inTank Media Baskets

Nanofreaks Tiny Terror Algae returns!

Nanofreak79

Damn man... That's shit.. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Why not switch them to a different tank ?!

I'll be taking down the 6 gallon and the sump. I have an ac20 and Pico aquariums surface skimmer. I'll use the the new slimline cobalt heaters as well as a single photic 54 par bulb. I'll be making this tank either a bow front from mr Aqua or a do!aqua. I'll turn this thing around and not give up. Who knows, this might be better, less things to clean and deal with.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you'll have a whole mother set up just incase you ever wanna throw something together real quick. Figure out what you're going to do with the maxi's yet ?

At least you'll have a whole mother set up just incase you ever wanna throw something together real quick. Figure out what you're going to do with the maxi's yet ?

Yeah, I took them off sale. I'm going to take down the tank there in that full of algae, Dino's, whatever. It'll be a nice simple tank, and more of a square or bow front. So it'll be five sexies, 12 maxis and a harlequin shrimp. I'll keep this same thread for it too.

Many of these types of organisms are very resilient and just need a small amount of whatever elements they use. It's sometimes difficult to limit the environmental nutrients/elements to such an extent that it stops the bloom without seriously effecting the ofter tank inhabitants.

Best of luck with the new simple setup.

Glad to hear you're keeping them all. I can say when I removed my rocks that had nems on them from the dino tank to the 34, the dino didn't follow along so mine was all in the sand apparently.

Glad to hear that man,maybe just take the tank down,toss the rock,clean the tank and everything else with vinegar let everything air try got a week or two and get some more rubble rock and just start over ?! I'm sure you've already thought of that though.

Get the tanks figured out before the frag swap! T minus 20 days.....

Make it happen

Im not too much liked on Tcmas. My last infraction got me booted for a month. I never go there, except today when tamberav posted a link to a light I'm assuming, and it wouldn't let me look at it. the usual Tcmas IMO. Im assuming you have to pay for something now, or go to a meeting....which i hate. lol

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I am piecing things together, looking through the 5 giant rubber maids full of fish stuff. LMAO! I hate BB, but I'm giving it good thought. maybe just a small 1/4" or less layer of actual small container of live sand from my LFS, not the bagged stuff.

You have an invader that can be beaten with oversized/borrowed UV

Not uv matched to the gallonage of your tank

But something so oversized it will look ugly for a month as you zap

I hear Amazon has a return policy for items that don't work, and if it does you might keep the uv for a rainy day nobody says they have to run 24x7

The specific indicators for UV are a water borne distribution phase after having been thoroughly cleaned, and an invader that doesn't use a holdfast system as sessile anchors. Oversized UV isn't indicated in many problem algae tanks, it won't clear valonia or taxifolia invasions for example.

But yours, yep.

The key is intercepting the distro phase, uv won't clean it off the rock. While running Uv for days, thoroughly clean siphon out the crud and maybe even repeat that as the uv intercept gains the upper hand, it will

You have an invader that can be beaten with oversized/borrowed UV

Not uv matched to the gallonage of your tank

But something so oversized it will look ugly for a month as you zap

I hear Amazon has a return policy for items that don't work, and if it does you might keep the uv for a rainy day nobody says they have to run 24x7

The specific indicators for UV are a water borne distribution phase after having been thoroughly cleaned, and an invader that doesn't use a holdfast system as sessile anchors. Oversized UV isn't indicated in many problem algae tanks, it won't clear valonia for example.

But yours, yep.

Never even crossed my mind. What size would you recommend? I do most of my shopping in Amazon. Lol

I think our record holder gent who quit kid gloving dinos in the giant peroxide thread in the disease forum here at no.com is pork chop express

Fifty watts on a nano reef, it would run a small outdoor pond :)

Many large tanks use nine watts heh

He quit playing around, that counts as oversized in my book!

You can't go too big, but you could waste time and go too small, for me it's hammer time. I've specifically done the act by hooking up my grandmothers four bulb array pond UV, 5,000 gal koi pond, to a 75 gallon tank once. Cyano, which fits the same indication characters as your invader, had to go. One tank cleaning in the presence of that much uv was all it took.

What you burn out of the water doesn't matter. We pico reefers commonly do 100% water changes and that's even more harmful to plankton. We just feed to replace

Im not too much liked on Tcmas. My last infraction got me booted for a month. I never go there, except today when tamberav posted a link to a light I'm assuming, and it wouldn't let me look at it. the usual Tcmas IMO. Im assuming you have to pay for something now, or go to a meeting....which i hate. lol

Damn- a month?!

You do have to pay if you don't want to attend meetings. It $30 I believe. The was I see it, you can make that up in savings from cheaper frags or equip.

I don't usually buy much at the swaps but enjoy looking around. Its cool to see all that stuff in one spot.

If you haven't you need to hit up New Wave. Man that place is sick. Mostly SPS but they run some great specials and you can sneak out with some high end pieces for cheap.

I think our record holder gent who quit kid gloving dinos in the giant peroxide thread in the disease forum here at no.com is pork chop express

Fifty watts on a nano reef, it would run a small outdoor pond :)

Many large tanks use nine watts heh

He quit playing around, that counts as oversized in my book!

You can't go too big, but you could waste time and go too small, for me it's hammer time. I've specifically done the act by hooking up my grandmothers four bulb array pond UV, 5,000 gal koi pond, to a 75 gallon tank once. Cyano, which fits the same indication characters as your invader, had to go. One tank cleaning in the presence of that much uv was all it took.

What you burn out of the water doesn't matter. We pico reefers commonly do 100% water changes and that's even more harmful to plankton. We just feed to replace

Thank you, sir! I'll look on Amazon now. I was thinking of adding one to my larger tank anyway. Thanks for the knowledge, it's always nice to have this kind of help.

Damn- a month?!

You do have to pay if you don't want to attend meetings. It $30 I believe. The was I see it, you can make that up in savings from cheaper frags or equip.

I don't usually buy much at the swaps but enjoy looking around. Its cool to see all that stuff in one spot.

If you haven't you need to hit up New Wave. Man that place is sick. Mostly SPS but they run some great specials and you can sneak out with some high end pieces for cheap.

I might show up at the swap, not sure. I hate having to pay for membership. Mine ran out here but I paid a six month here, but it's nice to not be pressured. The other issue I have is the same people answer all the questions, making it tough to get your opinion to matter or even make it worth wild to answer anything....sounds dumb, maybe, but it bothers me.

Yes, a month and that's the second time, not including other infractions as well. One more and I'm booted for good. I can pretty much speak my mind here, which I like and think is a good thing. Thanks for your help!!!

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been busy lately and neglecting my tanks. Most everything is doing good besides this damn terror tank! I've now purchased some new dry rock from BRS and will be going bare boots with some GSP on the bottom. This should hopefully keep the teturn of algae to zero and the tank itself is smaller both in gallons and length. I'll be using a cadlights 4 gallon with the aio chamber removed, making this roughly a 12x12 cube. I've been putting off the move. Hopefully I can get it done before I get my kids. I'm going to be adding all life and remaining sexy shrimp, harlequin died and disappeared on me. I'll use the seachem stability throughout the first two weeks until the rock has enough bacteria in it. I'll then do am50%'WC after three weeks, while adding more seachem stability.

22837392066_9939c539c2.jpgCadlight minus AIO insert! by -Nanofreak79-I'm

Ben used an oversized UV sterilizer to nuke the Dino's. Research by some folks suggest Dino's are in every tank, it takes the right kind of environment for them to thrive. What the right environment is, is a guess.

Hydrogen peroxide and fresh water both kill Dino's. Benny, Rehype, and some others have real experience with this in case you want to PM them for help.

Ben used an oversized UV sterilizer to nuke the Dino's. Research by some folks suggest Dino's are in every tank, it takes the right kind of environment for them to thrive. What the right environment is, is a guess.

Hydrogen peroxide and fresh water both kill Dino's. Benny, Rehype, and some others have real experience with this in case you want to PM them for help.

Thanks, Kat! I would have the perfect environment, LOL. I'm moving all my tanks into one room anyway. I had this cad tank just sitting around. I was going to do BB. GSP for the bottom, call it grass or whatever. The

That's a really cool tank.not going to put anymore rock in it?

Not right now. Need a way to make more flow. I tried my korallia 425. Bad move. Got Sandy.

I need to make a media rack for it. The filters are packaged dumb, don't last long, and expensive.

I want a pygmy angel and pygmy whitespot filefish for it. (The filefish would go into the 36 bow when it grows up).

I think after I get flow sorted a nice piece of lr will be in its future. Maybe make the rightmost gorg a centerpiece or slip it back into the corner. Need to frag that beast soon anyways.

Plus, if you'd see my tank everyday looking like shit, even after cleaning and taking care of the tank, you'd be ready for a change. I'll keep the same thread of course. Now that I'm thinking I'll use a piece of live rock to seed the tank and speed things up, of course from my 68.

Not right now. Need a way to make more flow. I tried my korallia 425. Bad move. Got Sandy.

I need to make a media rack for it. The filters are packaged dumb, don't last long, and expensive.

I want a pygmy angel and pygmy whitespot filefish for it. (The filefish would go into the 36 bow when it grows up).

I think after I get flow sorted a nice piece of lr will be in its future. Maybe make the rightmost gorg a centerpiece or slip it back into the corner. Need to frag that beast soon anyways.

I'll have to go check that thing out seems like a cool tank. Media rack is easy enough. I have a few gorgs to, there in my 68.

Just don't put it back. Just in case.

I'm watching my tank for aiptasia right now. Had to yank two Coral feo. The other half's tank because she went fowlr chocolate chip seastar style and I'm not letting a pink hippo zoa become lunch.

It's a nice little tank kinda like a discount fluval edge. It's a bit wider than my spec V guppy tank but slightly shorter. The filter chambers are quite nicely sized.

Archived