Awpong's 50g Cube - Long Overdue Update

awpong

I'll get a pic of the sump tomorrow, but the heater isn't actually as good as I thought.

I've got it set to 80 right now, but it hasn't been able to raise the tank higher than 77-78. I'm thinking I might get a second one.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll get a pic of the sump tomorrow, but the heater isn't actually as good as I thought.

I've got it set to 80 right now, but it hasn't been able to raise the tank higher than 77-78. I'm thinking I might get a second one.

Hmmm well my new tank is 30x20x16 with a 25x12.5x14 sump so probably about 50-55 gallons total water volume.

WOW you won MP-10 on the ecotech video contest!

I won an MP-10 Wes, T-shirt and Coral G

Was it the ecotech ultimate tank overhaul?

Yea, I won that stuff too. I got it for the video contest the month before.

Got any pix of the sump? How's the heater doing? I'm pretty sure that's the heater I'm going to use for my new tank next month....

Sump-1.jpg

Blenny2-1.jpg

Well I made the mistake of taking a study break and looking at live aquaria right when the new Diver's Den fish were uploaded.

Looks like the tank will have some new occupants on Wednesday.

ScreenShot2014-02-10at51543PM.pngScreenShot2014-02-10at51549PM.pngScreenShot2014-02-10at51535PM.pngScreenShot2014-02-10at51555PM.png

The cardinals are Apogon dovii, even though they kinda resemble the Flame Cardinalfish (Apogon maculatus). They seem to be really uncommon in the hobby. They're much redder than the latter species, but unfortunately they're primarily nocturnal. Since I got them of DD, I'm hoping they're adjusted to the light of an aquarium and won't be too recluse. I've got the arch and overhang that creates some nice shady recesses.

Nice SPS pieces, great colour. Those cardinals are pretty cool as well, remind me a lot of the Threadfin cardinals I have...just a lot brighter haha.

Nice SPS pieces, great colour. Those cardinals are pretty cool as well, remind me a lot of the Threadfin cardinals I have...just a lot brighter haha.

I hope I like the cardinals. They were kind of an impulse buy that was spurred on by my friend who doesn't have a tank, but is currently living vicariously through mine. The Threadfin/Blue-Eye Cardinals were originally going to be my back up if I decided against a pair of Bangaiis, but these guys were just so red and attractive that I couldn't resist. That, and I wanted some more coral in my tank, especially SPS.

Part of me is just hoping that the millies aren't too hairy. I'm a little hesitant about my dwarf angels (when i get them) nipping. I'll end up getting a bunch of acro crabs for the colonies once they grow out a bit, so hopefully the crabs will help protect the coral fingerscrossed.

(A lot of hoping, I know :scarry: )

Thanks. It was the final piece of my tank, and now that it's set up, I'm ready for some livestock!!! Unfortunately I haven't found a good LFS here in San Antonio. I spent 4 hours today driving to all of the local reef stores, but none of them had a great selection. And even then, they were all incredibly over priced or kinda sickly.

It looks like I'll be ordering my livestock online :scarry:

Which store(s) did you think were best? I'm just getting my feet wet with the hobby and I thought that 2 of the stores here were decent, but I might be wrong.

And this is an awesome tank!!!! Lots of inspiration!

Which store(s) did you think were best? I'm just getting my feet wet with the hobby and I thought that 2 of the stores here were decent, but I might be wrong.

And this is an awesome tank!!!! Lots of inspiration!

The stores aren't bad, but maybe I was spoiled with my old LFS in PA, so in my opinion, they're not great.

There's Elegant Reef which is more of the high end coral stores. The coral they have is really nice, but they've got a really small selection that is over priced. They also don't really carry any SPS. Furthermore, they've got a really limited fish selection; however their fish all look really healthy.

Aquarium Designs is a nice store that is for your average joe. They have an amazing selection of dry goods, and they have a pretty decent selection of generally healthy fish. Occasionally you'll see a dead or dying fish, so I'd be sure to quarantine just to be safe. Unfortunately they're severely lacking in the coral department. What they do have from their limited selection either has either aiptasia or algae growing on them. The coral is also priced way to high.

Fintique and Texas Tropical & Marine are horrible for saltwater fish. They've both got great selections for freshwater, but I would never step foot back into those establishments. They're both verging on animal cruelty with their marine tanks.

Alamo Aquatics is a large pet store that doesn't cater to saltwater too well. They have great potential, but the store looks run down and unkept. They carry very few fish in stock, and it looks like they don't clean the tanks or even feed the fish. The coral selection is also abysmal.

Phenomenal Aquatics is a nice store that is run by hobbyists. They're definitely very knowledgable, but like the other stores, they're very small and have a minimal selection of both fish and coral. That being said, everything there appeared to be healthy when I went. The prices weren't too bad either.

Finally, South Seas Aquatics is another hobbyist-run store. They too are very knowledgable and have a healthy selection to choose from. They probably have the most reasonably priced fish and widest selection of coral among the stores listed above. That being said, you can still find better prices and selections online (even with shipping).

Since you're new to the hobby, I would probably buy my livestock from Aquarium Designs, Phenomenal Aquatics, or South Seas Aquatics.

Well the new fish and coral came in today.

The memory card in my camera is having issues, so I haven't been able to take any good pictures yet.

But I'll leave y'all with this for now. (Taken on my phone, so I apologize for the quality)

Also, one of the coral colonies that I bought wasn't healthy enough to ship, so I only ended up getting the 2 milli colonies.

Damn I want a shrimp!

Yea they're pretty cool. I'm glad they finally get to clean something!

The clowns and blenny don't really like the shrimp, but these cardinals are wild caught so I assume they're used to being cleaned.

I'm hoping the angels will also enjoy interacting with the shrimp. I know my old lemonpeel always used to visit my cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse on almost a daily basis.

I really want to get a blood red or red line cleaner but they are really pricey over here. If I purchase one it will be the most expensive piece in my tank.

Lookin good! How's the clowns doing?

They're both doing great. I'm taking pictures right now, so hopefully I'll get a few good ones of them.

I'm too lazy to clean my glass, but it's not too dirty right now. You can see the growth on the two pictures above if you look close enough.

The clown with lymphocystis is mostly back to normal. She still has a little bit on her pectoral fin, but it's pretty much disappeared everywhere else.

Archived