Innovative Marine Aquariums

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Nano Thread

NanoTopia

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up the nano kit and a bottle of zeobak. Couple of questions.

1. would you recommend introducing one of the supplements at a time or just start dosing all 4? If so which order would you start.

2. is dosing ZEOBak beneficial without running a skimmer? if so how often would you dose? My system is 18 gallons net.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

• Like 1

The intention is to remove the nitrate and phosphate filled bacteria at some point.

Thom says our corals eat them, that remains to be proven.

If your expensive German dead bacteria, you just fattened up on carbs, phosphates, and nitrate, just decompose in your tank; what have you accomplished?

Just picked up the nano kit and a bottle of zeobak. Couple of questions.

1. would you recommend introducing one of the supplements at a time or just start dosing all 4? If so which order would you start.

2. is dosing ZEOBak beneficial without running a skimmer? if so how often would you dose? My system is 18 gallons net.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

I do recommend dosing one at a time so you can see what each product does in your tank. Not sure it really matters which to start with so much, maybe Sponge Power first, then Xtra, then Coral Vitalizer, finally AALPS. Look at my dosing guide a few pages back for my recommend starting doses (they can always be increased or decreased if need be).

I think you can dose just the ZEObak, one drop twice a week maintenance without a skimmer, there should be no issues. I would not however, dose ZEOstart3 or run zeolites without a skimmer.

Thanks for the advice. Il give the sponge power a try first. I added one drop of zeobak tonight. The water seemed to clear up incredibly. Is this known to happen with zeobak? Im holding off on starting the sponge power until next week. Thanks again!

Rich

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. Il give the sponge power a try first. I added one drop of zeobak tonight. The water seemed to clear up incredibly. Is this known to happen with zeobak? Im holding off on starting the sponge power until next week. Thanks again! Rich

Your welcome, I haven't noticed this kind of response from ZEObak but glad it's working for you. Remember ZEObak goes in the fridge after initial opening along with Coral Vitalizer :)

Polarcollision

Could have just been my eyes. Haha. I will see how it goes. Got it in the fridge. Thanks!

I was reading up on vinegar and vodka dosing the other day (along with microbacter7 or Dr Tims). Lots of people mentioned the water clearing up about an hour after dosing bacteria as well.

Mr. Microscope

Planning to start potassium dosing. I got a K test kit.

Wondering if there is any difference between the K-Balance Strong and regular K-Balance other than concentration.

If I can use the Strong safely, why would I want to purchase the regular strength stuff?

I know the Strong is geared towards larger tanks, but it's not like I can't do math and figure out how much to add. If I can get a bottle that's going to last me a lot longer, I'd rather do that.

jedimasterben

Planning to start potassium dosing. I got a K test kit.

Wondering if there is any difference between the K-Balance Strong and regular K-Balance other than concentration.

If I can use the Strong safely, why would I want to purchase the regular strength stuff?

I know the Strong is geared towards larger tanks, but it's not like I can't do math and figure out how much to add. If I can get a bottle that's going to last me a lot longer, I'd rather do that.

The concentrations of both bottles is an unknown. You're better off buying powdered potassium chloride and sulfate and either mixing it yourself or dosing it dry, especially if you're trying to increase levels by any significant amount. Only so much will dissolve properly in a small amount of water.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

The concentrations of both bottles is an unknown. You're better off buying powdered potassium chloride and sulfate and either mixing it yourself or dosing it dry, especially if you're trying to increase levels by any significant amount. Only so much will dissolve properly in a small amount of water.

Do you happen to know the concentrations or ratios of each? Is it 1:1? Got any protocols for whipping up a batch?

Hi Mr.M,

K-Balance contains more than just potassium. K-Balance Strong is mainly potassium concentrate but like Ben says, exact concentration is not known. It is always hit and miss even when mixing exact proportions and relying on "now much" it is supposed to raise the ppm. Either way I suggest that you dose K slowly and increase it over a couple of weeks minimum while testing daily or every second day. You can go to 420ppm (if necessary) without issue in most cases, but every tank is different so keep an eye on the inhabitants.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1795536

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16630299&postcount=16

7:1. I just bought mine, though, 600g premixed powder and dose dry to bring it up to higher levels.

Thanks Ben!

Why do you dose dry and not from a stock solution? How are you measuring/how much are you adding/how quickly?

Hi Mr.M,

K-Balance contains more than just potassium. K-Balance Strong is mainly potassium concentrate but like Ben says, exact concentration is not known. It is always hit and miss even when mixing exact proportions and relying on "now much" it is supposed to raise the ppm. Either way I suggest that you dose K slowly and increase it over a couple of weeks minimum while testing daily or every second day. You can go to 420ppm (if necessary) without issue in most cases, but every tank is different so keep an eye on the inhabitants.

Thanks Christine! My current K level seems to be 540ppm (just from my Salt). I plan to take it up perhaps to 800ppm. I'm thinking maybe 50-100ppm/week. Any thoughts?
jedimasterben

Thanks Ben!

Why do you dose dry and not from a stock solution?

Laziness, first and foremost lol. Beyond that, a stock solution would still be very weak and would need significant dosing to be effective at raising K. I'm using Brightwell Potassion-, and the stock solution is 5g per 236mL, which raises K by 1.7ppm in 1 gallon of water for every mL of solution. I have around 90g volume, so it would take gallons of stock solution to do what I need to do. Each gram of the dry powder increases K by 129ppm in one gallon of water, and a tablespoon is around 5g.

How are you measuring/how much are you adding/how quickly?

First dose was five tablespoons on Saturday night, and three tablespoons Monday night. I believe there are 17g per tablespoon of this solution (I can't remember offhand, I have it written down at home), so the first dose should have increased K by around 121ppm, the second by an additional 75ppm.

• Like 1

Thanks Christine! My current K level seems to be 540ppm (just from my Salt). I plan to take it up perhaps to 800ppm. I'm thinking maybe 50-100ppm/week. Any thoughts?

I would cross check that finding, 540ppm sounds very suspect to me. I do not know of any salt that tests over 400ppm K. Potassium should be 400ppm but you can push that a bit. I know you must have seen the MACNA presentation by Justin Credible, I appreciate his thoughts and I know he says his systems are running at 800ppm but as far as I know he is the only person running levels that high.

I am sticking to 420ppm for a while since I have a great response from corals at that level over 400ppm. To increase it at this point seems illogical and only a waste of element. That is me however, and remember my nutrients are low. Justin was referring to higher nutrients when he claimed 800ppm was possible.

First dose was five tablespoons on Saturday night, and three tablespoons Monday night. I believe there are 17g per tablespoon of this solution (I can't remember offhand, I have it written down at home), so the first dose should have increased K by around 121ppm, the second by an additional 75ppm.

Ben, you raised potassium in your tank 121ppm in one night?

You need to start a thread on this specifically. I will be your first follower :)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Ben, you raised potassium in your tank 121ppm in one night?

You need to start a thread on this specifically. I will be your first follower :)

Yes, as long as my scale and my math are correct :)

I am having issues getting a proper reading of the higher K numbers. The Salifert kit I purchased only reads to 470ppm, and my attempt at cutting my tank water 50/50 with DI water to get a 'half' reading failed.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Yes, as long as my scale and my math are correct :)

I am having issues getting a proper reading of the higher K numbers. The Salifert kit I purchased only reads to 470ppm, and my attempt at cutting my tank water 50/50 with DI water to get a 'half' reading failed.

That's what I did, though it worked for me. You have the kit in a black box?

My initial reading maxed out right away. So I diluted 50/50 and the kit turned blue after 21 drops at 270ppm. I just x2'd it to get 540ppm.

jedimasterben

That's what I did, though it worked for me. You have the kit in a black box?

My initial reading maxed out right away. So I diluted 50/50 and the kit turned blue after 21 drops at 270ppm. I just x2'd it to get 540ppm.

Yes, the standard Salifert kit. Adding the first reagent was fine, but I added the second and something precipitated and turned the water into thick milk.

• Like 2