Awpong's 50g Cube - Long Overdue Update

awpong

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

howd you cycle your tank?

What dry rock you using...Reefcleaner?

Yea, I used reefcleaner's "reef rock"

I cycled with Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride and his Nitrifying bacteria. Took a little over a week to cycle.

Wow man is this tank going to be amazing!

If its anything better than you're 20L I will be in love ahahah!

How did you clean your reef rock and did you seed it with LR?

Sorry im being annoying haha

A better picture of my blenny.

Blenny3.jpg

Wow man is this tank going to be amazing!

If its anything better than you're 20L I will be in love ahahah!

How did you clean your reef rock and did you seed it with LR?

Sorry im being annoying haha

To be honest, I just rinsed the rock off in my shower :lol:

And no, I didn't use any LR. I used live sand, but I didn't want to risk any hitchhikers, especially since I'm not familiar with the quality of local livestock. I bought a bag of pods from John at Reefcleaners to seed my tank, so I've got lots of copepods crawling all over my glass.

I'm going to assume that my tank will eventually develop a population of other beneficial hitch hikers (amphipods, bristle worms, etc...) when the coral starts rolling in.

Speaking of which, the coral I ordered form Reefgardener should be shipping today!

A better picture of my blenny.

Blenny3.jpg

'Extremely Photogenic Blenny'

Really nice new additions, the clowns look great as do the shrimp pair and the blenny.

'Extremely Photogenic Blenny'

Really nice new additions, the clowns look great as do the shrimp pair and the blenny.

Lights are on, everyone is eating, almost everything looks good. The only thing that sucks is that one of the clowns has a little case of lymphocystis, but I'm sure it will go away in a few days to a week. I'm just surprised that the fish have anything on them at all, seeing as how I got them from Diver's Den.

Beautiful new additions! What kind of shrimp are those...blood shrimp? They look nicer than a typical blood shrimp, to me.

I had to look up lymphocystis. Is it like a sore on it's body or a growth?

Beautiful new additions! What kind of shrimp are those...blood shrimp? They look nicer than a typical blood shrimp, to me.

I had to look up lymphocystis. Is it like a sore on it's body or a growth?

Thanks

They're USA Tank Bred Blood Red Fire Shrimp. They've got a cooler pattern than most blood shrimp (white spots), but they're not as red as my old one. I'm hoping I'll be able to fix that by feeding properly.

And the clownfish has white growths on his left fin and left pectoral fin. It looks like a cottony growth, but it's just Lymphocystis... which as a med student, is a miss leading name. Apparently its a viral infection that is common in fish that are shipped. It should disappear on its own within a week.

Thanks

They're USA Tank Bred Blood Red Fire Shrimp. They've got a cooler pattern than most blood shrimp (white spots), but they're not as red as my old one. I'm hoping I'll be able to fix that by feeding properly.

And the clownfish has white growths on his left fin and left pectoral fin. It looks like a cottony growth, but it's just Lymphocystis... which as a med student, is a miss leading name. Apparently its a viral infection that is common in fish that are shipped. It should disappear on its own within a week.

I bet being a med student comes in handy on many occasions. Good to know in case I see something like that on a fish, in the future :).

Very cool shrimp! The white looked turquoise/blue in the original photos which threw me off a bit.

You're going to really enjoy having the midas blenny. They are quite the little characters with sooo much character :happy:.

Well my coral just came in, but my dip solution doesn't come in until later this afternoon. I'm trying to restrain myself from adding the coral now, but I guess I can hold off until the UPS man comes in a few hours.

FTS will come once the coral is in and starting to open up.

Coral has been dipped and is in the tank. Everything is starting to open up, and most things are already fully open.

It looks like there was a slight mix up in my order, and I got an extra ricordia instead of a frag of mixed zoanthids, but it's alright.

I'll get a FTS up when the lights are back on full and more of the coral is open.

I also need to fix my DSLR's memory card. I cleared all of my old pictures yesterday, but now the memory card only lets me take 4 pictures before it says it's full. Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Can't wait to see the new FTS!!!!!!!

New FTS please!

FTS2020614.jpgLeft2020614.jpg

I'm still working on the white balance with the camera. I've got another test tomorrow, so I'll post a lot more pictures after that.

With the white balance I have found it best to shoot between 10-15k to get accurate colour rendition. You can set this on the camera itself or if you shoot in RAW you can make the change in Photoshop/Light room. I have used both methods (have a profile on my DSLR) but prefer to use the latter method so I can just snap away and tweak the photos that I want on the PC.

lilmatty5dimes

why not use a custom white balance on your camera. its a dslr right?

this is custom white balance on camera for me. i stuck a white 5g bucket lid in there and shot it to crate it.

IMG_9402_zpsfdbfa141.jpg

Got any pix of the sump? How's the heater doing? I'm pretty sure that's the heater I'm going to use for my new tank next month....

If the 200w is the same quality as the 100w you won't be disappointed. I can run mine without a controller and get almost the same temps as with a controller which I found pretty impressive.

Archived