so its hard to really appreciate those changes. My corals are coloring up nicely. I love the 14k. It will be tough to get some good true shots (friggin white balance) but I am going to try to get it as close as I can.

My chaeto didn't seem to grow at all while I was away, which is odd.

My mangrove in my refugium has put down even more roots!

The mangrove in the pot outside (really hot weather set in while I was away) and it sprouted, if that is the right term, new leaves. Very excited. I was half expecting to come back to see a stick in a pot.

Sk8n Reefer

I hear ya on the changes you notice - even a few days so much going on. Tanks looking good- I like your angles on the side shots

Right? Its really shocking to see how much changes in just a short amount of time. Thanks for the kind words Sk8n!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am back from a few trips. The system is stable and chugging along. I felt at ease knowing that I could check in on it anywhere at anytime with the Dropcam. Such a good investment.

A few updates

• I turned the Radion to 16k for awhile. I want to see if I can get a bit more color out of my SPS. By reducing the spectrum I lost some PAR, so I lowered the Radion fixture from 10 inches above the water line to 8 inches. Using an online tool, the PAR is comparable. So I am happy.
  • SPS is doing great. Great PE and the colors are improving. However, the hammer isn't "blooming" as big as it has been. If I were to make a guess as to what the cause is, I am going to say it is from a lack of feeding. I didn't had the tank sitters broadcast feed with Reef Chili because I knew they would over feed pellets ;)
  • The refugium light is on 14 hours a day now. Trying to see if the mangrove will put out some more leaves faster.
  • The skimmer is a beast. Evan, when you go back and read this post in a few weeks, keep the skimmer dialed in at 3.5.

Ok, new update after some thought on the matter

• The Radion is still at 8 inches above the water line, but I am still trying to find that perfect (unachievable) balance of growth and color. I am using a combination of 12k, 14k, 20k and all blues. Mornings is a a slow ramp up to 14k. For an hour and a half peak I have a 12k peak. Back down to 14k. And its finished with 2 hours of 20k.
  • My nitrates are undetectable, and Evan doesn't like that. I need some dirty in there. Side note (bragging) I haven't done a water change in months. :rolleyes:
  • Feeding Reef Chili every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night. Just one cap to start.
  • Tuesday and Thursdays is 10ml of Aquavitro Fuel.
  • Saturdays and Sundays is for enjoying the tank and beer drinking. :happydance:

Still shooting for these parameters too

1. dKH - 8 / 8.4
  2. Ca - 420
  3. Mg - 1350
Markburns43

I really like how you document, I have a question, I have a Gen 2 pro xr30, I have my lights turn on at 830 ramp up for a couple hours then it goes from 1130 to 730 the ramps down, I changed a couple points goes 20k to start to 14k then through to 330 12k then from there back to 14k but if I check in between my points it doesn't change from. My original 12k I was running from 1130 to 730 just at those points it changed does that not matter as long as from point to point it changes?

Archived