inTank Media Baskets

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

Love the tank....lot to learn from ya. What kind of snails are you keeping, nassarius? Want to see the ric

up close.....

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the tank....lot to learn from ya. What kind of snails are you keeping, nassarius? Want to see the ric

up close.....

Wow thanks :) I've got 1 nassarius, 1 margarita, 1 nerite, and 1 nerite snail. I'm going to be getting some more though soon since my diatoms are taking over my tank. If you go to page 5 of my thread you can see a pic of each snail.

Looking good Cswan :)

Im going to have to get some xenia soon!

Thanks nanoclown. I really like the pulsing xenia, I have to turn my pumps off to really seem them pulse well though. Its fascinating how they move.

By the way, other people shared theirs so I'll share mine as well, my name is Christie :) so now you can put a real name to my tank. haha

Wow thanks :) I've got 1 nassarius, 1 margarita, 1 nerite, and 1 nerite snail. I'm going to be getting some more though soon since my diatoms are taking over my tank. If you go to page 5 of my thread you can see a pic of each snail.

Thanks nanoclown. I really like the pulsing xenia, I have to turn my pumps off to really seem them pulse well though. Its fascinating how they move.

By the way, other people shared theirs so I'll share mine as well, my name is Christie :) so now you can put a real name to my tank. haha

i see alot of people put xenia on the backwall so they dont take over a rock. a backwall of pulsing xenia is sooo cool.

and hi Christie =P

i see alot of people put xenia on the backwall so they dont take over a rock. a backwall of pulsing xenia is sooo cool.

and hi Christie =P

Really that sounds pretty interesting. How do they get the xenia to climb the wall? It just does?

glue your xenia to the backwall and it will spread everywhere

Hmm.. I may get some GSP and glue that on the back wall or on the black false wall. I kind of like my pulsing xenia up front, I find it super fascinating.

I should do that.........hahaha

you should. It would look sweet !

Does anyone know of a way to control a cooling fan on the cheap? I need something similar to a controller. I need it to just kick the fan on when it gets warm and off when it gets cool. I don't want to spend too much on it. like under $30 would be ideal. Also anyone have experience or reviews on the zoo med aqua cool fan. It hangs over the side. I'm looking for something low profile. I need something more permanent than my manually turned on and off blue 6in walmart fan. haha any tips?

Does anyone know of a way to control a cooling fan on the cheap? I need something similar to a controller. I need it to just kick the fan on when it gets warm and off when it gets cool. I don't want to spend too much on it. like under $30 would be ideal. Also anyone have experience or reviews on the zoo med aqua cool fan. It hangs over the side. I'm looking for something low profile. I need something more permanent than my manually turned on and off blue 6in walmart fan. haha any tips?

I'm afraid to use a fan directly blowing on my tank for this reason. I really can't think of any way of controlling a "cooling" system such as a fan using a controllers. Controllers are also super expensive I think! :(

I'm hoping to get my portable AC setup in the coming week to stabilize my house temperature.

Keeping warm is easy with a thermostat heater. Keeping cool is the problem. I'm aiming to keep the house cool - keep the tank warm.

Hmm yeah. I think my only option will be to buy a controller. Its a bummer cause I can get away with just using a simple power strip to work everything else in my tank. So essentially I'll be paying over a $100 just to run a cooling fan. Its too hard and expensive to keep a house real cool in Florida during the summer.

Also any tips to keep my ricordea secure? The flow in my tank is moving it all around. Its in a different spot every time I look in the tank. Its not attached to a frag plug or rock or anything so I don't think I can super glue it. Any tips?

Hmm yeah. I think my only option will be to buy a controller. Its a bummer cause I can get away with just using a simple power strip to work everything else in my tank. So essentially I'll be paying over a $100 just to run a cooling fan. Its too hard and expensive to keep a house real cool in Florida during the summer.

Also any tips to keep my ricordea secure? The flow in my tank is moving it all around. Its in a different spot every time I look in the tank. Its not attached to a frag plug or rock or anything so I don't think I can super glue it. Any tips?

I'm not sure! Mine are all on plugs. I think people just glue them down to plugs.. you could glue it to a rock. The mouth is on the top so I don't think it would cause any harm.. I could be wrong though. Pretty sure Ninja has some of this ric's glued down!

I'm going to be working on my Ric garden more because I had them in the sand before and my shrimp had a party with them and moved them all over. Luckily they survived haha..

get a small tupperware container and put some LR rubble at the bottom, place your ric inside of it and it will eventually attach its foot to the rocks on its own. The walls of the container should block off some flow to your ricordia so that its not bothered.

mine always came attached to some rubles. it's hard to glue rics cuz they get all slimey. as for your controller, can you keep the fan on a time so it's only on during the day when it's hot?

I'm not sure! Mine are all on plugs. I think people just glue them down to plugs.. you could glue it to a rock. The mouth is on the top so I don't think it would cause any harm.. I could be wrong though. Pretty sure Ninja has some of this ric's glued down!

I'm going to be working on my Ric garden more because I had them in the sand before and my shrimp had a party with them and moved them all over. Luckily they survived haha..

Yeah, I guess I will just get them up on my rock instead of the sand bed. I'll have to glue them the flow is just too high.

get a small tupperware container and put some LR rubble at the bottom, place your ric inside of it and it will eventually attach its foot to the rocks on its own. The walls of the container should block off some flow to your ricordia so that its not bothered.

Thats a good idea. Where do I get LR rubble. Does it come in like or pack or do you think I could just ask my LFS for some. Also is putting LR in my tank going to cycle it? Also how long does it usually take them to attach?

mine always came attached to some rubles. it's hard to glue rics cuz they get all slimey. as for your controller, can you keep the fan on a time so it's only on during the day when it's hot?

Yeah, my LFS had them in a pretty low flow tank and they were just all on the sand bed. I was reading about them getting all slimy, and I could feel how slimy they are when I had to reach in and move it cause it tumbled with the flow across the tank. I could do a timer but it would be tricky cause if my fan is on for a half hour it starts getting too cold. If its off for an hour or so it starts getting too warm. So it would be tricky to time it. I guess I could give it a try.

Minimal amounts of fresh LR wont cause a cycle. If anything just go to your LFS and buy less than a pound if they let you, if not get a pound of rock. Smash it up with a hammer/chisel to get smaller pieces, save whatever is leftover for future frags :)

Minimal amounts of fresh LR wont cause a cycle. If anything just go to your LFS and buy less than a pound if they let you, if not get a pound of rock. Smash it up with a hammer/chisel to get smaller pieces, save whatever is leftover for future frags :)

Awesome, thanks nanoclown. I moved my ric up closer to the rock but still on the sand bed this morning and he hasn't moved a bit so I might just leave him there and see how he does. Also my nerite snail tried to escape. Went in to check on my tank and the dude was on my light :o Had to rub his slimy grossness to get him to retract into his shell and get him back in my tank. I think his new name will be prisonbreak. lol

Update: June 1, 2014

14325216405_6a35c300ee_z.jpg

Parameters:

pH: 8.2 (this is higher than it should be. Not sure why. How do I get this down a bit?)

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

Salinity: 1.026

Temp: 79.1' F

Not much more to update except that diatoms are still getting worse... Not sure why. Also my ric is open but not as big and spread out as it usually is. Could it be because of the pH level being a bit too high?

Someone told me once to not chase after the perfect pH. As long as it's stable, you are fine. How are you measuring Salinity now? I usually keep mine at 1.025 in case my refractometer is not 100% accurate. How long has your ric been closed up a little? They do that from time to time.

My Yuma will actually close up in to a ball sometimes at night. (Almost the same way the Zoa's do!)

I did some research on it because I was a bit worried and found this thread.

Check that out. Mine looks IDENTICAL to the one in the picture some nights!!

My massive ricordia florida on the other hand doesn't close up .. I presume because it's so big haha it can't do that.

Normal behavior! :)

Also - your params looks great!! We're nearly identical in that aspect but I may have higher nitrates!

Someone told me once to not chase after the perfect pH. As long as it's stable, you are fine. How are you measuring Salinity now? I usually keep mine at 1.025 in case my refractometer is not 100% accurate. How long has your ric been closed up a little? They do that from time to time.

I am measuring my salinity with a refractometer. I did a top off after measuring the salinity, and haven't measured it since the top off it is most likely around 1.025 by now. My ric has been closed up a bit for maybe and hour or so. My pulsing xenia is pretty closed too but I'm presuming it is because the lights are on the moon setting and will be shutting off soon?

My Yuma will actually close up in to a ball sometimes at night. (Almost the same way the Zoa's do!)

I did some research on it because I was a bit worried and found this thread.

Check that out. Mine looks IDENTICAL to the one in the picture some nights!!

My massive ricordia florida on the other hand doesn't close up .. I presume because it's so big haha it can't do that.

Normal behavior! :)

Also - your params looks great!! We're nearly identical in that aspect but I may have higher nitrates!

Okay, thats good to hear that it could just be because of it being night. I will keep checking on it. thanks for the link I'll read through it. Also thanks :) I think my nitrates will go up when I finally get some fish. haha

Update on Ricordea Florida.

This thing is looking happy and beautiful today. It is definitely just the lights that made is close a bit. It is opened up the biggest I have seen so far. Really happy with it, it is so beautiful. Corals are cool to look at in pictures but once you have one in front of you it is so much better. They just have a raw natural beauty that makes you just want to stare at it forever haha.

Also my params are still looking good but I'm still battling diatoms big time. I know they will go away with time but is there a way to tell when they will finally go away, it makes my tank look awful.

is your tank in direct sunlight? what's your lighting schedule?

No it is not in direct sunlight, I have all the windows and blinds closed in the room that it is in. My lights are set to go on at 10am and go off at 7pm then the actinics stay on for 6 hours until 1am. Am I keeping my lights on too long?

That shouldnt be the problem, I run my cycle from 10am to 10 pm then have my blues on till about 2 am lol. I find it soothing to sleep with them on.

I'd just wait them out, diatoms will go away as long as you are maintaining good water quality.

Archived