Innovative Marine Aquariums

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

SquishyFishy

I know clowns are goofy, but Solo is really being nasty to the new Chewy. And he's doing a weird display, shaking his whole body in front of Chewy, quivering sort of thing. I assume its a dominance issue but I do know Solo is trying to defend his territory. Hope they can work this out don't want him stressing the new clown and then everybody gets ich or something.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's a quivering shaky dance thing that they'll figure out who's she and who's he. Imagine how it'd be if people did it that way, they'd be twerking all over the place!!! That whole change sex thing is weird but cool.

SquishyFishy

Too funky!

Well they are buds now, no more of that, and they seem happy to hang together...however, I found a little nip on Chewy's gill, I was panicked that it was ich, but with the magnifying glass, it's a little tear wound. Do you do anything about that? I have no other tank to isolate him in short of my WC container, but I guess I could put him in there. But wouldn't it have to be cycled too??? Logic tells me nature will take care of it, but I did just pay $40 for this fish!!

He is eating ravenously and seems happy as a clam...LOL!

SquishyFishy

Calling all ID geeks...what is this???? It just appeared this morning...it looks like a feeding tube coming out of some sort of coral head...what do you think:

Untitled-M.png

Calling all ID geeks...what is this???? It just appeared this morning...it looks like a feeding tube coming out of some sort of coral head...what do you think:

Untitled-M.png

Have you seen any tentacles extending from it? I know I've seen something like that before, but the ID of it escapes me. Is it hard, not squishy?
SquishyFishy

Don't know if it's squishy or not, but I see the end of the tube moving, fluttering....soooo curious!!! I even thought I saw it gather in a particle...I have 3X magnifying glasses and I inspect everything in the tank each morning so I see a lot!

SquishyFishy

Just gone through, for the second time, all the TOTM threads and FTS threads...

What I love about it all, is there is no limit to the imagination in this hobby. Someday, I am going to build a tank that no one has ever seen before....I swear it. After several years of learning of course. I am enthralled at some of the innovative ideas of reefers on here...absolutely awesome.....I solute you!!! B)

SquishyFishy

Wow sometimes I just feel as though I'm talking to myself around here....unless I have a specific question and post it appropriately, nobody responds. Oh well, guess I'll continue talking for a while longer before I give up on this forum.

Made my first online purchase today:

Frogspawn

Red Finger and Blueberry Gorgonia

Before I get chastised for getting the NPS, I've read a lot and am willing to pay the piper if I jumped the gun on them. Ready to feed all the necessary foods....should arrive by Friday or Monday at the latest. Have adjusted the Hydor 240 to flow around the outside perimeter of the tank, the Xenia and Clove Polyp don't look too happy but I know its a must with the Gorgonia so I felt I had to break in the tank with the extra flo....Jaques (cleaner) doesn't seem to pleased either, guess he gets blown around a little. Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks

Here's the latest FTS:

Just out of curiosity. Are you using the glass top for this tank? and if so, what is your maintenance routine for keeping it clean? I ended up removing mine bc of the condensation, as a result my 4 year old clownfish decided to take a jump after staying in the tank without a cover for about 3 weeks

SquishyFishy

tank shot20140312_114436-XL.jpg

Just out of curiosity. Are you using the glass top for this tank? and if so, what is your maintenance routine for keeping it clean? I ended up removing mine bc of the condensation, as a result my 4 year old clownfish decided to take a jump after staying in the tank without a cover for about 3 weeks

Back on page 4 post #90....I made a screen for the tank, don't use the glass except on very cold days or when we're gone on a trip to help with evaporation. It was pretty easy when I figured out what stuff to get to make it. Nothing has ended up out of the tank, but snails and sometimes they force their selves over the edge!

Sorry to hear about your clown, that would really bum me out! I just let it run with the condensation, you just can't keep it from looking nasty with salt creep.

SquishyFishy

Thanks guys, you both made my day. And in reading njasmine's thread I finally figured out how to do a sig. Yippee

Gena, you know Gorgonias, I've ordered 2 NPS ones and am wondering about the flow. I've got the Hydor 240 pointed so it makes a current top of the tank and goes around the perimeter. Will that give them enough flow, I plan on putting them in each corner.

Thanks guys, you both made my day. And in reading njasmine's thread I finally figured out how to do a sig. Yippee

Gena, you know Gorgonias, I've ordered 2 NPS ones and am wondering about the flow. I've got the Hydor 240 pointed so it makes a current top of the tank and goes around the perimeter. Will that give them enough flow, I plan on putting them in each corner.

Great sig, Becci :)

Looks like you'll have plenty of flow. I think the hardest part will be getting that blueberry gorg enough food throughout the day. Even the experts have trouble keeping them long term. Those that do, have food on a continuous drip throughout the day. They sure are pretty though :).

SquishyFishy

Well unless we go on a cruise, which we do about 2x a year, I am always here, retired and loving my constant reef observations...so I can handle that, but on a week long cruise I may have to look into the dosing feeding. Where might I find that info???

SquishyFishy

I just talked to the people (the tech) at AquaCon and he told me there should be no problems....he collects these deep water Gorgs and he said all they need is flow and snow or phyto fed each day and can go 3 or 4 days without any. He said he would not let me have them if he thought it would be a problem. I called to change out the Gorgs for a toadstool and some polyps because those would cost exactly the same as my credit card charge. After talking to him, I feel better so I allowed him to ship the original order....hope I haven't made a mistake. He said he never had to do a drip feeding, just feed the tank with snow like I do already. I probably even overfeed that. Sometimes I skip a day, but I have been supplemental feeding a half a capful along with my usual mysis quarter cube.

They threw in a purple urchin to be nice! it gets to 2" so should be a fun critter. May have to supplement his diet with some weed..LOL. I am so anal about algae in the tank there just isn't much, just on the rock. I now have pond matrix running and just ordered Phosban and a small reactor.

Am I being TOO anal???

Super CatPig

Untitled-M.png

I might be seeing it wrong but it looks like I'm looking at a vermatid snail. Does a white silk-like string come from it when you feed your tank? I have them in one of my tanks. I used to try to rid myself of them until reading this article.

Looking forward to a pic down the line of your blueberry gorgonian. My 2nd cousin has one and hasn't had it for too long yet but it's absolutely gorgeous. And of course you'll love the red finger gorg, so far that one hasn't been an issue for me. It's just busting w/ polyps, the yellow is coming along. Weird thing is they seem to trade on/off, like right now the red is completely full while the yellow has no polyps showing, in a couple hours it'll probably be reversed, I don't know why. And frogspawn don't like direct flow on them but w/ the way you have it placed that doesn't seem like you'll have an issue.

It takes a while for folks to notice your thread sometimes. You get in a rut sometimes and I even forgot about looking at other or new posts because I'm so busy reading others. Mine is the last I'll catch up on actually. I'll read everyone else's first. And in general I think it takes a while to get to know someone's personality and "tank personality" - how they work with their aquarium.

I just talked to the people (the tech) at AquaCon and he told me there should be no problems....he collects these deep water Gorgs and he said all they need is flow and snow or phyto fed each day and can go 3 or 4 days without any. He said he would not let me have them if he thought it would be a problem. I called to change out the Gorgs for a toadstool and some polyps because those would cost exactly the same as my credit card charge. After talking to him, I feel better so I allowed him to ship the original order....hope I haven't made a mistake. He said he never had to do a drip feeding, just feed the tank with snow like I do already. I probably even overfeed that. Sometimes I skip a day, but I have been supplemental feeding a half a capful along with my usual mysis quarter cube.

They threw in a purple urchin to be nice! it gets to 2" so should be a fun critter. May have to supplement his diet with some weed..LOL. I am so anal about algae in the tank there just isn't much, just on the rock. I now have pond matrix running and just ordered Phosban and a small reactor.

Am I being TOO anal???

I'll definitely be watching closely to see if it is really as easy as AquaCon says, for you to take care of. I hope it is fingerscrossed.
SquishyFishy

Thank you kindly....comin along....my budget will only allow so much each month! But some day......

Gena Me too...I have my reservations, but he was pretty convincing. In the meantime, I'll be reading everything I can get my eyes on.

Cat Pig Yes, I noticed a thread coming from it!!!!!!!!!!!!

SquishyFishy

1stimer: I'm trying to quote but it won't do it!

Hope I didn't come off as a whiner! I'm used to the boards on my cruising blogs and it's almost immediate responses...sorry.

I noticed your new Gorgs. Well, we all learn from trying so guess this will be a learning experience for me. I love the look of them though like the real Ocean. We dive, my hubby and I love the Ocean.

1stimer: I'm trying to quote but it won't do it!

Hope I didn't come off as a whiner! I'm used to the boards on my cruising blogs and it's almost immediate responses...sorry.

I noticed your new Gorgs. Well, we all learn from trying so guess this will be a learning experience for me. I love the look of them though like the real Ocean. We dive, my hubby and I love the Ocean.

No, no , you didn't come off as a whiner. I want a cruising blog! I need to cruise first! But I will whine if you don't show us some diving pics :lol: Would love to see them. :) That is on my bucket list since my husband passed in 2012 :( - made me think of things I need to do before I go- scuba diving (or just seeing) the Great Barrier Reef (or anywhere fantastic really). This hobby really has helped me try to move on. Keeps my mind active.

SquishyFishy

I feel your pain, just lost my Dad this past Nov.

I'll see what I can scrounge up for dive pics.

Grab a friend and book a cruise, we are addicted to it, We've done 17 cruises in the last 10 years. 2 of them were diving cruises...we dove in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

This is a tarpon we swam with in Bonaire we did a dive vacation there, loved those tarpon:

P7170411-XL.jpg

Archived