Innovative Marine Aquariums

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

Since you are done with the cycle you can just test weekly. Or, every other day after adding a new addition if you are really curious about what's going on. I like those little suction cup ammonia alert indicators when I set up a new tank. Makes life easy. No need to constantly test the tank...just keep an eye on the ammonia thingy :). Some people do enjoy testing...me not so much lol.

For iodine and magnesium I use Salifert.

Here's the ammonia alert thing I was talking about.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Laboratories_Ammonia_Alert_Ammonia_Test_Kits_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Seachem-SC4111-FITKAM-vi.html

I use it on every new tank.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my CUC in, the hair was just starting and man those things went to town!!!! I wish now I had taken a before and after pic....WOW!

I picked up a blue green chromis today....he is happily buddied up to Solo, we call him Streak, man can he take off! And change direction in a millisecond.

Params are still perfect. I plan on going in to another LFS that has great coral next week.

Going tomorrow (hours drive) to an LFS on the far side of San Antonio that has really good stuff to get a Pom Pom Xenia. I feel like that as a first purchase will make a greater impact on the appearance of the tank...lots of movement etc. May get an additional small frag of something soft.

Boy these snails have whitened up all my rock again....will they retard the coralline? I have one little rock now with it on it hoping it will seed the rest. As per these boards I don't think Purple Up is a valid way to get coralline even with the good reviews on it. Chime in if you want to on that one....if I could just find a pile of it around some LFS I'd buy the stuff.

my small one polyp/head green mushroom is all folded in on itself and the foot is producing prodigious amounts of slimy filaments, is it melting????? What's wrong is it dead?

Water Temp 78.2

PH-8.0

SW-1.024

trites/trates both 0

ammonia-0

Stock lighting led came with Nuvo

I have not gotten trace elements testing yet, but I was about to get another coral, maybe I'm not ready for coral yet????

OMG could it have been a snail? This just happened today and the snails have been in since Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Returned from my first vacation away from the tank...daughter came once during the 4 days to feed....tank params still perfect, everybody is happy and eating, but water is a little cloudy. I dosed with Dr. Tim's ReFresh.

This morning water is still cloudy after a top off. Haven't done a WC in 2.5 weeks. Is it time? Didn't' want to bother the tank since it is still maturing. My LFS guru suggested this so I could begin to acquire the coral. What do you think?

Hope somebody out there has their ears on.....I think I see the beginnings of coralline on my rocks...

New%20Coralline%20Feb%2015th-M.jpg

Is it????? It's not red it looks purple. They just started appearing today. And I found the wayward mushroom that had the filament mushy stuff, he is moving all over the back of the rock in the shade but he's alive! And looks bigger too! He must not have liked my lights.

Also bought the first coral clove polyps, figured I'd start easy and it loves it in there!! Now I know why acquiring coral can be addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!

coralline is most often lavender, purple, and red. When I have some that's starting, it sometimes starts out hot pink and then it grows to purple.

I'm glad your mushroom is ok! Looks like coralline algae. As long as it's not fuzzy, it probably is.

Awesome on the clove polyps!!!! What color did you get?

Finally finished my canapy...which I feel is adequate but could've been a little cleaner, I got it a little long, but fortunately the cord for the wave head fits out of the gap there nicely and nobody can jump out:

http://asicit.smugmug.com/Aquarium/i-wD9Vtk8/A'>tank%20002-M.jpg

The little Gramma is such a baby (about 3/4 of an inch) and really frightened of the tank. He disappeared right after he entered and this morning I couldn't find him..sniff! But finally I found his hidy hole...he is residing with the green clown goby in a little cave in the rock, they must be buds! I spot fed some mysis back there as I am worried that he won't eat if he doesn't come out. But the fact that he's not swimming out in the water column is daunting...guess he's just getting acclimated.

http://asicit.smugmug.com/Aquarium/i-H79C93d/A'>tank%20001-M.jpg

another shot

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3077622632_shjZPMs?width=640&height=360&albumId=37054810&albumKey=GbFX2x"></iframe>

Hope you can play this video

Awesome shot of the gramma. Such a pretty fish. That fish eludes me. I tried one with my very first reef tank. I already had 2 clowns and I added the royal gramma. It was dead the next morning. I was traumatized by it and never tried another since LOL.

I don't think the video works. It didn't play for me, but I'm not on my usual computer. This one is slower so it could just be my computer. Maybe someone else can confirm that. :)

Gena it plays for me if I just click on the link underlined.

I went to the fish forum and read all the entries on him and I guess he is behaving normally...but I hope he's one of those that is more sociable....he cost me $39! The Chromis is a pill and pestered the other Chromis until he died so I'm hoping he won't bother the Gramma. But he has a very good hidy hole to escape to...hope he makes it or I will never pay that much for another fish!

I got the vid to work as well.

And Squishy, don't say stuff like that.

I've paid well over $100 on four fish I only ever caught glimpses of... still no regrets :)

We're talking a real skinflint here, I think a good price for fish should be...oh around 15! LOL He is still hiding but will come a little way out of the rock on occasion. Wish he would come up for food so I could get a real look at him, but he's still such a baby, maybe he'll grow out of it!

I put this on the general discussion forum, but I'll repeat it here...

My green Chromis is trying to murder the new Royal Gramma!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I practically deconstructed the upper part of the tank trying to catch him but he's too slick. He's so outa there when I do and back to the LFS! But I have to devise some strategy to catch him, he's dang fast and smart too. Is there some trap or something?????

HELP. I have already stressed the whole tank this morning so I'm gonna let it detox and then I will try again. Maybe I can get him into a QT box with food or something...any ideas?????????? Fortunately the Gramma has a hidy hole that he can retreat to but who knows how long...and he won't come out with the CRIMINAL around!

Little stinker!

Just pull all your rocks out. It's a PITA, but you don't have a lot of coral yet. So much easier than waiting on catching it with a trap. And it won't hurt anything to do this, just cloud up your water a bit from the sand. The corals will totally recover from it.

UGHHHHHHHHHH! Tell me it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!! The rock fits together JUST SO with pegs and sits on eggcrate so it won't be quite as hard as some people's might be, but UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm afraid someone might be inside the rocks, guess I'll have to fix up a tank for it.

I think I'll try this thing since I took the time to make it. I'm attaching it to the side of the tank with my Hydor 240 magnets so it stay up in the water so I can feed it through the little hole I made. We'll see, if this doesn't work I'll pull them.

Archived