Top Shelf Aquatics

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Nano Thread

NanoTopia

Got a question,

What is the difference between iodidie complex concentrate and pif? They both look to have the same ingredients.

Also k- balance, can this and one of the 2 above be used with each other? Are all of these used to enhance color only?

• Like 1

NT, You seem to be an expert with acrylic. Do you have any tips for cutting teeth in acrylic.

Expert? no, not me :D

I just carefully marked out where the teeth will be on the protection paper and took a jig saw to them, then used a file to smooth them out. Worked pretty good but it took some time :)

• Like 1

Got a question,

What is the difference between iodidie complex concentrate and pif? They both look to have the same ingredients.

Also k- balance, can this and one of the 2 above be used with each other? Are all of these used to enhance color only?

PIF is trace amounts of potassium and fluoride combined with non-organic iodine.

JOD, or Iodine complex is a mixture of organic and inorganic iodide only.

K-Balance regular is a low strength potassium product, it also contains other elements. K-Balance Strong is a higher concentration potassium additive with very little amount of added elements. If you need to bring a K value up by a fair amount, use K-Balance Strong, if you just need to maintain K, use K-Balance regular.

All the above elements are necessary at NSW values to maintain the health of corals. They can also be used additionally to enhance colours however, I would not dose either iodine product in excess and K should be maintained at 380-400ppm.

PIF is trace amounts of potassium and fluoride combined with non-organic iodine.

JOD, or Iodine complex is a mixture of organic and inorganic iodide only.

K-Balance regular is a low strength potassium product, it also contains other elements. K-Balance Strong is a higher concentration potassium additive with very little amount of added elements. If you need to bring a K value up by a fair amount, use K-Balance Strong, if you just need to maintain K, use K-Balance regular.

All the above elements are necessary at NSW values to maintain the health of corals. They can also be used additionally to enhance colours however, I would not dose either iodine product in excess and K should be maintained at 380-400ppm.

thanks for the info. If I may ask, what is the difference between organic and non organic? Does this mean organic is natural and non organic is synthetic or lab created. Just trying to understand what exactly it is/mean, sorry if its a stupid question.
  • Like 1

Organic Iodine molecule contains a carbon atom, this is what makes it organic. Many forms of iodine in the ocean and organisms convert iodine through it's various forms. Dosing KZ Iodine Complex insures there is some organic iodine available in the water for uptake by organisms. I think in a large established mixed reef system there may be less need to dose organic forms of iodine as it likely exists naturally. Smaller organism limited tanks may have a greater need for organic iodine supplementation however, I would add it sparingly to any reef tank.

Expert? no, not me :D

I just carefully marked out where the teeth will be on the protection paper and took a jig saw to them, then used a file to smooth them out. Worked pretty good but it took some time :)

I was working with a router table, miserably unsuccessful. 1/8" bit would melt the plastic and it would stick to the bit. 1/4" bounced around the sheet too much. A table saw would work I'm sure, I don't have one of those right now.

Ill try the jig saw.

ty

• Like 1

Organic Iodine molecule contains a carbon atom, this is what makes it organic. Many forms of iodine in the ocean and organisms convert iodine through it's various forms. Dosing KZ Iodine Complex insures there is some organic iodine available in the water for uptake by organisms. I think in a large established mixed reef system there may be less need to dose organic forms of iodine as it likely exists naturally. Smaller organism limited tanks may have a greater need for organic iodine supplementation however, I would add it sparingly to any reef tank.

Thank you for explaining it in detail for me. Helps me understand it better. Ive been reading up on many of kz products and learning more about what they do.

I'm still dosing the basics and having excellent results as far as color and water quality. I dose 1ml cs and 1 drop sp after wc, then cv at lights out same day as water change, nxt day at lights out I dose 1 drop aahc. I've been wanting to dose phols again, like 1 drop a week to help get a richer color. I stopped dosing this a while ago due to algae issues and high p04. Back in control and phos is not registering on my test kit.

I have been thinking of getting a potassium kit and dosing maybe some pif or k balance. I'm not running the full zeo system but am having pretty good results so far. I would like to try a few new kz additives and see what happens. Can you recommend anything?

• Like 1

I was working with a router table, miserably unsuccessful. 1/8" bit would melt the plastic and it would stick to the bit. 1/4" bounced around the sheet too much. A table saw would work I'm sure, I don't have one of those right now.

Ill try the jig saw.

ty

I have found bigger teeth work better on saws and jigsaws. Fine tooth blades make a mess.

Thank you for explaining it in detail for me. Helps me understand it better. Ive been reading up on many of kz products and learning more about what they do.

I'm still dosing the basics and having excellent results as far as color and water quality. I dose 1ml cs and 1 drop sp after wc, then cv at lights out same day as water change, nxt day at lights out I dose 1 drop aahc. I've been wanting to dose phols again, like 1 drop a week to help get a richer color. I stopped dosing this a while ago due to algae issues and high p04. Back in control and phos is not registering on my test kit.

I have been thinking of getting a potassium kit and dosing maybe some pif or k balance. I'm not running the full zeo system but am having pretty good results so far. I would like to try a few new kz additives and see what happens. Can you recommend anything?

Dosing iodine works better with very low nutrients IMO. Iodine and PO4 = algae

I would not dose any of the additives, other than the basics, until you are ultra low nutrient and stable. If you dose AA, Xtra, Iodine when there are nutrients in the system you will only end up with issues. If you dose now, dose very sparingly.

:)

• Like 1

So far I have not dosed any iodine and have not resumed with the phols. I have only thought of dosing the phols again recently because the bottle keeps starring at me every time I open my cabinet.

My p04 and no3 are zero atm and have remained this way for a few months. Only thing is I am still having minor algae outbreaks here and there but they seem to be getting less and less invasive and easier to eradicate from the system. I Think my issue was over feeding my fish even though I only feed twice a week on Wednesday's and Saturday's.

Wondering if my p04 and n03 is really 0. I have been having and explosion of growth with some mermaids cup that just appeared out of no where about a month ago. It has already taken over the back half of my tank. Curious if these are sucking up my nitrates and phosphates giving me a 0 reading on my test results. All sps and other corals are doing great and seem to be growing very quickly.

I will just continue my weekly regimen with weekly wc's and the basics and skip dosing the phols for now. I've been doing a lot better this last month with keeping the tank stable with salinity, mag, alk and ca as well as keeping my ph steady and no3 and p04 at 0 according to my test kits (salifert).

Sorry if I'm rambling (end ramble)

• Like 1

I think the smallest bottle of PIF is 50mL, should last you a couple of years. I love coral snow, it is great for facilitating elements and binding toxins for export. I generally dose it with ZEObak but you can dose it with B-Balance, Biomate, or just on it's own. 1mL/25gallons is the recommended dose but I often double that 2 or 3 times a week.

NanoTopia - so I just placed my order and added the coral snow to the mix. When would be a good day to add this in my scheduled dosing program below ?

Monday:

2 drops CV

Tuesday:

2 drops SP

0.25mL AALPS

Wednesday:

1mL Xtra (regular)

2.5mL MB7

Thursday:

2 drops SP

2 drops CV

Friday:

Nothing

Saturday:

2 drops SP

0.25mL AALPS

Sunday:

1mL Xtra (regular)

Water Change

2.5ml MB 7

SouthFlorida_Tron

NanoTopia - so I just placed my order and added the coral snow to the mix. When would be a good day to add this in my scheduled dosing program below ?

Monday:

2 drops CV (I would go down to 1 drop, don't give algae a reason to upstart)

Tuesday:

2 drops SP

0.25mL AALPS

Wednesday:

1mL Xtra (regular)

2.5mL MB7

Thursday:

2 drops SP

2 drops CV (I would go down to 1 drop, don't give algae a reason to upstart)

2mL CS

Friday:

Nothing

Saturday:

2 drops SP

0.25mL AALPS

Sunday:

1mL Xtra (regular) (Would Re assign, perhaps move to Monday)

Water Change

2.5ml MB 7

2mL CS-Post W/C

• Like 1

Dose CS with your MB7 (mix together and let stand for 5 minutes) dose after skimmer. Also you can dose CS after your water change.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Dose CS with your MB7 (mix together and let stand for 5 minutes) dose after skimmer. Also you can dose CS after your water change.

Christine, you think the Xtra would be better moved to monday instead of on WC day? I suggested in the BOLD above

Christine, you think the Xtra would be better moved to monday instead of on WC day? I suggested in the BOLD above

I would just dose it post WC on the same day.

NanoTopia - is there a reason why you dose or combine the MB 7 with the CS? Just wonder what the benefits would be opposed to dosing by itself ?

• Like 1

NanoTopia - is there a reason why you dose or combine the MB 7 with the CS? Just wonder what the benefits would be opposed to dosing by itself ?

My understanding is that bacteria will attach to the CS and it helps facilitate it. Now I can't say this is happening for sure for obvious reasons but it makes sense to me this would happen. You don't have to do this but I see no harm, only potential benefit from dosing this way.

• Like 2

I put together a spread sheet for people wanting to dose the KZ Nano Pack, based on my past experience with the products, this is what I think are good starting doses based on your net water volume. Some tweaking may be required based on your current nutrient levels, less is generally more when it comes to the ZEOvit products as they are quite concentrated. It is best to start dosing one product at a time so you can see what effects each product has on your corals and tank in general.

14138655302_67ce18e4e8_o.png

This is awesome !!! I've been looking for something like that. I have a 7 gallon and started with just Xtra to see how things did,and this stuff works amazing for zoanthids. My polyps are huge,and moving them higher up on the rocks,they get even more massive.

Quick question,with CV I saw nothing on the label or the box saying that it needs to be refrigerated.. What happens if I haven't,should I toss it or what ?

Another question,I understand ULNS can be acheived with water changes and all that jazz,but what if you want more out of your system ? Could you maybe throw together another chart for some other useful additives that I could use ? I know the Nano Pack is just food,but I'd like to dabble into some of the other bottles eventually.

Thanks Christine :)

• Like 1

This is awesome !!! I've been looking for something like that. I have a 7 gallon and started with just Xtra to see how things did,and this stuff works amazing for zoanthids. My polyps are huge,and moving them higher up on the rocks,they get even more massive.

Quick question,with CV I saw nothing on the label or the box saying that it needs to be refrigerated.. What happens if I haven't,should I toss it or what ?

Another question,I understand ULNS can be acheived with water changes and all that jazz,but what if you want more out of your system ? Could you maybe throw together another chart for some other useful additives that I could use ? I know the Nano Pack is just food,but I'd like to dabble into some of the other bottles eventually.

Thanks Christine :)

Depends how long it was opened for and not refrigerated, what does it smell like? I would probably toss it to be safe if it was more than a couple of days.

There are so many variables when it comes to all the additives, I may do a spread sheet for Full ZEOvit and nano tanks one day, possibly you can use some of the information from that as well.

Thanks for the complements :)

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Facilitator is a great explanation...

This is from zeovit guide :

Coral Snow is a liquid form secondary biological facilitator for elements such as Bbalance and Potassium-Iodide/Flouride Concentrate. It is also compatible with Amino Acids and Coral Vitalizer. Coral Snow contains a natural calcium-magnesium carbonate among other ingredients. The particles as well as the other compounds can be taken up directly by the corals. Coral Snow neutralizes unwanted acids and yellowing compounds and can be beneficial in the prevention of e.g. slime algae and cyano bacteria. We dose Coral Snow daily, every time with a different element, The necessary amount of Coral Snow is poured into a small container and mixed with the to be dosed element. Gently mix and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then add it directly to the tank at an area with high water flow. You can use 0.5 to max. 4 ml Coral Snow per 25 gallons daily. The initial cloudiness is not harmful to fishes or even the most sensitive corals. We have been successful eliminating cyanobacteria with the help of Coral Snow. In order to do that, add 1 drop of ZEObac per 25 gallons of tank water to the Coral Snow. Dose every two days until cyanobacteria is gone. It is not necessary to turn the skimmer down or off during dosing. You will notice the water is extremely clear after the initial cloudiness disappears. It appears very similar to when fresh activated carbon is placed into a tank. Please be aware that the clear water in combination with intense lighting can initially burn your corals. We recommend you raise your lights for about a week if that occurs.

• Like 2

It smells like any other amino acid based food that I've used before,its not a bad smell at all. Have you ever smelt SeaChems Amino Acids ? It smells like that I guess you could say.

That would be awesome. When I saw the Nano Pack guide,I was super happy. I'm happy to say I haven't been dosing more of Xtra than you listed,actually its been less. 1-2 drops every other day. I started getting some brown algae on the glass,so I cut back from 1 drops every day and have seen a huge difference in film algae. But whats left on the bottom of the tank and places I cant get too,pods are taking care of.

Another question,

Based off the chart quoted above. Dosing with the nano pack....

would you recommend dosing cs as well as a facilitator when dosing additives several times a week?

I dose cs only once a week and its always after a wc and with 1 drop sp. At lights out, I then dose 1 drop cv. The nxt day at lights out I then dose 1 drop aahc at lights out. Based off the chart, seems like I can dose a lot more. I would like to dose sp a few times a week as well as cv and aahc just to see if i notice any thing different. I Currently do not dose any phols. I feel like I am under dosing.

I'm wondering if I should dose 1ml of cs when dosing several times a week or just keep it for after wc only.

Another question,

Based off the chart quoted above. Dosing with the nano pack....

would you recommend dosing cs as well as a facilitator when dosing additives several times a week?

I dose cs only once a week and its always after a wc and with 1 drop sp. At lights out, I then dose 1 drop cv. The nxt day at lights out I then dose 1 drop aahc at lights out. Based off the chart, seems like I can dose a lot more. I would like to dose sp a few times a week as well as cv and aahc just to see if i notice any thing different. I Currently do not dose any phols. I feel like I am under dosing.

I'm wondering if I should dose 1ml of cs when dosing several times a week or just keep it for after wc only.

Dose Phol's,if you have any zoa's ( seeming thats all I have right now ) you'll noitce a huge difference. It took mine about 4-5 days to responde and act,but when they did you could really tell.

I did but started encountering algae issues, I stopped dosing it and it went away. I also switched from aalps to aahs so that could have been the issue also. I still have a small jar of it that has not expired. Nutrients are in check at the moment. Hmmm