Innovative Marine Aquariums

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

With the toadstool does it look like a skin shedding off? If so, that's normal and it should open soon. You can try gently blowing it off with a turkey baster to help it out. Real gently though, not a blast of water just in case it's something else going on with it (melting).

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SquishyFishy

Yes, that's it. The current is blowing it off pretty good but I'll try. It doesn't look like its melting, just looks like a film of some sort that it's shedding. I think from now on it'll be strictly WYSIWYG for me.

I know for me the frogspawn took a little while to color up but the color that they advertise many times is that under more blue light than white so that makes a difference.

SquishyFishy

I've got my blues on with the white, but there are only 2 diodes. the others mostly white...I'm working on light upgrade, hope to get a par 38 bulb in the near future. I cannot afford one of the expensive lights like Dave makes yet. I want my corals to pop, but I prefer the mix of colors with white rather than all blue moonlight look.

With this outfit, I have my suspicions that they use a fancy photo with perfect lighting and they are years old. Nowhere near what they send you. I have learned a good lesson though. I think Reef Gardener is going to be my preferred online source. I think I can trust her.

SquishyFishy

Here are 2 newer pics of them...as you can see, the toadstool is starting to open up,

20140315_151446-XL.jpg

And the frogspawn is about the same:

20140315_151507-XL.jpg

blues only:

20140315_152139-XL.jpg

There is some green underneath.

Yes, that's it. The current is blowing it off pretty good but I'll try. It doesn't look like its melting, just looks like a film of some sort that it's shedding. I think from now on it'll be strictly WYSIWYG for me.

That's great then. Sounds perfectly normal :).

I've got my blues on with the white, but there are only 2 diodes. the others mostly white...I'm working on light upgrade, hope to get a par 38 bulb in the near future. I cannot afford one of the expensive lights like Dave makes yet. I want my corals to pop, but I prefer the mix of colors with white rather than all blue moonlight look.

With this outfit, I have my suspicions that they use a fancy photo with perfect lighting and they are years old. Nowhere near what they send you. I have learned a good lesson though. I think Reef Gardener is going to be my preferred online source. I think I can trust her.

I seem to remember reading bad things about that company. The name AquaCON strikes a chord with me. Definitely order with Reef Gardener. You can't go wrong with her corals :).

Here are 2 newer pics of them...as you can see, the toadstool is starting to open up,

20140315_151446-XL.jpg

And the frogspawn is about the same:

20140315_151507-XL.jpg

blues only:

20140315_152139-XL.jpg

There is some green underneath.

They look good!!!!
SquishyFishy

Good...if you say so! My light upgrade will definitely be a priority for next month. I budget $$ every month. Unless I take Todd with me to the LFS...he is a pushover!

Good...if you say so! My light upgrade will definitely be a priority for next month. I budget $$ every month. Unless I take Todd with me to the LFS...he is a pushover!

You are lucky you have someone to go to the LFS with. Neither my husband nor my son are interested LOL.

SquishyFishy

He's the reason we have Houdini in the first place. He took one look and said "You don't want the Gramma?"

He just insisted I spend more than I wanted to with this order! He's da best one! I am a lucky lady!

He is as fascinated with the new tank as I am, didn't expect that...but he loves it! He's my best fwend!

SquishyFishy

Great shot, couldn't get Houdini to sit still long enough to get a shot. They must be twins :lol: This is the best I could do:

Baby-L.jpg

Don't know much about photographing these tanks either....we have a Nikon 3100 but no macro lens...what do you use? Hope you don't mind me using this one until I learn???

If your light has an option to only light whites then take a pic under that, I have to turn mine off to take some non-blue looking pics. To another person I suggested putting tape temporarily over the blue ones. Then the pics turn out more normal and less blue tinge.

SquishyFishy

I have tried but couldn't get a clear shot...he's a pistol! My Note phone takes pretty good pics but can't seem to do a good focus going through the glass. Todd is working on the Nikon reading up on it.

But I really need a Nanobox. Been talking with Dave...now to just save enough money to get one. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

This is too funny....my Green Clown Goby has now decided he needs to host my cloves:

20140405_100400-XL.jpg

He's in there now almost constantly having abandoned his cave except for sleeping...so cute!

This is too funny....my Green Clown Goby has now decided he needs to host my cloves:

20140405_100400-XL.jpg

He's in there now almost constantly having abandoned his cave except for sleeping...so cute!

I like that his green echoes the clove polyp green. Nice home.

I love GCGs...one of my favorite fish of all time. Who'd a thunk when I bought it. I always thought they were kind of ugly, but what a fish. Tons of personality and even kinda cute :lol:.

SquishyFishy

Yes, hes finally settled in pretty good, coming out of the rock all the time even in front, he was painfully shy at first B)

I put the toadstool by himself on a single rock so he'd have room. He came attached to several pieces of rubble, how his foot is mainly on my rock, so I'm trying to encourage him to let go the eggo...errrr rock. I've tried tickling with a bamboo skewer and an ice cube, but he just retracted the foot and latched on even harder....wish he'd let go of it, its tacky!

SquishyFishy

It took him a long time to overcome his shyness and he still mostly stays in his cave but he is quickly becoming one of my faves. All you have to do to get him to come out is feed him. But he's still lightening fast. He has grown a little too, he was teensy when I got him.

• 1 month later...

Archived