Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Nano Thread

NanoTopia

It's funny you mention those work for you, oyster and phyto feasts only created disasters in my reefs!

I change out my sock like every other day.

Skimmer is a BM Curve5, its adequate at pulling the wasted PhytoFeast out.

The OysterFeast stalls the skimmer for a couple hours, then picks up again. Lipids, Im sure. It does that with Selcon too.

And its like 3ml a serving.

Its 40 gallons. And with back to back 25% water changes. And a whole lot of manual detritus removal. I only do this on my days off, takes up a lot of time.

The mysis makes a mess too, I mix them up with a spoonful of TLF PhytoPlan. The LPS catch that up readily, but produce a lot of mucus to hold onto it. Fish eat the sailaway shrimp.

I can easily see that making a disaster if all that eaten and uneaten crap wasnt pulled out. It was the maxima I got that started a lot of it. Just slowly worked up to see what the tank and the Zeo could handle(and my ability to clean out fish poop). Clam is happy as a clam.

But I keep having second thoughts about moving both the SPS and the piggy LPS into the same tank. I dont think I have the energy to run two tanks though. I bought a water tank so I can do 100% water changes if need be, so I vacilate on the mixed reef Zeo. Reading about the demise of Oregon Reef convinced me to be prepared for that.

I know Oyster Delight(basically the same thing as Oyster Feast) can cause my phosphates to go through the roof if I am not careful....especially if I feed too much and get lazy with changing the floss.

I got lazy about testing phosphates. I kept getting 0.00, or the reversed vial error when I tested the tank in the beginning., when I had the most crap algae growing.

I have less crap algae now than then, shrug; its just going to come back zero. When the tank starts to look a little dirty, I do a couple water changes. Just use my eyes. Its faster to just change the water than it is to titrate.

• 3 weeks later...

Just throwing a thought on the floor to populate this thread as a base for all zeovit information for nano reefkeepers.

Can I continue using expired coral snow, b-balance and phol's xtra? I have 3 bottles of 1L each. Taking eons to complete them when my tank is only ~100L (25 US gallons).

Anyway thank you Christine for creating this thread! Love what you are doing for this community (:

• Like 2

Just throwing a thought on the floor to populate this thread as a base for all zeovit information for nano reefkeepers.

Can I continue using expired coral snow, b-balance and phol's xtra? I have 3 bottles of 1L each. Taking eons to complete them when my tank is only ~100L (25 US gallons).

Anyway thank you Christine for creating this thread! Love what you are doing for this community (:

Thanks Ancelot :)

I suspect the outdated bottles have more of a risk for contamination, old bottles that have been dipped into many times and been left to sit could develop issues. I just finished re-reading through a friends thread where he struggled to find the cause of his SPS corals tissue bubbling. I had never seen this before, only heard about it. I suggested it might be a reaction to some chemical or substance that was irritating the tissue, turns out his Start3 was expired by a year. Possibly the bottle became contaminated and over time fouled. Granted this was a carbon source and not elements and vitamins but I still feel there is some risk of contamination. This also depends on how the bottles were handled over time.

I would think as long as you don't see adverse affects from using the additives, they should be okay to use.

Thanks Ancelot :)

I suspect the outdated bottles have more of a risk for contamination, old bottles that have been dipped into many times and been left to sit could develop issues. I just finished re-reading through a friends thread where he struggled to find the cause of his SPS corals tissue bubbling. I had never seen this before, only heard about it. I suggested it might be a reaction to some chemical or substance that was irritating the tissue, turns out his Start3 was expired by a year. Possibly the bottle became contaminated and over time fouled. Granted this was a carbon source and not elements and vitamins but I still feel there is some risk of contamination. This also depends on how the bottles were handled over time.

I would think as long as you don't see adverse affects from using the additives, they should be okay to use.

Hi Christine,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I will proceed with caution and pay attention to any adverse effects. Just rechecked all the bottles I got. The currently expired ones are CS, B-Balance, Xtra and Start3 (holy crap!)

Nevertheless, let me be the guinea pig and see how things go. It is really a waste to throw all 4 1L bottles away; not to mention all 4 are close to full ie. previous user utilised them on a minimal basis.

Thank you once again Christine! (:

• Like 1

Korallen-Zucht Guide for Problem Solving Coral Issues. Taken from the new brochure. These are not my recommendations.

This is a quick guide line, telling you which product can be used for which purpose.

This reference will also be helpful as a problem solver for different problems.

Coloration

Pohl’s Xtra, B-Balance, Sponge Power, ZEOspur 2, Stylo-Poci-Glow, Macroelements, K-Balance, Iron Concentrate, Iodide Complex, Potassium Iodide fluoride

Phosphate/Nitrate

Use ZEOvit®, ZEObak, ZEOstart and Activated Carbon. Also BIOphos 2 and 3 can be used (not necessary when using the ZEOvit® sys- tem). Coral sand and Coral gravel should be soaked in reverse osmosis water before use. Use ZEOlife.

Slime algae

Mix ZEObak and Coral Snow and dose the mixture daily. Add a filtration resin as the last stage of your RO unit and check the RO water with a TDS meter. Test for a adequate Calcium level, approx. 410 mg/l is ideal. Check life time of tubes and bulbs. Test for PO4 and cross check salinity. Siphon out slime algae.

Tissue Narcosis from the tips

Check calcium level. Check phosphates, maybe phosphates were reduced to quick. Use Coral Snow.

Tissue Narcosis from the base

Do a higher water change. Dose Sponge Power and Pohl’s Xtra. Use Coral Snow and Activated Carbon. Cross check Salinity and basic water parameters.

Bubbling in tissue and tips

Check calcium level.

Yellowing compounds in the water

Use Activated Carbon. Dose Coral Snow

Goniopora/Alveopora bad polyp extension

Place in a lower flow and light area. Use Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acid.

Pale colors on Seriatopora, Stylophora, Pocillopora corals
Dose Stylo-Poci-Glow. Check the potassium level and Salinity. Avoid quick changes in salinity. Dose Pohl’s Xtra and B-Balance.

Brown coloration of Acropora and other SPS corals
Dose Pohl’s Xtra, ZEOspur 2, Stylo-Poci-Glow, B-Balance and the ZEOvit®-System base products.

General bad look of corals

Water change of approx 30 % with Reefer’s Best salt, crosscheck salinity. Possible helpful: Sponge Power, Coral Snow, Pohl’s Xtra, Coral Vitalizer.

Increase polyp extension

Dose Coral Vitalizer, use activated carbon.

Pale coloration, bad polyp extension
of Acropora, Montipora and Seriatopora corals
Observe for any kind of pests like e.g. Acropora tissue eating turbellara, Montipora tissue eating snails or other pests. Most parasites are hard to find so check the corals closely. Dip the affected corals in iodide or fresh water (take care not all corals tolerate a fresh water bath) or manual remove (e.g. clam snails), also Rhynchocinetes durbanensis and diffe- rent wrasses can be helpful.

This list is not complete, just a quick “first aid guide” to indicate a resolution for a problem.

• Like 2

Cyno treatment?

Mix Cyanoclean 1drop/25gallons net water with Coral Snow 1mL/25gallons, let sit for 5 minutes before dosing. Dose daily for 10 days.

Edit: Originally said 1mL/25gallons, should be 1 drop/25gallons net water. The Coral Snow is 1mL/25gallons :)

Mix Cyanoclean 1mL/25gallons net water with Coral Snow 1mL/25gallons, let sit for 5 minutes before dosing. Dose daily for 10 days.

thank you. Got a minor outbreak going on in the cad tank. Very lil but if it grows outta control, this is good to know, hand.picking for now

i dont know if this has been asked yet but how large is the 1.5l vertex reactor? will it fit in the any of the rear chambers of my 30g jbj rimless?

i dont know if this has been asked yet but how large is the 1.5l vertex reactor? will it fit in the any of the rear chambers of my 30g jbj rimless?

RX-Z 1.5 Specifications:

• Capacity: 1.5 liters of media (approximately 50 US-fl. oz.)
  • Total height: 500mm (approximately: 19.5")
  • Chamber diameter: 120mm (approximately 4.7")
  • Foot-Print; 195 x 140 mm (approximately 7.6" x 5.5")
  • Pump: Eheim Compact 600

thank you. Got a minor outbreak going on in the cad tank. Very lil but if it grows outta control, this is good to know, hand.picking for now

Easier to get rid of now rather than wait for an outbreak.

For a mixed reef do you really need both Amino Acids or is the AA LPS just an offering for no SPS tanks?

Each product is specifically designed for either SPS or LPS corals. You can dose both if your reef has both types of corals however, if you have SPS and a few LPS and you like to dose only one AA, dose the AAHC for SPS. I believe the LPS can benefit some from the AAHC as well.

• Like 2

New from Korallen-Zucht... at InterZoo.

KZ Automatic Elements :huh:

Yes you heard right, 3 new elements available in a solid cube block that you just place in your tank or sump and they leach out elements over 4 months. BUT, before you get too excited, have a look at the three new products...

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop/products--technology/elements/8289_automatic-elements-pohls-b-balance-concentrate.html

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop/products--technology/elements/8288_auomatic-elements-potassium-iodide-fluoride-concentrate.html

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop/products--technology/elements/8287_automatic-elements-iron-concentrate.html

I'm going to say this might be a huge product FAIL for KZ, the concept is interesting but who on gods earth is going to put a solid cube of iron leaching some unknown amount of element in their sump or tank? Not me thanks :)

This goes against KZ's original instruction of dosing based on the appearance of corals, which made a lot of sense to me. I just don't think this product will sit well with ZEOvit users and, if this is the only announcement for KZ from InterZoo, I am well... :tears:

No.

You could probably retro a TLF 150 reactor to fit or hang on the back.

SerenityReef

I have been reading about KZ lately and my current plan is a little different, maybe I’ll be crazy or maybe it will help a few others. Thanks NanoTopia for the thread to do it on.

I currently run a RSM 130 with a LifeReef LRSM-D. Total water volume right at 50 gallons. I run a skimmer and currently two IM reactors, one BRS ROX 0.8 and one BRS GFO.

I do not plan to run a full Zeo system, just select additives. A full system is in the future but my travel plans do not allow me a long enough window to make that change and be around to monitor at the moment. I would like to run the selected additives to make it easier on my tank sitter and benefit my livestock.

Two part dosing- ESV Calcium and Alkalinity.

Hand dosing- ESV Magnesium when needed.

Levels Currently-

• PO4- 0.01
  • NO3- -1

Additives currently debating-

• Amino Acid High Concentrate
  • Amino Acid LPS
  • Xtra special
  • Coral Booster
  • Coral Snow
  • Coral Vitalizer
  • Sponge Power
  • B-Balance
  • possibly Trace Elements

Parts of my current routine I would think about keeping would be-

• AcroPower
  • Golden Pearl (5-50 microns)
  • Golden Pearl (200-300 microns)
  • Tahitian Blend
  • Reef-roids (150-200 microns)

I also dose Brightwell Iodion (no preference just left over).

I do not dose potassium or strontium (I do not own test kit).

I have Purigen and was looking at Chemi-pure blue but sounds like they don’t mix well with Zeo.

I also have a Nuvo 4 (3.5 gallons volume) I thought about AALPS, SP, & CV.

Maybe one drop a week of each a day apart, or diluting in the top off (CV excluded)? Only concern would be I don’t run a skimmer on that system just floss, carbon, & a 100% WC every 6 weeks.

Thanks for reading and Thanks in advance for the advice. Hope other debating systems similar to mine can find this helpful.

Happy Reefing

• Like 1

I have been reading about KZ lately and my current plan is a little different, maybe I’ll be crazy or maybe it will help a few others. Thanks NanoTopia for the thread to do it on.
I currently run a RSM 130 with a LifeReef LRSM-D. Total water volume right at 50 gallons. I run a skimmer and currently two IM reactors, one BRS ROX 0.8 and one BRS GFO.
I do not plan to run a full Zeo system, just select additives. A full system is in the future but my travel plans do not allow me a long enough window to make that change and be around to monitor at the moment. I would like to run the selected additives to make it easier on my tank sitter and benefit my livestock.
Two part dosing- ESV Calcium and Alkalinity.
Hand dosing- ESV Magnesium when needed.
Levels Currently-
  • PO4- 0.01
  • NO3- -1
Additives currently debating-
  • Amino Acid High Concentrate
  • Amino Acid LPS
  • Xtra special
  • Coral Booster
  • Coral Snow
  • Coral Vitalizer
  • Sponge Power
  • B-Balance
  • possibly Trace Elements
Parts of my current routine I would think about keeping would be-
  • AcroPower
  • Golden Pearl (5-50 microns)
  • Golden Pearl (200-300 microns)
  • Tahitian Blend
  • Reef-roids (150-200 microns)
I also dose Brightwell Iodion (no preference just left over).
I do not dose potassium or strontium (I do not own test kit).
I have Purigen and was looking at Chemi-pure blue but sounds like they don’t mix well with Zeo.
I also have a Nuvo 4 (3.5 gallons volume) I thought about AALPS, SP, & CV.
Maybe one drop a week of each a day apart, or diluting in the top off (CV excluded)? Only concern would be I don’t run a skimmer on that system just floss, carbon, & a 100% WC every 6 weeks.
Thanks for reading and Thanks in advance for the advice. Hope other debating systems similar to mine can find this helpful.
Happy Reefing

Thanks SR.

I would purchase a potassium test kit, Salifert is the one you need. If your keeping SPS, K is important.

When it is said "____" doesn't mix well with ZEOvit, this generally refers to the full ZEOvit method and the Zeolites along with ZEOstart3 dosing. Most additives can be used with any system but it is possible you will not see the full effect of them.

SerenityReef

I would purchase a potassium test kit, Salifert is the one you need. If your keeping SPS, K is important.

Salifert over Zeo?

I guess all my other test kits are Salifert...

SR,

AcroPower is rocket fuel as far as I can tell.

Huge amount of tissue growth on both SPS and LPS, in a very short time.

Still testing it, but Im sure that the Zeo AAs budget will be spent on other Zeo stuff next buy round.

Which is probably right now. ZeO stuff is like 25% off at most online Zeo vendors now.

Mix Cyanoclean 1mL/25gallons net water with Coral Snow 1mL/25gallons, let sit for 5 minutes before dosing. Dose daily for 10 days.

That's an expensive treatment.

10ml of CyanoClean is normally $20.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-cyano-clean.html

Its like 25% off.

If CC is bacteria culture, and has a doubling time of 12 to 36 hours, is using that much really necessary? The bottle states use 1 drop per 25 gallons. Thats what Ive been using, and still have red slime cyano. I stopped my ATS, now its growing in the refugium(none in the tank).

I will not have an ATS or refugium in the display tank as originally planned. I get to tear apart my beautiful sump and rebuild it, yeah.

• Like 1

That's an expensive treatment.

10ml of CyanoClean is normally $20.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-cyano-clean.html

Its like 25% off.

If CC is bacteria culture, and has a doubling time of 12 to 36 hours, is using that much really necessary? The bottle states use 1 drop per 25 gallons. Thats what Ive been using, and still have red slime cyano. I stopped my ATS, now its growing in the refugium(none in the tank).

I will not have an ATS or refugium in the display tank as originally planned. I get to tear apart my beautiful sump and rebuild it, yeah.

Sorry that's was a typo, should be 1drop/25gallons of CyanoClean. My Bad.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

With as much as hes making, you might assume that Tom could afford a razor.

And he needs to hire some new designers, his reactors are horrible looking. They look like the colored plastics they used for Habitrails in the 70s.

• Like 1

Is it okay to run bio pellets while dosing a few of the kz products like, sp, aahc,cs and cv?

Yes, no problem.

With as much as hes making, you might assume that Tom could afford a razor.

And he needs to hire some new designers, his reactors are horrible looking. They look like the colored plastics they used for Habitrails in the 70s.

I think he is going for function over aesthetics with his equipment, his stuff does stand out from the crowd though, even if he used to keep hamsters as a child :)