Pod Your Reef

Awpong's 50g Cube - Long Overdue Update

awpong

Woot! Following along! I love the stock list, has some of my favorite fish. Is the wrasse not prone to jump?

I acquired a 45g cube for free, nothing super fancy but it will be fun to get ideas from your thread (can't set it up until after graduation this May). I plan on 2 MP10's as well as I already have them. Problem is.. they are not wireless so not sure how that is going to work out.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woot! Following along! I love the stock list, has some of my favorite fish. Is the wrasse not prone to jump?

I acquired a 45g cube for free, nothing super fancy but it will be fun to get ideas from your thread (can't set it up until after graduation this May). I plan on 2 MP10's as well as I already have them. Problem is.. they are not wireless so not sure how that is going to work out.

Thanks! And I hope the mystery wrasse doesn't jump! I'd really hate for an expensive fish like that to end up as fish-jerky.

I know their jumping reputation isn't as bad as certain wrasses (i.e. flasher wrasses). However, I'm just going off of the fact that I haven't heard very many stories of actually it happening, but I know it's possible. I'm hoping that maybe the height of the tank will also prevent any sudden vertical movements from breaching the surface.

Have you heard - or do you think - otherwise?

And for your MP10s, just upgrade them to the wireless version. It's really cheap (for Ecotech) and easy. That's what I had to do for my original MP10. Just buy the RF module from Ecotech: costs $45, arrives within 2-3 days, and takes literally seconds to install.

BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks!

Awesome scape!

Thanks, but I can't wait to cover it all up with coral :)

Thanks! And I hope the mystery wrasse doesn't jump! I'd really hate for an expensive fish like that to end up as fish-jerky.

I know their jumping reputation isn't as bad as certain wrasses (i.e. flasher wrasses). However, I'm just going off of the fact that I haven't heard very many stories of actually it happening, but I know it's possible. I'm hoping that maybe the height of the tank will also prevent any sudden vertical movements from breaching the surface.

Have you heard - or do you think - otherwise?

And for your MP10s, just upgrade them to the wireless version. It's really cheap (for Ecotech) and easy. That's what I had to do for my original MP10. Just buy the RF module from Ecotech: costs $45, arrives within 2-3 days, and takes literally seconds to install.

Thanks!

Thanks, but I can't wait to cover it all up with coral :)

I don't know enough about the fish jumping. Was just thinking wrasse's are generally prone to it.

Well, one of the MP10's is a blue box version :( I suppose I could sell the blue box if I needed wireless. It doesn't seem cost effective to upgrade the driver completely on it.

I wonder if there is a huge benefit to the pumps communicating? I was thinking about maybe putting them both on the same (back) wall assuming I would still get good flow. They would pretty much be invisible that way.

I don't know enough about the fish jumping. Was just thinking wrasse's are generally prone to it.

Well, one of the MP10's is a blue box version :( I suppose I could sell the blue box if I needed wireless. I wonder if there is a huge benefit to the pumps communicating? I was thinking about maybe putting them both on the same (back) wall assuming I would still get good flow. They would pretty much be invisible that way.

The blue box version can be upgraded to the MP10wES for $85. Just get the MP10wES Replacement Driver from the same link I posed above. You can also upgrade to the MP10ES for just $55.

I like having the two pumps in sync (mine are actually in anti-sync). It prevents them from working against each other and creating turbulent and chaotic eddies/gyres.

Also, I love your ruby red dragonets!!! I was thinking about adding one to this tank once it matures.

How was your experience training them to eat frozen?

The blue box version can be upgraded to the MP10wES for $85. Just get the MP10wES Replacement Driver from the same link I posed above. You can also upgrade to the MP10ES for just $55.

I like having the two pumps in sync (mine are actually in anti-sync). It prevents them from working against each other and creating turbulent and chaotic eddies/gyres.

Also, I love your ruby red dragonets!!! I was thinking about adding one to this tank once it matures.

How was your experience training them to eat frozen?

Thanks! My ruby was a lot more difficult than the mandarins. He was in poor health when I got him though so that may have had something to do with it. I want to say it took 4-6 weeks to get him on frozen. Luckily I have about a trillion pods.

Just sucks to spend that much on an old MP10. I guess it already has a new rotor, so if I upgraded it and replaced the bearings, It would be almost like a brand new mp10w so it's probably worth it. Maybe I can get like 20-30 bucks for the old controller if someone needs parts.

12175663314_0226a8188a.jpg

I'm not sure if this is my exact unit, but my lights finally shipped out today.

Also, my cycle is nearing the end. Although the tank doesn't have lights yet, the sump does and diatoms have finally started to show up.

I ordered my CUC from John at reefcleaners last week and they should be arriving on wednesday.

It's just a shame I've got two tests on Friday. :furious:

ATO.jpg

I got a new container to replace the blue bucket as my ATO reservoir. I sprayed the inside with Krylon Fusion, so I'm hoping that'll make everything reef-safe. Any thoughts?

Also, going to be adding part of my CUC today. USPS tried to deliver the package earlier today, but I was in lecture. I'm going to drive to the post office to pick up the package in about an hour. So excited, the tank will finally have life!

Lastly, lights come in tomorrow :)

Looks awesome! I like the new container. How far along are you in schooling and where are you attending?

I'm a first year at UT School of Medicine in San Antonio.

I'm a first year at UT School of Medicine in San Antonio.

Good luck! Hopefully they don't run you down too hard that you end up slacking on the tank. :happy:

My husband takes his MCAT this May omgomgomg

Good luck! Hopefully they don't run you down too hard that you end up slacking on the tank. :happy:

My husband takes his MCAT this May omgomgomg

Haha, the reason I'm setting up the tank is so that I can have a way of de-stressing from school... although it may actually cause me to start slacking on school (not the tank) :scarry:

But good luck to your husband!

----

On a side note, I bet y'all will never be able to guess who I bought my CUC from!

CUC.jpg

Be careful those little bastards like to wedge themselves in the mp10 and jam the mp10 and your dry side drops on the floor and the wet side hits the sand bed. Happened to me a few times.

I love how when setting up a new tank and ordering a ton of stuff every day for a while is like christmas. Light looks awesome. looking forward to some over tank shots.

Archived