inTank Media Baskets

Lazarus Project - Godzilla's (Evanski) Fluval 2G

evanski

Went back to Your Reef and scored four $10 frags for $30! This includes my first SPS for the tank. I did have to move the Pink Glimmer palys lower onto the sand in a slightly shaded area. They are REALLY nice, but have not opened all the way yet except for the shaded are underneath which is wide open.

But first a FTS for my buddy Gena!

IMG_1044.jpg

RPEs are really almost this bright in person. I chose this two polyp frag instead of some larger ones...these heads were the biggest and by far the brightest. The are wide open on the sandbed....hope I can get them about halfway up the rock and get them growing like GSP!

IMG_1043.jpg

Red, not orange, Monti Cap. I know someone mentioned they might shade things too much below given the relatively deep tank for its footprint...but I am going to try to mount in the back corner on the glass.

IMG_1041.jpg

Chili Pepper encrusting Monti. LOVE the colors on this, good contract from the purple coraline algae.

IMG_1040.jpg

Slightly out of focus Lunar Eclipse Paly. LOVE to bright orange skirt against the deep purple face. These have grown well for me in the past, and get very large polyps.Starting him out in the shade until he opens up all the way.

IMG_1039.jpg

As always, your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thought is.....AWESOME!!!!!

I can't wait to see this tank in a year. You should get a green slimer for the top. And some birdsnest corals. I'm a bit partial to those :lol:.

My thought is.....AWESOME!!!!!

I can't wait to see this tank in a year. You should get a green slimer for the top. And some birdsnest corals. I'm a bit partial to those :lol:.

Gena...you are too kind! Still kinda looks like the coral is moving in!

I would like Birdsnest, especially BOP. Not sure about Green Slimer...it seems to be VERY thick with sparse branching, which I think might look out of balance with the small footprint. I would like to do a true acro at the pinnacle of the rockwork, but perhaps something more delicate with more branching...and hardy!

Gena...you are too kind! Still kinda looks like the coral is moving in!

I would like Birdsnest, especially BOP. Not sure about Green Slimer...it seems to be VERY thick with sparse branching, which I think might look out of balance with the small footprint. I would like to do a true acro at the pinnacle of the rockwork, but perhaps something more delicate with more branching...and hardy!

Well, if you don't get a frag of BOP before mine is ready, I'll send you one for free :).

The slimer probably would get too big. I just love how they grow. Their shape and crazy branching. Wish mine would speed it up already LOL.

Well, if you don't get a frag of BOP before mine is ready, I'll send you one for free :).

The slimer probably would get too big. I just love how they grow. Their shape and crazy branching. Wish mine would speed it up already LOL.

You are super nice...thanks! Maybe you can bring it up when you vacation in Tahoe this summer! Laura and I will cook you and the family dinner!

I LOVE the Green Slimer...just not for the current form factor.

Good news...FINALLY found Aptasia-Rx after six different LFS were out of stock. Nuked the little bastard...BDA to follow tomorrow.

Bad news...might have had a collateral damage of a Pink and Gold Paly polyp! omgomgomg

Edit update: Think I got the aptasia...is has been obliterated and the Pink and Gold Palys have already extended over them. Bad news is that I might lose a 1-2 polyps from collateral damage, and the small Tubbs Blue frag across the tank seems pissed but probably OK.

Tank looks fantastic - I can't wait to see some more coral in this thing. I agree with Gena - green slimer ftw!

Also - random note, I am going to watch my first NCAA basketball game on TV tonight. Duke vs GT. Duke better not botch it ;)

Tank looks fantastic - I can't wait to see some more coral in this thing. I agree with Gena - green slimer ftw!

Also - random note, I am going to watch my first NCAA basketball game on TV tonight. Duke vs GT. Duke better not botch it ;)

Thanks! Hard to believe I have 6 zoa/paly and 2 montipora frags in there already!!!

I think we can handle the Rambling Wreck this year...will be watching as well.

If you get the BIRDSNEST it will hopefully grow fast enough that you can frag and fund the hobby

I hear you! I want pink, green, and BOP as a minimum.

New pics, after I mounted all but the RPEs...I want to wait until I can decide how high I can mount these. They GLOW in my tank, and want them to be a real focus.

Just started directed feeding with Reef-Roids, and two drops of Kent Coral Accel per week. Did first water change of 1 qt (12.5%) which I plan on doing each week. Will consider other dosing (2-part, etc.) as the tank starts to fill in and I expand testing.

Also trying to minimize traces of mounting...no frag plugs and removing as much glue, etc. to get a natural look.

I NEED A NEW CAMERA! Autofocus, color, saturation hard to control on my iPhone5S

FTS...can't see everything here.

IMG_1049.jpg

Top down...first such pic for me! I like the look. The Lunar Eclipse Paly here is AWESOME!

IMG_1051.jpg

Eagle eyes...out of focus and washed out. They are fat, happy, and growing. Apparently they ALSO have a aptasia HH that I will nuke ASAP.

IMG_1059.jpg

Gold and Pink Palys dominate the right side of the tank. VERY full and pretty, but you can see where they have a few pissed off/damaged polyps from Aptasia-Rx splashes.

IMG_1058.jpg

Deep red montipora capricornis...mounted in the upper left corner of the tank just below the surface skimmer. This seemed like a great way to optimize space for this coral without compromising the light on the rockwork.

IMG_1057.jpg

Chili Pepper encrusting montipora mounted in the center of the top of the rockwork. GORGEOUS coral, looks happy at the highest point.

IMG_1056.jpg

RPEs...time to move them up. Will lose the frag plug when I decide where to mount.

IMG_1055.jpg

Awful pic of the Tubbs Blues...cannot get a good pic of these. You can see the baby on the bottom, and there is another on the back. More are budding! Can't wait to see these spread and expand...they are tiny!

IMG_1054.jpg

Pink Glitter Palys only opened up at the bottom of the tank and under the ledge to provide a little shade. I had these mounted a little higher up, but pried them off so they could find a more comfortable place.

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Fluval/IMG_1053.jpg.html'>IMG_1053.jpg

Looks awesome! I want RPE's!!!!! I almost bought some a few days ago. Might still do it ;).

I like the placement on the chili pepper monti, but you may have trouble with that red cap way at the top competing with SPS space below it on the rocks. I always like to plan ahead when placing my corals. I can't help but do it when looking at other people's tanks too LOL.

Looks awesome! I want RPE's!!!!! I almost bought some a few days ago. Might still do it ;).

I like the placement on the chili pepper monti, but you may have trouble with that red cap way at the top competing with SPS space below it on the rocks. I always like to plan ahead when placing my corals. I can't help but do it when looking at other people's tanks too LOL.

Thanks for the look and the note!

I thought long and hard about the placement of the montipora capricornis. The placement that high in the corner should not shade the main rockwork, where I imagine the majority of the SPS will be.

There is a little off-shoot of flat rock, almost flush with the sand. I had envisioned placing a nice, multicolor favia or rainbow acan...which would spread out to cover this rock. A little loss of light should not be a problem, and the angle of the light should provide enough photons for these LPS.

Having said all of this, I do understand that I will have to trim occasionally, and it will be difficult because of the brittle nature of the plates.

This is the accommodation I have to make because of the tank size...and the fact that it is essentially a "tall" configuration.

Will do the same on the opposite back corner with a purple monti cap after I see how the red does...say in 3 months.

E

I'm nearly at the point where I'll be having to trim my monticaps and I'm not looking forward to it at all. I don't want to ruin the shape. Oh well, it will have to be done eventually. I'll just look at it as money in my pocket. They do grow really fast :).

I'm nearly at the point where I'll be having to trim my monticaps and I'm not looking forward to it at all. I don't want to ruin the shape. Oh well, it will have to be done eventually. I'll just look at it as money in my pocket. They do grow really fast :).

Yup...looking forward to being able to sell and trade.

Yes indeed an investment lol, frag it get money buy more coral repeat

2 month update:

1 qt (12.5%) weekly water change

Changed floss

pH 8.2

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate 0

Killed the last aptasia to show up. All the zoas/paly were PISSED, then opened right back up.

Fed with reef roids and Kent Coral Accel...was surprised to see the chili pepper monti polyps go for it and retract with their food!

Looking forward to regular feedings, water changes, and stable parameters.

E

Aptasia-Rx. It is essentially thinned kalk paste, and applied directly towards the mouth disc with a syringe. I fed first and turned off the pumps...but the excess material flies around my small tank and REALLY pisses off the zoas! I am happy they opened right back up.

Archived