ReefCleaners.org

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

Well its in the tank and everybody is extremely curious, Gramma coming out to investigate in spite of the jerk, jerk is extremely suspicious of it, clown is likely to be the first one in, he's the most curious. Have fed the trap and will just wait, but my bottle fix will have to be cut up if more than the chromis gets in, there's no trap door, just the bottle neck.

If this doesn't work, I'll just have to go buy one, they are online but diggety they're expensive.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a day, if you didn't read the commentary on the general discussion board, I spent all day trying to trap the d---n Chromis and failed, finally we took out the rocks, ssooooooooo traumatic! I was petrified I'd kill someone when I really wanted to kill the Chromis. The tank is a snow storm, everyone is stressed to the max and the Chromis is back with the LFS...good riddance.

Just goes to show just how important fish choices can be.

I am recovering with the help of Robert Mondavi!!

How are the fish you ask....the clown and the Gramma are out and about but I have not located my Green clown Goby. We finally located Peppermint Patti (shrimp) and she seems O.K. I hope I didn't trap him under a rock...I cried for 30 minutes after the procedure...not funny! I am buying the fish trap immediately in case I have to catch a sicky some day. I'm telling you I do not want to repeat this.

I bet it was more traumatic for you then the tank. :grouphug:

I've learned over the years, if you can easily remove the rocks, just bite the bullet and do it. I would totally do it for my HH crab I'm trying to catch, but it would destroy my monticap to do it :(.

Anyways....glad you got through it and the meanie fish is out :).

Thanks Gena...yes I'm sure I was the basket case of the day. This morning the tank is sooooo quiet and the Gramma is swimming all over out in the open...looks like it definitely was the Chromis that was stressing the tank out. Even the little Goby is much more visable and in the long run, I like my rock better, I could not get it exactly back so its' slightly different but more space, I took a big piece out for good.

My main stress is I knew some of them were inside the bigger pieces and I could not take them completely out...Todd stood there with both hands full and still in the water while I netted the demon.

We are all so much happier and my LFS is giving me credit towards a black/white clown when he gets them in next Saturday. Solo was such a good boy, he's still my favorite, just bobbing up and down and enjoying life :P

Thanks Gena...yes I'm sure I was the basket case of the day. This morning the tank is sooooo quiet and the Gramma is swimming all over out in the open...looks like it definitely was the Chromis that was stressing the tank out. Even the little Goby is much more visable and in the long run, I like my rock better, I could not get it exactly back so its' slightly different but more space, I took a big piece out for good.

My main stress is I knew some of them were inside the bigger pieces and I could not take them completely out...Todd stood there with both hands full and still in the water while I netted the demon.

We are all so much happier and my LFS is giving me credit towards a black/white clown when he gets them in next Saturday. Solo was such a good boy, he's still my favorite, just bobbing up and down and enjoying life :P

I've been there...that's why I recommended just removing the rocks. I'm still trying to catch my darn HH crab. I would pull the rocks in a heartbeat if I could.

I'm glad it all worked out so well for you and the gramma can come out now :).

I found aiptasia! I need to go get the X, looking at lasers too. I think that is why my little Pom Pom had its heads hanging down...the pest must've come in on the rock they are on cuz there was one on it, I smushed it and wrapped it around my bamboo skewer and took it out, but I know that was the wrong way, still it got rid of it immediately, I think it was stinging them. I noticed another in a tiny hole in my rock too, the tentacles stretched almost 2 inches long at times!

The coralline is coming on like gangbusters, it's all over the rocks in pen sized to pencil eraser size patches...must've done something right! I think it was a good thing to put the shell and little rock with the stuff all over them in, when I did the rock.

:D I am way too attentive to my tank, I know I am standing in front of it with my magnifying glasses on all the time. I must look like a real dork!

Aptasia is so stubborn, in this one spot I've alternated between Aptasia Rx and hot lemon juice (microwaved the plastic syringe) and it still returns in this crevice. I have like 3 places, looks gone for the moment but then always returns. A grenade is next.

I've heard Lasers may melt the aptasia away however they will come back and may spread spores to other parts of the tank. Fun idea tho for sure. I'd suggest trying to trap it in superglue first.

Wow! Out of nowhere come pods! I didn't put any in there that I know of!!! Do they just appear out of thin water :rolleyes:

They're crawling all over the glass!!!

Wow! Out of nowhere come pods! I didn't put any in there that I know of!!! Do they just appear out of thin water :rolleyes:

They're crawling all over the glass!!!

I had them too, just come w/ the live rock, it's live in many ways you don't know yet, things just appear. And like every 6 wks there's be a growth of pods again when apparently they were breeding.

Your name is such a win, I swear it.

In regards to your question for test kits... All you really need is magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity, preferably Salifert (quite pricey though). I haven't read the rest of the thread, so basically you only need those tests if you're going for SPS or if your tank is absolutely packed with corals, it's not really necessary for softies and LPS in such a small tank.

Thank you kindly!

I don't think I want to try the SPS just yet, in fact there are more LPS I admire and I'm fascinated by the Maxi Mini Nems right now. I think I want some of those Tonga ones. Or just one really colorful one of those. And don't beat me, but I love clove polyps, any of the different colored ones, they are so pretty swaying in the current and are so easy. Anyways, I ordered the Red Sea test kit for the minerals you mentioned. I can afford it. Thanks for the suggestions and the complement. :D

1stime-I love that part of reefing....just watching and examining every little nook and cranny for new stuff!

Question??? For the last several days my new Zoanthids, I thank they are bambams, have not looked happy, the largest polyps have stayed closed, partially closed or closed up early in the day...the smaller ones not so much. What am I doing, WC yesterday and the params are absolutely perfect. You think the 2 hermits are pestering them. I never see this, but have read about it??? PH is good too at 8.2, salt 1.024

I dosed with Kent Essentials and Iodine today.

Off to read the Zoies thread

Is that picture when you first got them? They look ok to me. If they are closed all the time, I'd be concerned. Could be a lighting issue. Try moving them and see what happens.

Into a shadowy place right? Yes, this was the first day. One or two at least now are closing around 5 in the afternoon, about 10 hours of light by then. I don't usually moon light the tank until around 6 and then turn lights off at 9...too much light cycle?

Thanks mucho! I wanted to know the name! I have moved them into a shadowed spot, we'll see.

Oh yeah, whammin watermelons. An oldy but goody :).

I am super in love with Morgan's Maxi Minis! I am going to order as soon as she gets another shipment of those babies!

Morgan is my absolute favorite person to buy from. I want to place another order with her again soon. She has an amazing selection of beautiful corals :).

No kidding........I wanted to place an order and every time I'd click on one I wanted it would be gone! So frustrating! So I've emailed her to let me know the next shipment when it comes in. This time, I'm going to jump on it!

SquishyFishy

Picked up Chewy today, the black/white Ocellaris Clown and he and Solo are starting to get along....I think they'll be fine, plenty of tussle as they size each other up. Solo doesn't like him over in the corner in which Solo makes his digs. Have to wait a couple months to introduce them to a RBTA. I know we'll probably have to rename one of them femininely. Guess Chewy will turn into Leia! Also got a cleaner shrimp, we'll call him Jacques. What a difference these 2 have made to the tank's personality. Now everybody is out to swim in the water column, even Houdini is out and about (that's the Gramma) and our green clown goby, Doc.

Happy tank!

Archived