Top Shelf Aquatics

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dare I say, is that aiptasia at the base of your rock in the first pic below the cool API test photo? Looks like some wavy fingers sticking out there, could just be the angle of the shot.

Dare I say, is that aiptasia at the base of your rock in the first pic below the cool API test photo? Looks like some wavy fingers sticking out there, could just be the angle of the shot.

No, I saw that in the pic and thought the same thing, went back to check it out in the tank... just algae. I guess its just the angle of the picture. Thank goodness, I haven't seen any aiptasia yet, knock on wood haha. Thanks for looking out though man.

I have an update!! :)

Not the update that was intended for today though... not quite as exciting as the one planned but still an update nevertheless. Hopefully I will have the more exciting update tomor. My LFS had to fix some tanks today and didn't get a chance to go pick up my stuff. Anyway....

What's this? ;)

14106971839_84d1512fa7_z.jpg

Its the Current USA Orbit Marine Lighting system! :happy: It wasn't supposed to be here until Saturday but UPS delivered early. It was a nice surprise when I got home.

14293125104_3e97b646bc_z.jpg

Its more blue in the picture than it is in person.

I love how thin and sleek it is. Theres about an inch, maybe more underneath it. I'm hoping that this will allow some of the heat to escape and my tank won't get as hot. We will see though, I have a good feeling I'll need to invest in a decent cooling fan.

14290320441_05d0c25ea6_z.jpg

FTS with actinic turned down really low so you could see the tank better on camera.

14290319191_7599aff831_z.jpg

FTS With actinic at 100% and white at 75%

14106971169_41ba0d743e_z.jpg

I also have my nanomag on top of my tank while I'm not using it so it doesn't rust inside. Is it safe to keep it this close to my light, since it is a magnet? How do you guys store your magnets when not in the tank?

14107013198_50aa3cfed7_z.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with the light. Its super nice, super sleek and great for the price. I got mine at 35% off too. So I got quite the steal ;)

If anyone is looking for a nice light for LPS and softies that has a built in timer and lots of features. I highly recommend the Current USA Orbit.

Also hopefully I will have a couple of awesome updates coming to you guys by tomorrow and this weekend. :D

Sexy! B) (gotta put my shades on for this) You shouldnt have to worry about heat from it. It runs only a little warm to the touch and from what I can tell the LEDs barely disperse any heat off into the water

Sexy! B) (gotta put my shades on for this) You shouldnt have to worry about heat from it. It runs only a little warm to the touch and from what I can tell the LEDs barely disperse any heat off into the water

Sexy indeed! Thanks nano clown. So far I am in love with them. It is a great light

The air was left off last night and in Florida that can warm the house up quite a bit... and it did. The house was really hot this morning and so was my tank. My tank was up to almost 82! So I've not got a small 6 in fan on top cooling it down. It seems to be working just fine, the temp has already dropped a few degrees and is at 78. I am going to let it drop a bit more though before taking the fan off.

14275782886_35f9e07421_z.jpg

Sexy indeed! Thanks nano clown. So far I am in love with them. It is a great light

The air was left off last night and in Florida that can warm the house up quite a bit... and it did. The house was really hot this morning and so was my tank. My tank was up to almost 82! So I've not got a small 6 in fan on top cooling it down. It seems to be working just fine, the temp has already dropped a few degrees and is at 78. I am going to let it drop a bit more though before taking the fan off.

14275782886_35f9e07421_z.jpg

I'm going to have to start doing this. My tank is staying at a steady 82 for past 5 days. I have a small fan in the garage I'll have to grab and set it near it.

I don't know if it is in your budget or not, but maybe you should invest in a RKL or another entry level controller. They can be programmed so that you can have your fan turn on/off at certain temps.

I havent owned one myself, but depending on how hot it gets in my area this summer I might buy one myself. I dont want to worry about my tank overheating during the day while im not at home.

My LFS was supposed to call me today when they had my stuff.. still no call and they are now closed. I really hope my stuff will be ready for me to come get tomorrow, I'm getting a bit impatient and really want to share the update with you guys!! Hopefully tomor will be the day.

I don't know if it is in your budget or not, but maybe you should invest in a RKL or another entry level controller. They can be programmed so that you can have your fan turn on/off at certain temps.

I havent owned one myself, but depending on how hot it gets in my area this summer I might buy one myself. I dont want to worry about my tank overheating during the day while im not at home.

Yeah, I have been looking into them, but really it is just not in my budget right now. Maybe soon though as I will be picking up some more hours. Thanks :happy: Also, give us some updates on your spec v! :lol:

Very very good all the updates! I'm stoked for you!! Awesome!

Yes - that's snail poop!

Yes - diatoms! Snails will eat that eventually I believe.. mine did I think. I had it for a bit, never came back.

My snail poop too.. I used to have tons if you look through the initial pages of my thread. Haven't had any ever again. Dunno how/why.....

Light looks awesome!!!

Also - I have to steal your idea on hanging the magnet from the top. Brilliant! I'm going to do that now!

Very very good all the updates! I'm stoked for you!! Awesome!

Yes - that's snail poop!

Yes - diatoms! Snails will eat that eventually I believe.. mine did I think. I had it for a bit, never came back.

My snail poop too.. I used to have tons if you look through the initial pages of my thread. Haven't had any ever again. Dunno how/why.....

Light looks awesome!!!

Also - I have to steal your idea on hanging the magnet from the top. Brilliant! I'm going to do that now!

Thanks kijho. I would imagine your pistol shrimp ate the snail poop and thats why it disappeared.

Also it works perfect with it on the top. You don't even have to open the lid to get the magnet back on the glass in the tank. The magnet is strong enough that you can pick the top part of the magnet up off of the tank and keep it close enough to slide the inside part down onto the glass. Simple solution to prevent rust.

I'm going to have to start doing this. My tank is staying at a steady 82 for past 5 days. I have a small fan in the garage I'll have to grab and set it near it.

Yeah, it is an easy cheap solution. My tank was above 80 and is now at 74. Perfect :happy:

Also, give us some updates on your spec v! :lol:

Tbh with you, there really hasn't been anything to update. I've been busy with a lot of things recently (job applications and interviews!) so I haven't been buying anything new for my tank. :P

Tbh with you, there really hasn't been anything to update. I've been busy with a lot of things recently (job applications and interviews!) so I haven't been buying anything new for my tank. :P

Fair enough :) interviews are a good sign though! Good luck man, hope you land the job(s) :)

Okay so, I am not sure why LFS still hasn't called me. I am about to go down to the LFS and hopefully pick some stuff up, including the stuff I have been waiting on. Hopefully I'll have an update today!! Ahh I'm tired of waiting around haha. :rolleyes:

Okay so, I am not sure why LFS still hasn't called me. I am about to go down to the LFS and hopefully pick some stuff up, including the stuff I have been waiting on. Hopefully I'll have an update today!! Ahh I'm tired of waiting around haha. :rolleyes:

Really hope you get the good Swan!! I can't wait to see!

Okay so, I may or may not have just spent way to much at my LFS...

Really hope you get the good Swan!! I can't wait to see!

Oh I got the good.. and then some. I'm fully broke now. But I believe it was worth it. The stuff my LFS got me ended up being a bit more than intended. Oh well haha :)

I'm acclimating some stuff right now. Updates later on once everything is settled in.

Okay so, I may or may not have just spent way to much at my LFS...

Oh I got the good.. and then some. I'm fully broke now. But I believe it was worth it. The stuff my LFS got me ended up being a bit more than intended. Oh well haha :)

I'm acclimating some stuff right now. Updates later on once everything is settled in.

http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/mrskaaay/media/pinguclaps_zpsaabe2a55.gif.html'>pinguclaps_zpsaabe2a55.gif

so..... bad news... <_<

I am an idiot. Sorry to be a tease but the fish my LFS got me were the wrong ones. I saw one in the store and it was the right one, I only saw a glimpse of the other and the one they got looks very similar to the one I wanted. Also their bags they give you the fish in have graphics on them so its hard to see in the bag. Bottom line is I should have checked them out more before I paid for them and got them home. Kicking myself in the ass now.

Anyway, I brought them back to the LFS and now I have to wait another week (hopefully less) for them to go back up and pick me out the right fish.

Your still getting an update after I finish acclimating the less exciting stuff. But it will be some more time before I can give you my big update that I have been waiting for. Ugh, I don't wanna wait anymore! :furious: Although, I would rather wait and get what I want rather than settle I guess.

AHHH still annoyed though <_< haha.

small update soon..

give us clues to what fish you got. i would think being in Florida gives u access to many LFS....maybe it's time to find a better one =P.

I really just want to spill the beans but I can't! haha Lets see.. clues... hmm. How about this clue, its a pair of some sort. Pretty sure that narrowed it down a lot haha. ;)

And yes, I love this LFS but the guy I was dealing with didn't write it down and just thought he would remember it. In the back of my mind I thought this would happen haha oh well can't do anything but wait now. I might check out another LFS called Eco Reef Corals which is supposed to be a really great place. They are a bit farther away though. There a lot of LFS a bit South of me. But I live in a small little beach town with not a whole lot around. The pop. is like maybe 2,000 so pretty small.

I would love to live in a small beach town...

A pair of picasso clowns? a pair of neon gobies? a pair of yellow tangs =P

Yeah I'm one lucky SOB to live where I do and I'm super grateful for it.

Its the tangs :lol: they wouldn't be too big for my tank at all haha

Here is my little update:

I picked up my first corals! :D

First is a double stalk of pulsing xenia. I was offered it for only $5! I wasn't going to get xenia just yet but I couldn't pass the price. I love their movements.

14121916578_8759fa7f78_z.jpg

14307987934_a3833d2abf_z.jpg

Next is my favorite. :happy: I've had my eye on this piece since before I got my CUC, luckily no one bought the one I wanted and I brought it home today.

Its a the first addition to my Ricordea garden!

Also try to ignore those ugly diatoms, I'm still battling them. They have bloomed significantly more since adding my new light.

14285431236_0c2c811939_z.jpg

Tried to get a close up shot so you could see that this baby actually has two mouths! Pretty sweet. Sorry for the grainy quality I only use an iPhone to shoot pics, I don't have a camera. Although I picked up a set of macro lens filters for a regular camera for super cheap that I just put in front of the iPhone camera to get close up shots.

14121916108_f5509a0bc4_z.jpg

I'm happy with my new additions. :)

FTS 5/30/14

14307987024_913900ec04_z.jpg

Also I really wish I could get a good shot of the ric with my actinics on and my white lights off. This things glows under the actinic lights. And when I mean glows this thing GLOWS. Its incredible!

I love it!!! so awesome. I love the xenia and the ric!!

I haven't had ANY diatoms in my sand since adding ... ALOT of snails lol. Everyone said keep only 2 or 3 and now I have 7 I haven't had any problems since. Keeps glass pretty clean too!!

But again that looks AWESOME!!

I forget who suggested I keep my Ric's on the sandbed but I was doin that all until this morning. I've relocated them big time now. On the rock :(

The pistol dug them up 2 days in a row and I don't want him doing that anymore sadly. Not sure what I'll do. I want a Ric garden but I don't know if I want it on a rock..

Yeah, I'll be getting more snails soon, I need their help haha

Also the main reason the ric is on the sand is cause as of now I don't have any coral glue. So I may move it on the rock, cause I would really like to get the rock all covered at some point. We will see. I love it though :)

Archived