SaltCritters.com

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

How's the Lawnmower blenny behaving? I read online that they can eventually start messing with clams! Thought I'd give you a heads up in case the clams start acting weird.

I saw that. Of course I read that AFTER buying the algae blenny. I've been keeping an eye on him and the clams because of that and so far there aren't any issues. I see him pick things off the clams shells sometimes, but he never messes with the mantles and they never seem stressed by him. I'll keep watching him. Thanks for the heads up!

So did you talk to the LFS about fish today? :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that. Of course I read that AFTER buying the algae blenny. I've been keeping an eye on him and the clams because of that and so far there aren't any issues. I see him pick things off the clams shells sometimes, but he never messes with the mantles and they never seem stressed by him. I'll keep watching him. Thanks for the heads up!

So did you talk to the LFS about fish today? :)

I never made it in there today. Maybe tomorrow :).

I hope your blenny behaves! I had a bi-color blenny that would pick at LPS (open brain)...you wouldn't think those blennies would be interested in meat since algae seems to be what they really like. It must be hit-or-miss with them.

I never made it in there today. Maybe tomorrow :).

I hope your blenny behaves! I had a bi-color blenny that would pick at LPS (open brain)...you wouldn't think those blennies would be interested in meat since algae seems to be what they really like. It must be hit-or-miss with them.

Yeah, I didn't even think about that with the blenny since they eat algae. Hopefully he stays well behaved!

The hogfish was out and about when I came home from work today, so she's slowly warming up to the tank. She ate some food and stayed out for a while and then went back down into the rocks. Hopefully she'll be out more and more over the next couple days. Here's a quick video of her from earlier.

aaaaw. She's doing really well. What was the fish that was hiding in the rock there?

Yep! She ate some mysis today so she's doing very well so far :) That's the YWG. The cave in that rock is where him and the firefish live. They're best buds.

loving the leopard wrasse

Shhh, don't tell my other fish but the leopard wrasse is my favorite. She's so cute and has such a great personality. :) How are your new female flasher wrasses doing? I hope well!

Quick update on the yellow candy hogfish. She has settled in now and is doing so well. She was out and about all day yesterday instead of hiding more of the time. She's also gotten braver and is swimming all over the tank instead of just lurking near her spot in the left rock. I don't know if you all noticed in the last video of her, but the leopard wrasse and coris wrasse nipped at her a bit. Nothing too major but of course they had to work out their hierarchy. Now they've accepted her and all 4 of the wrasses are getting along great. I think having 3 feet of swimming space really makes all the difference. I love seeing 4 brightly colored wrasses swimming out in the open all the time. The tank is always so active and colorful now :) I've got another quick video of the yellow candy hogfish that I'll get up in a bit.

Polarcollision

Shhh, don't tell my other fish but the leopard wrasse is my favorite. She's so cute and has such a great personality. :) How are your new female flasher wrasses doing? I hope well!

Quick update on the yellow candy hogfish. She has settled in now and is doing so well. She was out and about all day yesterday instead of hiding more of the time. She's also gotten braver and is swimming all over the tank instead of just lurking near her spot in the left rock. I don't know if you all noticed in the last video of her, but the leopard wrasse and coris wrasse nipped at her a bit. Nothing too major but of course they had to work out their hierarchy. Now they've accepted her and all 4 of the wrasses are getting along great. I think having 3 feet of swimming space really makes all the difference. I love seeing 4 brightly colored wrasses swimming out in the open all the time. The tank is always so active and colorful now :) I've got another quick video of the yellow candy hogfish that I'll get up in a bit.

Unfortunately not great news on the babies. The first two did not survive past the second night. One was injured when it arrived and the other died of ich. Then the yellow watchman goby disappeared completely--it arrived with a torn mouth and I suspect it never ate. So 0 for 3 on my first try ordering fish. Vivid Aquariums honored their 2 week warranty and replaced the order. Even covered shipping. I thought that was really great customer service. The second set were healthier on arrival and have all survived a week so far. The yellow watchman this time is very shy and it's colors are not as vivid. I thought might be a pink spot goby since it's more a brownish cream color. Hopefully it colors up. The replacement babies are actually one male juvenile and one female this time. The male immediately ate almost the entire back fin of the female. I caught her and put her in a hospital crate to make sure she eats until she fully recovers. The male baby is pretty aggressive, so he'll be going to a new home. Crossing my fingers the female survives. She's eating so there is hope! :-)

Dang that's pretty crazy, all these wrasses are in your nuvo 24?

These are in her 36'' long 30g. Plenty of swimming room for all these micro fishies. We pretty much have the same tank dims and as soon as i rehome my bastard Melanurus, i'm going a similar route with my new fish list. I love all the activity and pop of color she's getting over there!

Hey Felicia you hiding another nuvo 24 ova there :lol: tank hoarder :P

Dang that's pretty crazy, all these wrasses are in your nuvo 24?

They're in my 30 gallon. Its 3 feet long like the nuvo 24 :)

These are in her 36'' long 30g. Plenty of swimming room for all these micro fishies. We pretty much have the same tank dims and as soon as i rehome my bastard Melanurus, i'm going a similar route with my new fish list. I love all the activity and pop of color she's getting over there!

Hey Felicia you hiding another nuvo 24 ova there :lol: tank hoarder :P

Thanks for clarifying, Eddie :) I have too many fish but so far they all seem happy and healthy and I'm not having any bioload/excess nutrient issues. You should definitely get some more colorful wrasses in your tank. Just get nice ones and not mean ones like the melanarus.

Yep, I'm hiding a Nuvo 24 over here and I didn't tell you. You upset at me? :P

Thanks for clarifying, Eddie :) I have too many fish but so far they all seem happy and healthy and I'm not having any bioload/excess nutrient issues. You should definitely get some more colorful wrasses in your tank. Just get nice ones and not mean ones like the melanarus.

Yep, I'm hiding a Nuvo 24 over here and I didn't tell you. You upset at me? :P

Nah, you have adequate filtration. Plus you assembled a nice peaceful community cast of characters. For added insurance, you definitely feed all those fatties well. That alone should curb any aggression that might have came up otherwise.

Yes this definitely calls for stiff consequences whip.gif

Cameron6796

... I was asking polar btw I already asked Felicia twice about her tank size.

Wait do you actually have a nuvo 24?

I'm so indecisive on an aio tank decision. I really want the CAD 34 mini but then there is tanks like the nuvo 24 that are long and would be better for more active fish. Yet the difference in length is only 6" oh man here I go again.

I'm so indecisive on an aio tank decision. I really want the CAD 34 mini but then there is tanks like the nuvo 24 that are long and would be better for more active fish. Yet the difference in length is only 6" oh man here I go again.

Oh i see. I forget she has alot of pretty wrasses in her tank too.

I have one of both. A cube and a longer tank. But imo go with the longer tank ftw! Cubes are cool but the extra scape options you get with a longer, plus it opens up a whole larger list of fish options because of the extra swimming space :)

Cameron6796

The Cad tank isn't a cube and Its cheaper but 6" shorter and a lot easier to light. Also its 10 "aio" gallons bigger and supports a better skimmer then the IM skimmers. Only problem my lfs carries neither of them. They said they can get me the cad and I'm definetly leaning towards the cad but ugh the three foot panoramic glass just gets me. Even the nuvo 16.

edit : my lfs has a CAD 18 gallon that's on sale for 250$ But I want something bigger... I think...

Nah, you have adequate filtration. Plus you assembled a nice peaceful community cast of characters. For added insurance, you definitely feed all those fatties well. That alone should curb any aggression that might have came up otherwise.

Yes this definitely calls for stiff consequences whip.gif

Yeah, so far so good over here with the fish. I feed too much. My fish are all obese. I need to put them on a diet :lol:

Uh oh, I got you cracking the whip huh, Eddie? ;)

Oh, gotcha! Yeah, polar has quite the fish list is that 24 gallon, but again, I swear its the 3 feet of length that makes all the difference. As long as your filtration is adequate, fish don't care about volume. They just care about swimming space and territory.

I'd definitely say go with the 3 foot tank. The CAD tanks are nice too but I just love the narrower panoramic look of a 3 foot tank that isn't very deep.

Oh i see. I forget she has alot of pretty wrasses in her tank too.

I have one of both. A cube and a longer tank. But imo go with the longer tank ftw! Cubes are cool but the extra scape options you get with a longer, plus it opens up a whole larger list of fish options because of the extra swimming space :)

This ^ :D

Unfortunately not great news on the babies. The first two did not survive past the second night. One was injured when it arrived and the other died of ich. Then the yellow watchman goby disappeared completely--it arrived with a torn mouth and I suspect it never ate. So 0 for 3 on my first try ordering fish. Vivid Aquariums honored their 2 week warranty and replaced the order. Even covered shipping. I thought that was really great customer service. The second set were healthier on arrival and have all survived a week so far. The yellow watchman this time is very shy and it's colors are not as vivid. I thought might be a pink spot goby since it's more a brownish cream color. Hopefully it colors up. The replacement babies are actually one male juvenile and one female this time. The male immediately ate almost the entire back fin of the female. I caught her and put her in a hospital crate to make sure she eats until she fully recovers. The male baby is pretty aggressive, so he'll be going to a new home. Crossing my fingers the female survives. She's eating so there is hope! :-)

Thats too bad! I'm so bummed to hear that. I was so excited about you having a harem of flasher wrasses. This is why having fish shipped makes me so nervous. Its so upsetting to lose new fish. I'm glad Vivid at least has good customer service and sent you replacements! Frustrating that they sent you a male though! Hopefully you can rehome him and get that female back to full healthy and at least have a pair of flasher wrasses. Also, it sounds like the YWG may be a female. I believe the females are a lot light colored, like more of a grey with a tint of yellow. They also lose all color when stressed, so it could color up. When I did the transfer a couple years back from my 10 gallon to the 30 gallon, my YWG turned completely white for a few days.

Cameron6796

A country song I don't know? Lol wait nvm I wasn't far in enough hah. That's awkward that I'm typing as I think things.

Great video, how much is the hogfish it's gorgeous

A country song I don't know? Lol wait nvm I wasn't far in enough hah. That's awkward that I'm typing as I think things.

Great video, how much is the hogfish it's gorgeous

:lol: The hogfish was $24 at Aquatic Collection.

Man you know how to score at Aquatic Collection! First your leopard wrasse and now the hogfish. Tank is looking great!

Oh wow lol I thought it would be way more expensive, either way it's worth it

I think it was cheaper because its soooo tiny. They said they never get them in that small.

Man you know how to score at Aquatic Collection! First your leopard wrasse and now the hogfish. Tank is looking great!

AC has great fish. My leopard however is from Baja Reefs, not AC. But my new hogfish and my flasher wrasse are both from AC and are very healthy,

I love the fish collection you have going. Gives me some great ideas to stock up my new big tank. :) Everything looks fantastic, and I love all the videos. The video in 879 with the hogfish, is that a monti on the rocks?

I love the fish collection you have going. Gives me some great ideas to stock up my new big tank. :) Everything looks fantastic, and I love all the videos. The video in 879 with the hogfish, is that a monti on the rocks?

Thanks! I'm really loving the stocking list this time around :) Some wrasses would definitely be awesome in that new big tank of yours. Maybe a harem of leopard wrasses? :)

Yeah, that's my ATL Fire Polyp Undata that is on the left hand rock. Its the only SPS left in the tank.

Archived