Cultivated Reef

Ricordea Yuma Behaviours

Kweli

I have a Yuma that I have been having trouble 'reading'

A day after introducing it i turned on the MH lights for the first time and all of the ends pulled towards the sun.... So i moved it into the shade more. It was opened up fairly well when i got home.

As soon as the lights go out it cupped VERY high (almost closed up)

Eventually it started to relax and go back to a half-open state.

This morning (before lights went on again) the edges were curled up kinda like a thick crust pizza.

How do I know if he wants more or less light? He is in a low flow area

I have a Ricordea Florda beside it doing very well (in diriect light too)

im not sure if i can answer your question but i can key you into my yuma placement. i have a yuma rock in the corner of my tank, pretty indirect light (on the edge of the spread) and its directly under my mp10 so it gets pretty decent flow from the mp10 drawing water in. hope it helps

i do also have my florida in low flow but direct light and its doing fine so maybe give the yuma some more flow

bluefunelement
How do I know if he wants more or less light? He is in a low flow area

I have a Ricordea Florda beside it doing very well (in diriect light too)

All normal behavior -after lights go out many mushrooms will close up like a purse then open back up over night-

As for light - I find that Rics seem to only look different if they are in way too little light - faded color-translucent etc

Yumas in my experience come in two varieties - Sun worshipers or mellow Yuma's - the former only fully coloring up in direct MH light and the latter needing indirect to get to full size and multi-tone coloration.

My huge greens want full on light while my smaller orange and the purple want indirect bright light.

My experiences might have been unique...

Here is a picture of it within 5 minutes of the HQI lights going out

Mushroom_closed.jpg

All normal behavior -after lights go out many mushrooms will close up like a purse then open back up over night-

As for light - I find that Rics seem to only look different if they are in way too little light - faded color-translucent etc

Yumas in my experience come in two varieties - Sun worshipers or mellow Yuma's - the former only fully coloring up in direct MH light and the latter needing indirect to get to full size and multi-tone coloration.

My huge greens want full on light while my smaller orange and the purple want indirect bright light.

My experiences might have been unique...

What do you suggest as testing which it likes more? 1 week in low light, then 1 week in higher light and see if there is any fade?

Will it stay collapsed if the light is to bright for it?

Its a green one but the ends (as shown in picture above) are brownish

Here is a picture of it within 5 minutes of the HQI lights going out

Mushroom_closed.jpg

What do you suggest as testing which it likes more? 1 week in low light, then 1 week in higher light and see if there is any fade?

Will it stay collapsed if the light is to bright for it?

Its a green one but the ends (as shown in picture above) are brownish

If it needed less light, it would have melted.

:(

Like mine. :(

thats interesting ive never seen a yuma close up like that. at night mine just get small like 1/4 of thier size, then when the lights come on they spread out

Mine close up like that sometimes. Other times, they just shrink when the lights go out.

+1

I dont have any yumas but I have two florda rics that are about 18 inches under a 70 watt MH (10 inches being water). They seem to love the light, but will close up or shrink after lights out. Sometimes theyll go between shrinking and closing up depending on what time I look.

I have a nice pink Yuma, that was under PC lights in my BC29 before I shut the tank down. It would shrink down at night like most all other srooms. I since moved it from the BC29 into my 135. It will still shrink down at night. Now it is directly under a 175w MH bulb. It is now about 3" and a added bonus it spawned 3 babys. Gist of my story is mine done much better under direct lighting. In fact one of the babies is shaded by the other 2 babies. The 2 that are getting direct light have triple in size where the 1 shade has hardly grown.

Here is a picture when it was in my BC29. Was about the size of a silver dollar in this picture.

yuma.JPG

Archived