SaltCritters.com

Lazarus Project - Godzilla's (Evanski) Fluval 2G

evanski

Tank looks great you old fart :P. How are those pink and golds doing? Mine grow about 6 polyps a month! I am following now :).

LOL this is too funny, considering the PM I just sent you! :lol:

Thanks for the compliment.

I LOVE the Pink and Golds. They have been in about 3-4 weeks and are HUGE. I think they have knocked out 3-4 new heads since, and they are getting bigger as well. I would love for them to explode and carpet the entire lower right side of the tank.

Dosing Kent Accel about 50% of the lower end of recommended dosage. I have CPR and purigen, and do a 12.5% WC each week. What do you dose?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fed with reef roids and Kent Coral Accel...was surprised to see the chili pepper monti polyps go for it and retract with their food!

E

I've been doing that combo as well. Lots of pretty colors growing on the back tank wall, and the corals seem to love it. When I scrape this grunge off the tank walls the corals seem to enjoy it as well. Really cool tank, I love it. I may have a chili pepper monti ... brilliant green with red polyps, encrusts rather than plates?

LOL this is too funny, considering the PM I just sent you! :lol:

Thanks for the compliment.

I LOVE the Pink and Golds. They have been in about 3-4 weeks and are HUGE. I think they have knocked out 3-4 new heads since, and they are getting bigger as well. I would love for them to explode and carpet the entire lower right side of the tank.

Dosing Kent Accel about 50% of the lower end of recommended dosage. I have CPR and purigen, and do a 12.5% WC each week. What do you dose?

lol go easy on the Kent accel so you don't get cyano. Start it out like you are doing and slowly increase it. It's like roids for Z's and P's. They will carpet the lower part before you know it. I have some growth shots in my thread on the pink and golds.

I've been doing that combo as well. Lots of pretty colors growing on the back tank wall, and the corals seem to love it. When I scrape this grunge off the tank walls the corals seem to enjoy it as well. Really cool tank, I love it. I may have a chili pepper monti ... brilliant green with red polyps, encrusts rather than plates?

You know the funny thing is that with my uber low bioload (no fish), I haven't even had to scrape the glass since the diatom outbreak ended.

Yes, Chili Pepper is encrusting Monti, light green with bright red polyps. This sucked actively fed on reef roids today! Polyps sucked it in and them came out for more. I swear I can see growth on it since I mounted it earlier this week. Would love to see it cover the top of my rockwork, interspaced with birdsnest(s).

lol go easy on the Kent accel so you don't get cyano. Start it out like you are doing and slowly increase it. It's like roids for Z's and P's. They will carpet the lower part before you know it. I have some growth shots in my thread on the pink and golds.

Thanks for the advice...think I will go with 50% of lower does a couple of times a week and keep up with WC.

Tubbs Blue's are popping out babies left and right, and 2-polyp frag of RPEs look like they have 3+ on the way. Holy cow! omgomgomg

You know the funny thing is that with my uber low bioload (no fish), I haven't even had to scrape the glass since the diatom outbreak ended.

Yes, Chili Pepper is encrusting Monti, light green with bright red polyps. This sucked actively fed on reef roids today! Polyps sucked it in and them came out for more. I swear I can see growth on it since I mounted it earlier this week. Would love to see it cover the top of my rockwork, interspaced with birdsnest(s).

I got a frag of it (if it's it) from a local reefer. It broke in half. Mounted one pretty high up in my 40 and it bleached, mounted the other one low down in my 46 and it has amazing color. A birdsnest has now shaded the one in the 40 and it too has great color. They seem to like low light.

The Coral Acel stops skimmers from skimming for about 2 hours, best I can tell. As soon as it hits the water the skim stops rising up the tube. I use probably 1/4 dose and then broadcast feed Reef Roids. This old man is too lazy to unplug the skimmer. :) In trying to color up my tanks I've been feeding like crazy and watching to see what happens. So far just technicolor tank walls and a lot more color.

I got a frag of it (if it's it) from a local reefer. It broke in half. Mounted one pretty high up in my 40 and it bleached, mounted the other one low down in my 46 and it has amazing color. A birdsnest has now shaded the one in the 40 and it too has great color. They seem to like low light.

The Coral Acel stops skimmers from skimming for about 2 hours, best I can tell. As soon as it hits the water the skim stops rising up the tube. I use probably 1/4 dose and then broadcast feed Reef Roids. This old man is too lazy to unplug the skimmer. :) In trying to color up my tanks I've been feeding like crazy and watching to see what happens. So far just technicolor tank walls and a lot more color.

Love the Chili Pepper...it seems to be expanding already. I hope it goes nuts.

Not skimming (obviously), but good to know. I DO know that my Tubbs blues, which was only 3 polys + one baby is now almost 6+ several babies since I mounted it. I am feeding reef roids as well once a week, but I cannot complain about how the tank is doing with the lights, water changes, and feeding/supplement.

I was going to ask how Lawn knew you were an "old fart". I see you pm'd him LOL.

My glass needs to be cleaned every other day :unsure:. It's from the phyto and oyster feast dosing...I'm sure.

I was going to ask how Lawn knew you were an "old fart". I see you pm'd him LOL.

My glass needs to be cleaned every other day :unsure:. It's from the phyto and oyster feast dosing...I'm sure.

LOL. An old fart to be sure.

I am taking it easy on the feeding and supplements to start...although I dare say with your bad example I will be overindulging sooner rather than later! :haha:

This tank looks really great. My wife wants me to setup the same thing at her office. Could you give me some detail shots of full tank w/ light fixture, side shot, rear shot of cable organization all that? An updated list of items in the system would be really cool too, excluding livestock. She is going to go simpler w/ clown and anemone maybe something else fun from my tank but pretty simple. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the comment Ice...much appreciated.

Please have a look at the first page of the thread...all of the hardware is listed there. You can also peruse the thread re: stocking, feeding, supplements, etc.

I will take a few pics and get back to you. The only thing that was not completely plug-and-play was the light clamp. Between the dividing wall between the two back chambers, the top, and the media basket, the clamp would not fit. I used a Dremel sanding tool to remove some of the material from the back notch of the lid so that the lamp could mount just off-center. The goose neck is flexible enough so that the light still hangs dead center over the tank.

Will post some more architectural pics later.

....and here I am just before midnight local time acclimating my corals...

For the hefty price of $30 (3 $10 frags plus the free fourth frag) I got

- 20+ heads RDE...nice and bright, fat and healthy

- 8 heads of Pink Zippers (I think that is what he said)

- 1 head of purple hornets...NICE yellow color of center ring and skirt

- Silver dollar size may of bright GSP...this will plug the bottom equalization hole between the DT and back wall

Pics tomorrow!

PICS!

Really, I am enjoying the Zs and Ps so much I might just ditch any thoughts about favia/acans and go polyp crazy. Still want a few montis and birdsnest up top.

As promised, here is my recent score...$30 total.

Half-golf ball size of RDE mini-colony. LOVE the color...and oldy but a goody. Might actually be too big for the rockwork and may just stay on the sand after I clip it off the plug.

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Fluval/IMG_1064.jpg.html'>IMG_1064.jpg

Nice big hunk of very bright neon GSP. Pic does not quite do it or the Pink Glimmers in the background justice. I am about a month away from buying a real camera where I can shoot in the RAW (pun intended) and do color correction. This is going low on the back wall to plug the equalization hole between the DT and back chambers.

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Fluval/IMG_1065.jpg.html'>IMG_1065.jpg

REALLY bad pic of Pink Zippers and Purple Hornets. The Pinks are SO different in color from my Pink and Golds and Pink Glitters...almost like cotton candy. I actually got 9 polyps and a few babies. The Hornet looks like it got squished in transit but should be OK. There is a baby down below that I did not see before, which would have jacked the price up to $20 instead of $10. Score!

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Fluval/IMG_1066.jpg.html'>IMG_1066.jpg

Params seem to be very stable, identical the three time I tested...but I only test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.

Evaporation depends a little on air flow in the room...we have an overhead fan. Usually about a cup a day with the cover on.

Hooked on the Zs and Ps???? You should still do acans if possible. After I move, I'm going to try a tall tank (similar to yours) with acans at the bottom and Zs/Ps.... and so far that's all the plans I have LOL. We're talking in at least 4 or 5 years.

Hooked on the Zs and Ps???? You should still do acans if possible. After I move, I'm going to try a tall tank (similar to yours) with acans at the bottom and Zs/Ps.... and so far that's all the plans I have LOL. We're talking in at least 4 or 5 years.

Now I am fascinated by the favias....and I suppose I can relegate the acans to the sandbed. The flat rock in the back of the rockwork would be great for favias!

And then of course, I still want more monti caps (lime green and Idaho grape) as well as several kinds of birdsnest!

Your new additions look FANTASTIC. Very jelly!

Favias hold a special place in my heart :).

I will of course allow a man of your experience (aka old fart) and knowledge to make a recommendation. Like something that will grow a bit to flesh out the flat rock, and not sting everything in such a small tank.

Hook a brotha up!

Archived