Cultivated Reef

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SquishyFishy

Nano%203-XL.jpgAfter only 3 hours, my Zoas are poppin like crazy and all 20 heads open at one time...they must love it! They haven't been this happy in weeks. Nem is happy and puffed up like a peacock! Hope The purple coralline starts to grow because of the Duo!

Never dreamed I would see such fast results...WOW!

SquishyFishy

Getting an order in Friday from Reef Gardner...did I already mention that? Getting a Ultra Blue sponge, a combo red/green Monti Cap and some rics...can't wait, Ninja promises I will need sunglasses!

Getting an order in Friday from Reef Gardner...did I already mention that? Getting a Ultra Blue sponge, a combo red/green Monti Cap and some rics...can't wait, Ninja promises I will need sunglasses!

Always fun to get orders in! I'm curious to see the Ultra Blue Sponge!

Nice!

FTS!!!! omgomgomg

SquishyFishy

Annette I'm going to convert my 4 gal. pico to salt soon and I think I want a couple of rock flower or maxi minis in there and I want to feature anemone shrimp and a porcelain crab....what do you guys think about that...or should I try gorgs in there too??

Man am I lovin this light!!!!!!!!!! We just sit and stare at the clouds and lightening!

Sounds like a great idea. You can also do a small gorg in there as well. Ninjamyst recently bought many maxi mins, ask him about that. I do know that maxi minis move around more. They'll go even to the back of the tank if you want to. My friend has one and while the one upfront gets well fed, the one on the back side does not. They respond much more quickly to food when placed on the tentacles. I was amazed how fast- I tank set for my friend. Rock flowers are very gently about it. Maxi mins act really fast. They're both very colorful.

SquishyFishy

Can you keep them together, just a couple, maybe a rock and a maxi mini? Then I just want the shrimp/crab to scamper about on them.

I don't see why you couldn't have both I just don't know if they'd fight or play nice since they are different species of invertebrates

SquishyFishy

New coral and Macro from Reef Gardener:

3 new Ricordia

Dragon's Breath Macro

Wall Hammer

Monti combo red/green (hope to start a swirling piece like your's Kat! Or was that Gena's Monti combo???

new-XL.jpg

coral3-XL.jpg

new%20coral%202-XL.jpg

new%20coral-XL.jpg

Sorry for the lack of quality, I need to change the settings to get the color right, will try to correct later. Morgan's stuff is fantastic and they all made it with no trouble at all. I'll be ordering from her again, there is around several 100's of dollars of her stuff I could use :wub:

SquishyFishy

Finally got an emerald crab to help with the algae I'm starting to accumulate and boy did he go to town...and molted within 2 days of getting him. He has cleaned off the biggest rock in the tank in no time! Woohoo.....now if I can just keep him off my leather! He went there to molt and I looked at his cast off and thought I had a second crab clinging to the leather...leather was not happy about that. So I picked it off and sent it to Davey Jones.

SquishyFishy

Bubba: big and bad crab, is really a blessing but in some instances a big bully! He is clearing my rock of all the little clear sponges and teensy white baby snails that have plagued me but he has knocked down numerous corals and has just about killed my little clove polyp flowers, they have been face down in the gravel on several occasions and boy that really makes them shrink.

But I gotta cut him some slack cuz he's doing such a good job on the rock. I wish he'd try the GHA that is accumulating on the shafts of the other cloves That is getting outa hand along with some red bubble algae...I know ...but my API tests says nothing is wrong with my water and I do WC every week like you gals recommended...I have also cut back on the light time and pulled it like weeds with my fingers and all kinds of instruments...it is relentless! But at least its just there and not on the rock.

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Made it back to a pretty clean happy tank from our 6 day vaca. Little algae on the glass but not bad.

The silly neon ric decided to dis-attach him self from his frag and partner and then I found him floating around the tank in a little ball. Can't seem to see a way to open him so I can re-glue his foot. How do you do that?????

The treatment I did with the baking soda/peroxide on the clove polyps worked great almost all gone, maybe one more treatment.

Thank you Reef community!

FlowerMama

put some rubble in a little glass w/ the ric on there & hope he attaches. Cover the top w/ some mesh or something. I've never had the best luck w/ rics. Definitely ask Ninjamist, he's always done really well w/them.

Reef Goddess

If you keep your leather in an area with good flow it will stay open better. Most people think they like low flow, but leather corals actually like strong flow and good light to stay polyped out all the time. Your tank is coming along nicely.

Hi Gena and 1stimereefer! B)

SquishyFishy

Ric has not attached yet, but at least he stays in the glass.

Picked another GSP rock big colony of pink and green. And my first torch, purple with gold tips. They threw in a lovely neon green shroom.

My first attempt at a DIY coke bottle skimmer failed! Never collected any skimmate. Bout to give up on it.

Steensj2004

Squishy, you might wanna look at some of the Meme style skimmers. I built one out of an 8.00 gravel vac, some Tubing, Airline, and an airpump running some Wooden Air Diffusers. Worked really well, I have since taken it out in lue of having the Ghost skimmer. Yourube has lots of good videos, one can be built for about 30.00 if you buy everything.

SquishyFishy

Thnx but I did just that and never could get the thing to work. My new AquaticLife skimmer is due here today and for $50 seemed the best deal around and it has great reviews. After some modification it should fit the fuge.

Now to try to use the same equipment as a Kalk drip system. Maybe all the stuff will work better for that....hope so.

I have a hard time dialing my Aquaticlife skimmer (use the hangar, the suction cups will only last a couple mos). The most I get is tea colored, I'd like it thicker but oh well, it's still doing what it needs to do for my 20g tank for Gertie, my mantis. I forgot to do the mod on it and it is noisier. The modded one in my 34 makes no noise at all.

I need to take it out of Gertie's home and do the easy mod., maybe this weekend.

famousdan314

How the green clown goby doing? I've been thinking about getting one but heard they nip at sps corals. I currently have a midas blenny I'm trying to rehome because of the same reason.

SquishyFishy

tank%20aug%2014%20001-XL.jpgtank%20august%202014-XL.jpgO.k. here goes, but keep in mind, I lost my beautiful clove polyps, the other neon flower polyps, both varieties. One to GHA and red hair stuff and the other the new emerald crab dumped over on their faces several times and after that they just went downhill...it was sad cuz they were my favorite! This sucks...my iphone just doesn't seem to capture what I see!!! It's way whiter than this. And the colors are there. Guess I will have to break out the Nikon.

Top one is better with the Nikon.

I like what you have going here! Sorry to hear you had losses too with your coral. I just lost a rock flower today (after one a couple days ago too)- ATO stopped a week ago and salinity has been going up/down while I tried to keep it constant.

Archived