Cultivated Reef

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Nano Thread

NanoTopia

I think he is going for function over aesthetics with his equipment, his stuff does stand out from the crowd though, even if he used to keep hamsters as a child :)

I just ordered some parts from Proline to mod my Vertex 1.5, to make it auto.

I thought of solenoids and motors (kitchenaide to a vacuum), nothing seemed safe to me. I get water on top of my reactor all the time.

Ill get you some pics and vids when Im done, I think you'll like the idea. Essentually blowing 900ghp through the reactor to tumble the rocks, dislodge the mulm. And it will move the red handle of the ball valve up and out of the bottom of the sump.

• Like 1

I just ordered some parts from Proline to mod my Vertex 1.5. I thought of solenoids and motors (kitchenaide to a vacuum), nothing seemed safe to me. I get water on top of my reactor all the time. Ill get you some pics and vids when Im done, I think you'll like the idea. Essentually blowing 900ghp through the reactor to tumble the rocks, dislodge the mulm. And it will move the red handle of the ball valve up and out of the bottom of the sump.

I have seen many attempts to mod zeo-reactors with motors, the last one I saw is still in process and being revised. It is a knock-off of the KZ one and looks very good, the problem was the motor was not strong enough and able to reverse direction quick enough to really move the stones. I wait for his updated version with a bigger more powerful motor. He is using Arduino to control it.

I am not sure 900GPH will tumble the stones, if it does it will essentially be moving them into suspension and not be grinding them enough to remove the mulm effectively. I am not saying it won't work, only something to consider.

In any case, the price Thomas Pohl is asking for his automated reactor is criminal however, IMO it is the best solution next to physically shaking them. I believe a DIY can be done to an existing Vertex reactor that will work just as good for something in the range of ~$300. So a new Vertex 1.5L and modifications for around $500. That's less than a third of what he is asking, mind you it takes some skill to do this mod properly and that's something to consider.

I am able to physically shake the stones daily, sometimes twice a day so I really don't need the automation however, I can certainly see peoples need for it. I think I would consider a mod of my own if I was not able to be by my reef daily, and if I won the lottery, maybe just order a KZ one :D

Automatic ZEOvit® Filter

Product Description

The Automatic ZEOvit® Filters!

A comfortable solution for reefers travelling a lot or having very little time: The new Automatic ZEOvit® Filters mix the ZEOvit® media very silently and automatically every hour for about 20 seconds. So channeling is avoided, mulm is flushed out and bacterio plankton released for assimilation of corals. The integrated, high quality motor works nearly noiseless. Flow rate is adjustable for optimum supply and automation of the ZEOvit® system according to tank size.

Use only our special ZEOvit version for Automatic filters for this filters.

Sizes:

• Size M 28×20×67cm Diameter 16cm
  • Size L 30×22×67cm Diameter 19cm

Price starting at: 1490,00 € *

Pretty hard to justify this price really, just plastic and a motor.

Thanks for the info about bio pellets

:)

Your welcome :)

• Like 1

Christine. You rock. I am leaning towards trying to do full zeo SPS dominant tank on a new PicO 5 when I get home. Only concern is finding a quality enough skimmer to pull it off and be able to fit in the back chamber and do what I need it to. Its going to be tight getting Carbon and a TLF150 reactor back there on top of my tunze osmo, heater, probes, return pump, filter floss, clip for nano-box, etc etc. Any suggestions on small (i.e., tiny) skimmers that will accomplish what I want?

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Well... A Full zeo system would also include running zeo stones, through a reactor, and i doubt theres room in that pico5 for that!!!!!!

• Like 2

Well... A Full zeo system would also include running zeo stones, through a reactor, and i doubt theres room in that pico5 for that!!!!!!

Was planning on the TLF150 referenced in the other post in HOB mode.

SerenityReef

Any suggestions on small (i.e., tiny) skimmers that will accomplish what I want?

PLS-*50 Cadlights

Edited by SerenityReef
  • Like 3

Vertex Zeo 1.5 Auto Mod ver. 1.0

20140620_232847_1.jpg

I have to test it. I have a probable suspicion that the Eheim will just pump water out the other pump.

• Like 2

Thats still proof of concept.

Getting red pvc where you see white pipe.

Loc line had a small check valve. I can swap out the pvc tubing for loc line. Wont look nice but wont look too bad either.

I really did want to get that red handle out of the water.

I have given up on my glass cutting myself, I have no skilz. Gonna sub that out.

• Like 1

My suggestion:

Monday:

2 drops CV

Tuesday:

2 drops SP

0.25mL AALPS

Wednesday:

1mL Xtra (regular)

2.5mL MB7

Thursday:

2 drops SP

2 drops CV

Friday:

Nothing

Saturday:

2 drops SP

0.25mL AALPS

Sunday:

1mL Xtra (regular)

Water Change

2.5ml MB 7

Keep CV refrigerated after initial opening.

Nano Topia / all - I have been using the above dosing schedule with great success / Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I am all most out of the Xtra that was supplied in the Nano Pack and planning to order some more from BRS (Xtra, SP, AALPS,CV) along with MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 1 12” Spheres to add in my sump for additional filtration / space for bacteria. As I don't have any LR in my tank besides the Vida Rock Structures. Also, as a precaution I have all my zeovit products in my 2nd fridge in the garage / living in AZ in the summer things will probably spoil faster if left out!!

Just wondering what else / if anything would you suggest adding to the dosing regiment ? Also - would it wise to order the SP, AALPS and CV - as I have a little over half the bottle left on these supplements ? I just don't want the new supplement to go bad before I use them ?

• Like 1

Thanks Evo :)

You might want to give PIF (Potassium Iodide Fluoride) a try, dose as directed.

SP and CV are basics IMO so worth it to invest in big bottles. AALPS is also a good investment if you have a fair amount of LPS corals.

With nano tanks the big bottles are hard to use up before expiry in many cases, they do sell 100mL bottles of AALPS if you can find it.

• Like 1

So initially I didn't take well to the new dissolving cubes put out by KZ, I am a control freak and the thought of just placing a cube of B-Balance in my tank to dissolve scares the heck out of me. I am warming up to the idea but I still think the auto dosing cubes go against the KZ philosophy of dosing based on coral appearance. I see the benefits but also see how they could cause issues in the aquarium.

KZ seems to be moving in the direction of automation, I don't think that the ZEovit System will be as effective using automation since every tank is different and dosing is based on experience with your own tank and the appearance of corals.

There is still some question as to where the carrier of the element goes while the cube is dissolving, consensus has it the skimmer exports it. I trust KZ has a solid product and it will perform as advertised, I just wonder how many people will throw a cube of PIF in their sump before vacation and come back to and algae problem. Since I am able to dose my tank daily I see no need for the dissolving cubes but If I were travelling all the time I may give them a try.

• Like 1
Thanks Evo :)

You might want to give PIF (Potassium Iodide Fluoride) a try, dose as directed.

SP and CV are basics IMO so worth it to invest in big bottles. AALPS is also a good investment if you have a fair amount of LPS corals.

With nano tanks the big bottles are hard to use up before expiry in many cases, they do sell 100mL bottles of AALPS if you can find it.

Thanks Nano Topia !! I'll have to check out PIF. What do you think of coral snow?

• Like 1

So initially I didn't take well to the new dissolving cubes put out by KZ, I am a control freak and the thought of just placing a cube of B-Balance in my tank to dissolve scares the heck out of me. I am warming up to the idea but I still think the auto dosing cubes go against the KZ philosophy of dosing based on coral appearance. I see the benefits but also see how they could cause issues in the aquarium.

KZ seems to be moving in the direction of automation, I don't think that the ZEovit System will be as effective using automation since every tank is different and dosing is based on experience with your own tank and the appearance of corals.

There is still some question as to where the carrier of the element goes while the cube is dissolving, consensus has it the skimmer exports it. I trust KZ has a solid product and it will perform as advertised, I just wonder how many people will throw a cube of PIF in their sump before vacation and come back to and algae problem. Since I am able to dose my tank daily I see no need for the dissolving cubes but If I were travelling all the time I may give them a try.

I agree the cubes would be awesome when I am gone for week on work travel or vacation but I would be worried of overdosing the tank with the cube products. Also at what rate does the cube dissolve ? And how much product is dosed ? This is what worries me the most since I don't dose a lot of product daily / the cubes my be suited for larger tanks as they have more water volume but it would be nice in theory to just drop a cube in the sump and have it automatically dose your tank !

• Like 1

Thanks Nano Topia !! I'll have to check out PIF. What do you think of coral snow?

I think the smallest bottle of PIF is 50mL, should last you a couple of years. I love coral snow, it is great for facilitating elements and binding toxins for export. I generally dose it with ZEObak but you can dose it with B-Balance, Biomate, or just on it's own. 1mL/25gallons is the recommended dose but I often double that 2 or 3 times a week.

• Like 1

I agree the cubes would be awesome when I am gone for week on work travel or vacation but I would be worried of overdosing the tank with the cube products. Also at what rate does the cube dissolve ? And how much product is dosed ? This is what worries me the most since I don't dose a lot of product daily / the cubes my be suited for larger tanks as they have more water volume but it would be nice in theory to just drop a cube in the sump and have it automatically dose your tank !

Each cube has a set release rate based on 50L net water, they last for 4 months. The release rate is based on regular suggested dosing of the liquid counterparts, but IME that can sometimes be too much. This is why I am not fond of the idea, I would start with half the cube personally and take it from there. Of course none of these products should be dosed unless the tank is running low nutrient, stable, and algae free.

Thats still proof of concept.

Getting red pvc where you see white pipe.

Loc line had a small check valve. I can swap out the pvc tubing for loc line. Wont look nice but wont look too bad either.

I really did want to get that red handle out of the water.

I have given up on my glass cutting myself, I have no skilz. Gonna sub that out.

The lock-line check valves are not reliable IMO, why not install a spears check valve? More pricy but also more reliable and easier to clean. BTW, the reactor has a built-in check valve, have you tried it?

• Like 1

The loc line check valve is going the wrong way, and have to gerry rig it with tubing. Im going to test it, but just blowing through it one can tell that there is a lot of resistance on flow. I have a 900gph pump with 1" out, throttled to 1/2", and cut by half again by the check.

By the end it probably will have the same throughput as the little eheim that comes with it.

Ill end up getting a small Spears like you say, one in my cart now.

• Like 1

The loc line check valve is going the wrong way, and have to gerry rig it with tubing. Im going to test it, but just blowing through it one can tell that there is a lot of resistance on flow. I have a 900gph pump with 1" out, throttled to 1/2", and cut by half again by the check. By the end it probably will have the same throughput as the little eheim that comes with it. Ill end up getting a small Spears like you say, one in my cart now.

My reactor has a built-in check valve, have you ran water through yours and tested it?

Yes, it has the check valve going towards the reactor.

I did not want to drill into the cylinder(which still is an option).

So I TEE'd off after the ball valve. Going backward is not the problem. My red pvc came in yesterday from BRS to match.

Its the Eheim blowing water out the auto pump side. And not blowing into the cylinder and rocks.

Anyway, I finished my sock holder for my sump. Looks good for hand made. I dont want to have to pull the drain pipe out at each sock change, so Im making a small chamber for the drain which then flows up and over a baffle that holds the sock. This pre sock chamber is probably going to act like a settling tank if the flow is not sufficient. Ill deal with that later if it happens.

If its easier I wont be tempted to slack on sock changes. When the sock is saturated water should flow over that little lip, splashing to the water below alerting me of needed changing.

20140627_092419.jpg

• Like 2