Coral Vue Hydros

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

Great video! You have TONS of movement now :). Do you leave the flow going when you feed? I always turn it off for the mandarin. Do you still have Podrick?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great video! You have TONS of movement now :). Do you leave the flow going when you feed? I always turn it off for the mandarin. Do you still have Podrick?

Yeah, there is a ton of movement with all the fish now! The 4 wrasses are always out and about, but then at feeding time the YWG and firefish come out of hiding and the 2 clowns come out of their nems, so it looks crazy in there. I don't turn off the flow for feeding since I like to have the food get distributed around the tank for all the fish and the nems and corals and such.

The only fish I had left when I transferred back into this tank were the YWG, firefish, and yellow coris wrasse.

Yeah, there is a ton of movement with all the fish now! The 4 wrasses are always out and about, but then at feeding time the YWG and firefish come out of hiding and the 2 clowns come out of their nems, so it looks crazy in there. I don't turn off the flow for feeding since I like to have the food get distributed around the tank for all the fish and the nems and corals and such.

The only fish I had left when I transferred back into this tank were the YWG, firefish, and yellow coris wrasse.

What do you feed your tank?

I didn't know you lost Pod. Sorry :(. If I end up losing my guy prematurely I won't replace him. They are too high maintenance of a fish. So far so good but he doesn't seem to be growing very much. They must be really slow growers.

What do you feed your tank?

I didn't know you lost Pod. Sorry :(. If I end up losing my guy prematurely I won't replace him. They are too high maintenance of a fish. So far so good but he doesn't seem to be growing very much. They must be really slow growers.

I'm feeding frozen mysis twice a day now. The leopard wrasse and hogfish have tiny mouths, so I feed either SF Bay Brand Mysis or Hikari Mini Mysis because those are both small varieties. Then for corals I feed Marine Snow every day and then every couple days I also add PhytoPlex and Coral Frenzy. Oh and I hand feed my anemones and a lot of my LPS mysis every other day.

Yeah mandarins are too high maintenance. I'm so over that! I was easy fish and all my fish right now are so easy.

Can you get live blackworms at any of your LFS? All of my fish love them. The new cardinals go bonkers for them. I do PE Mysis, blackworms, and cyclopeeze for the fish.

Felicia & Gena,

They have live black worms at Albany Aquarium. I bought some last week for my son's frog/ tadpole tank.

This is the same place that sells Mandrians that are eating frozen bloodworms.

Felicia,

Your tank looks great! Lots of color.

David

Felicia & Gena,

They have live black worms at Albany Aquarium. I bought some last week for my son's frog/ tadpole tank.

Felicia,

David

You should try feeding the blackworms to your fish too. They LOVE them :).

Felicia & Gena,

Felicia,

David

Thanks, David!

Can you get live blackworms at any of your LFS? All of my fish love them. The new cardinals go bonkers for them. I do PE Mysis, blackworms, and cyclopeeze for the fish.

I'm trying to avoid feeding the main tank anything too complicated like live food. I like that all my fish are super low maintenance. They all love frozen mysis and I have some seriously fat, happy fish right now. I feed them twice a day and you should see the bellies on them. I swear my little leopard wrasse is obese. Plus blackworms are super gross. Blah!

Ha,LOL! Well the black worms do not gross me out. But, it was a little weird to reach for their container

in the refridgerator and see the worms moving. Even my son thinks they are gross.

I bought the Firefish at Albany Aquarium and they recommended feeding him blood worms.

My clown fish is getting fat and happy eating them as well.

Thanks, David!

I'm trying to avoid feeding the main tank anything too complicated like live food. I like that all my fish are super low maintenance. They all love frozen mysis and I have some seriously fat, happy fish right now. I feed them twice a day and you should see the bellies on them. I swear my little leopard wrasse is obese. Plus blackworms are super gross. Blah!

Honestly, I think the live blackworms are easier than prepared or frozen foods. But the live part is a bit creepy. It doesn't really bother me though :).

Honestly, I think the live blackworms are easier than prepared or frozen foods. But the live part is a bit creepy. It doesn't really bother me though :).

I honestly just don't want to have to go pick up food regularly. I stock up on frozen and I'm good to go for a few months. Plus I can get the mysis I feed the main tank at Petco when I run in there to get Lily's food, so it makes my life easier. I do go pick up some live brine once in a while for the seahorses, but not very often.

Does the eshopps pf-nano overflow box work well for this size tank? I see its rated for 20 gallons so I'm just curious as this is the tank I want to use for a peninsula build

Does the eshopps pf-nano overflow box work well for this size tank? I see its rated for 20 gallons so I'm just curious as this is the tank I want to use for a peninsula build

Its been working great for me. I saw that it was rated for up to 20 gallons, but it was really cheap on Amazon at the time so I figured I'd give it a try instead of the PF-300. Its more than enough for my 30 gallon tank in my opinion.

So I have an actual update! I just bought a new light fixture for this tank :)

Unfortunately, the cheap drivers and potentiometers I used when I built my DIY LED fixture are starting to fail. Considering how cheap they were and that the fixture is 2.5 years old, I really can't complain. I've been debating for a few weeks now whether I wanted to rebuild the drivers and power supply on my current fixture or just buy a new prebuilt fixture. I want controllability for sunrise and sunset, so I was thinking about adding the Storm controller and nice Meanwell drivers and power supply to my current light. However, doing all of that would probably cost me around $300 in total, so that made me think it might be more worth it to just buy a prebuilt fixture for a bit more.

The only one that will cover a 36" tank that is currently in my budget is the 27" 160W Maxspect Razor, so I was considering that one. Now today, a bunch of the stores have the Maxspect fixtures 10% off, so I pulled the trigger. I ended up buying the 16k version from Premium Aquatics. I'll let you guys know what I think as soon as it gets here! I'll definitely be hanging it since I don't like the look of the legs on the tank.

Such a sexy, sleek fixture :)

CV-RAZ-12016_1.jpg

Hey girlfriend :). You'll be happy with that fixture!!!!! I've been thinking about playing with the colors a bit, maybe going more white than blue. Gradually of course.

Hey girlfriend :). You'll be happy with that fixture!!!!! I've been thinking about playing with the colors a bit, maybe going more white than blue. Gradually of course.

Hey! Sorry for the lack of updates. I had family in town for a week and then needed a week of recovery time, haha! I actually have turned my current fixture much more blue since I restarted the tank. With it being dominated by nems and LPS corals now, it definitely pops more under bluer light. Granted, I still can't go very blue before it just hurts my eyes, but I figured the 16k would be the better choice. I can turn it a bit more white than 16k if needed. I'm thinking I'll go for like 14k color temp.

Hey! Sorry for the lack of updates. I had family in town for a week and then needed a week of recovery time, haha! I actually have turned my current fixture much more blue since I restarted the tank. With it being dominated by nems and LPS corals now, it definitely pops more under bluer light. Granted, I still can't go very blue before it just hurts my eyes, but I figured the 16k would be the better choice. I can turn it a bit more white than 16k if needed. I'm thinking I'll go for like 14k color temp.

I forget who's but I was looking at someone's tank this morning and really liking the more white light. It looked so natural. So that's what got me thinking about changing mine.

I forget who's but I was looking at someone's tank this morning and really liking the more white light. It looked so natural. So that's what got me thinking about changing mine.

I keep the light on my seahorse tank much more white. Right at 10K :)

I keep the light on my seahorse tank much more white. Right at 10K :)

Maybe that's what I will go for :). Something different just to see how things look. I'm also kinda afraid to change things in case the corals don't react well to the change. But if I go very slowly it should be okay. Like maybe do a 1 or 2% change every week. That should be pretty slow.

potentiometers

:huh:

Only English in this forum please :P

JqS6luU.gif

Such a sexy, sleek fixture :)

CV-RAZ-12016_1.jpg

Ok now that language i speak! Dat light! Sexy!!! Didnt think it was possible for this aquarium to get any hotter, congrats!!

Maybe that's what I will go for :). Something different just to see how things look. I'm also kinda afraid to change things in case the corals don't react well to the change. But if I go very slowly it should be okay. Like maybe do a 1 or 2% change every week. That should be pretty slow.

Yeah, just change it slowly and you should be just fine :)

:huh:

Only English in this forum please :P

JqS6luU.gif

Ok now that language i speak! Dat light! Sexy!!! Didnt think it was possible for this aquarium to get any hotter, congrats!!

You're too funny. Potentiometers are the little knobs that let you manually dim LEDs. They're a knob instead of a programmable controller.

Now I'm impatient and want it now! ;) I always hate waiting on shipping. The Razors are such sleek fixtures. Can't beat the cost either. $459 for a nice prebuilt fixture to power a 36" long tank.

Archived