Top Shelf Aquatics

Snowy's 16 gallon - king feather duster lost his crown

Snowgrrl83

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brass above the water makes me nervous of copper poisoning, hopefully you can replace those soon. Bulk reef supply has some nice kits for plastic hoses and such, do they ship to Canada? Anyway, tank looks great, jealous of your shrooms. :)

Congrats! Love the mushrooms

Thanks. Rics are probably my favourite corals. Mushrooms are so underrated for some reason. I think they are beautiful specimens...

New page new month can we get a fts congratulations

Not yet, A FTS was given less than 2 weeks ago.... I usually give one around the end of the month....soon enough ;)... but just for you, heres a pic of my rice, my BTA, my picasso and royal gramma :) I love em.

Brass above the water makes me nervous of copper poisoning, hopefully you can replace those soon. Bulk reef supply has some nice kits for plastic hoses and such, do they ship to Canada? Anyway, tank looks great, jealous of your shrooms. :)

Ditto! BRS has crazy shipping charges to get to Canada... I'll find some type of PVC elbows somewhere in town here.

On another note, I'm still vinegar dosing. My new skimmer is working great (Tunze 9002) although I feel like I'm constantly adjusting the air intake. Everyone seems happy. I have very little algae and nasties... I only need to clean the glass maybe once per week.

I also bought a new lens to put over my r420r LEDs. I just don't know where my hubby hid the small screw driver which I need to install the lens.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/F8E23A3C-3CBA-41BD-B695-CFA6643EAFB7_zpscejcbb83.jpg.html'>F8E23A3C-3CBA-41BD-B695-CFA6643EAFB7_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Its the end of the month in a couple of days, therefore I'm due for a FTS. I'm still dosing vinegar and it seems to have taken care of my little cyano problem in my fuge. My tank seems pretty clean and everything is doing well..... Except one zoa frag colony that seems to have died off for an unknown reason. Not sure if it is the consequence of dosing vinegar (too much competition for nutrients?) or something else that may have negatively affected those zoas....however, all other zoa colonies seem to be doing fine.

Here is the Feb 26, 2014 FTS. ...mind you, I did disturb my candy canes prior to taking the shot and the shot was taken as my LEDS were dimming down for the day.

1BD540FF-3D09-49A1-97B3-1FFB74077BF6_zps

Im on vacation this week! I hope that everything survives for 5 days while i cant dose the tank. I did bump up the alk and calcium slightly while im gone. I did get another new frag last week - forest fire monti digitata...its a beauty! Hoping the the tank still looks good when i come back from vacation ;)

Im on vacation this week! I hope that everything survives for 5 days while i cant dose the tank. I did bump up the alk and calcium slightly while im gone. I did get another new frag last week - forest fire monti digitata...its a beauty! Hoping the the tank still looks good when i come back from vacation ;)

Where ya headed? Have fun wherever you go! Your tank is looking fantastic!

I just got back from Ray's, decided to give him another try. Turned out pretty well, had a nice long chat. Maybe I'll start going to his place more often since he's five minutes away.

Where ya headed? Have fun wherever you go! Your tank is looking fantastic!

I just got back from Ray's, decided to give him another try. Turned out pretty well, had a nice long chat. Maybe I'll start going to his place more often since he's five minutes away.

I went to Dallas, TX for nearly a week. I posted a bunch of pics on Aylmer Salty's of the Dallas World Aquariums. Some pretty cool Sea Dragons that they have!

Oooh hope things are alright it'd be a shame to a nice tank like this,

Everything survived...except one ricordea mushroom disapeared. I blame the pistol shrimp. He somehow manages to dislodge them or unglue them from the rock and then bring them to his cubby hole to decorate his den. Apparently, I'm not the only one that thinks corals are pretty.

Tank is doing well. I've been trying to boost my calcium above 410 but I'm having a bit of trouble. The calcium likes to stay at 410.... I keep on adding on Mg with no luck. I suppose 410 is still acceptable...

I want to buy a few more things, apparently a few of the local vendors have clams...so tempting,I would also like more rics and premieum zoas. I need to find time to go shopping - hard to do since I've been back to work.

I went to Dallas, TX for nearly a week. I posted a bunch of pics on Aylmer Salty's of the Dallas World Aquariums. Some pretty cool Sea Dragons that they have!

Everything survived...except one ricordea mushroom disapeared. I blame the pistol shrimp. He somehow manages to dislodge them or unglue them from the rock and then bring them to his cubby hole to decorate his den. Apparently, I'm not the only one that thinks corals are pretty.

Tank is doing well. I've been trying to boost my calcium above 410 but I'm having a bit of trouble. The calcium likes to stay at 410.... I keep on adding on Mg with no luck. I suppose 410 is still acceptable...

I want to buy a few more things, apparently a few of the local vendors have clams...so tempting,I would also like more rics and premieum zoas. I need to find time to go shopping - hard to do since I've been back to work.

Yea, I saw the posts by Ray and GF about the clams. They're pretty pricey though :S. Rics and zoas are always nice! Get a little garden of them!

Yea, I saw the posts by Ray and GF about the clams. They're pretty pricey though :S. Rics and zoas are always nice! Get a little garden of them!

Get the clam!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get anything yet :( I'v just been too busy to go out and shop. So instead, I'm going to order a new Arduino to have my ATO function via my iPhone and computer. It will be connected to my Arduino via wifi....yup, we are about to get REAL tech. It might take a few months to hook up though since my father-in-law will be working on the software. So, a new Arduino for the ATO and a temperature probe to add to it all.

Its that time of month to add a few photos....

Full setup shot March 25, 2014

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/1592BCBA-0AC0-4FAC-B42E-098CC7F49726_zpsw0jxt8cu.jpg.html'>1592BCBA-0AC0-4FAC-B42E-098CC7F49726_zps

Top shot March 25, 2014

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/6D3090A6-4FE7-46B6-A00E-EDA480413A53_zpsbgymhoqy.jpg.html'>6D3090A6-4FE7-46B6-A00E-EDA480413A53_zps

Right side shot March 25, 2014

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/367BF70B-5D27-41DC-A367-3611E4EADF5C_zpsywuuulyw.jpg.html'>367BF70B-5D27-41DC-A367-3611E4EADF5C_zps

Left side shot March 25, 2014

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/7E1E9C7A-D3AF-416E-A061-08303FDECAD9_zpsqoenpsrj.jpg.html'>7E1E9C7A-D3AF-416E-A061-08303FDECAD9_zps

FTS March 25, 2014

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/A8B31991-288D-42A8-A445-3B0BE5366138_zpselfxryca.jpg.html'>A8B31991-288D-42A8-A445-3B0BE5366138_zps

I didn't get anything yet :( I'v just been too busy to go out and shop. So instead, I'm going to order a new Arduino to have my ATO function via my iPhone and computer. It will be connected to my Arduino via wifi....yup, we are about to get REAL tech. It might take a few months to hook up though since my father-in-law will be working on the software. So, a new Arduino for the ATO and a temperature probe to add to it all.

Its that time of month to add a few photos....

Full setup shot March 25, 2014

1592BCBA-0AC0-4FAC-B42E-098CC7F49726_zps

Top shot March 25, 2014

6D3090A6-4FE7-46B6-A00E-EDA480413A53_zps

Right side shot March 25, 2014

367BF70B-5D27-41DC-A367-3611E4EADF5C_zps

Left side shot March 25, 2014

7E1E9C7A-D3AF-416E-A061-08303FDECAD9_zps

FTS March 25, 2014

A8B31991-288D-42A8-A445-3B0BE5366138_zps

Like I said in the FB group...gorgeous! I'm liking the little ric and zoa gardens. I wanna have a couple of those myself. Are those two Koralia 425s you're running? You might want to consider one Jebao WP-10 to replace them. You can find a few reviews on them on Nano-reef and some Youtube videos.

I just ordered one last night after much contemplating. It's only about $60 USD from Fish-Street, and they recently dropped the shipping price on it too, it used to be around $10 USD to get the thing shipped.

Everything looks great! :) Keep us updated on the Forest Fire digi. Mine lost the green skin soon after I got it and I've never been able to get it back.

Like I said in the FB group...gorgeous! I'm liking the little ric and zoa gardens. I wanna have a couple of those myself. Are those two Koralia 425s you're running? You might want to consider one Jebao WP-10 to replace them. You can find a few reviews on them on Nano-reef and some Youtube videos.

I just ordered one last night after much contemplating. It's only about $60 USD from Fish-Street, and they recently dropped the shipping price on it too, it used to be around $10 USD to get the thing shipped.

My circulation pumps are both good ol' Koralia 1s that I bought for about 20$ each about 5 years ago - they are the equivalent to what they now call the Koralia 425s. I agree with you though, the Jaebo WP-10 seems to be the best bang for your buck (especially compared to those Vortec MP-10s...200$-$300+ yikes!). I'm def considering upgrading when I decide I want to spend money on my tank again.

I live in Quebec and I just paid my taxes last night... I feel particularly poor this morning (LOL). Especially after both the feds and the province failed to take off enough tax deductions on my maternity leave....*sigh*.

Everything looks great! :) Keep us updated on the Forest Fire digi. Mine lost the green skin soon after I got it and I've never been able to get it back.

Forest Fire digi still has its green skin so far. However, I don't find it to be as green as it was when I originally purchased it from a local hobbyest. Not sure if its my imagination or not.....

Forest Fire digi still has its green skin so far. However, I don't find it to be as green as it was when I originally purchased it from a local hobbyest. Not sure if its my imagination or not.....

There is some secret I'm missing to keep the green skin. It might need lower light but I'm just not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

There is some secret I'm missing to keep the green skin. It might need lower light but I'm just not sure.

Well, one of the pieces from the forest fire monti frag isn't doing so well (the polyps are not extending...), but the other piece is doing great and the green skin is still there. Its near the top middle of my tank, so I'm going to assume it can tolerate high light fairly well.

I got a few new additions from a fellow hobbyist yesterday. He was kind-enough to give me a more challenging coral frag - a Red Dragon acropora. Apparently it is a deep water acro, which needs less light and flow than my other acros. I put it near the bottom of the tank, where my mushrooms live. I hope it does OK. I'm a little nervous about this one.

I also got another unknown blue-green acro. I love it.

Last week, I got 2 new zoa frags as well. I don't know there names. I'm not geeky enough for zoa names, but they look great and they are pink-ish in color. I will have to share photos soon.

Otherwise, everything is going well, I got some chaeto from that same hobbyist that gave me the Red Dragon acro because my last chaeto ball in my back chamber turned into mush. I hope I have enough nutrients to keep it alive this time since I've toned down on the vinegar dosing.

PICS Here is my new Red Dragon deepwater acro:)

image.jpeg?imageId=67955

and here is the other mystery acro/sps that I just obtained :)

image.jpeg?imageId=67961

In other news, I got a new Arduino (the Yun) to update my arduino-controlled ATO. This time, I will be able to control my ATO remotely via wifi... YES, I LOVE TECHNOLOGY! :)

• 2 weeks later...

All is well with the tank!

I'm going to pick up some frags today - trading it for my old 20-gallon setup that has been collecting dust in my basement.

If any of you are from Ottawa, Canada or somewhere near by, I'm organizing a FRAG SWAP on April 28.

Message me for details!

I'm also looking for an aesthetically pleasing frag rack......if you have any suggestions, that would be AMAZING! :D

Hope you all had a great easter. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Frag swap was a success! I got an acan, zoas and 2 sps (I think one of them is a milli...the other, I have no idea yet!).

Pics to come! Help me ID those sps .. ;)

Archived