Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Snowy's 16 gallon - king feather duster lost his crown

Snowgrrl83

Keep up the great work! I'm picking up a CAD Lights Mini-II 18 gallon next week so I'm really glad I found your blog. Your tank looks fantastic.

How is the anemone doing? How long have you had it for? I want to get an RBTA. I had one in a 10 gallon rectangular tank and it did really well for several months until it decided to walk into my Koralia Nano 240gph power head while I was at work. It was devastating :(. I'm thinking of getting one for the new tank but I'm worried about the power heads, especially with then being so close.

Edit: just went through the rest of the thread and found out you've only had the anemone for four weeks. Keep an eye on it. I'm actually from Ottawa too and was over at Marinescape just the other day. The owner there said my anemone probably walked in when the power head was off (I have it hooked up to my Reefkeeper Lite and it turns my two koralias on/off to cause random motion). Good luck with your tank, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Edit again: I'm super excited for the new tank! I haven't been able to sleep the last couple of nights cause I'm so excited. I'm even more motivated now after seeing your thread and knowing you're from Ottawa too!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice FTS

Wow I hadn't noticed how nice this tank is I need to get a job and maybe ill end up coming home with a tank when the parents are distracted lol

The tank is only 2 months old.... I hope you start a NR thread when you sneak that tank in your place ;)

Keep up the great work! I'm picking up a CAD Lights Mini-II 18 gallon next week so I'm really glad I found your blog. Your tank looks fantastic.

How is the anemone doing? How long have you had it for? I want to get an RBTA. I had one in a 10 gallon rectangular tank and it did really well for several months until it decided to walk into my Koralia Nano 240gph power head while I was at work. It was devastating :(. I'm thinking of getting one for the new tank but I'm worried about the power heads, especially with then being so close.

Edit: just went through the rest of the thread and found out you've only had the anemone for four weeks. Keep an eye on it. I'm actually from Ottawa too and was over at Marinescape just the other day. The owner there said my anemone probably walked in when the power head was off (I have it hooked up to my Reefkeeper Lite and it turns my two koralias on/off to cause random motion). Good luck with your tank, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Edit again: I'm super excited for the new tank! I haven't been able to sleep the last couple of nights cause I'm so excited. I'm even more motivated now after seeing your thread and knowing you're from Ottawa too!

In my previous tank (a 20 gallon), i kept an RBTA for 4 years without any trouble, my pumps were always on. They don't tend to walk around after they've found a place they like. Walking around is a sign that something in their environment has changed and they want to find a good home/spot again. So maybe your pumps turned off and it was looking for a spot with a bit more flow, walked into the pump when it was off and then the pump turned on when it was in there :/

If you live in Ottawa, I highly recommend you join Aylmer Salty's group on facebook. Lots of knowledgeable people, frag trades and they are hosting a nano contest at the moment. Check it out. Just search Aylmer Salty's on facebook...all ottawa/gatineau reefkeepers. Also, the cadlights rep is a very active member of the aylmer salty's group and you can find him there if you ever have questions about your tank.

You'll love the new 18 gallon mini-ii. I wish i had the mini 2 (i have the older version, mini 1). The older version doesnt fit a skimmer, but the mini 2 can fit the pls 50 cadlights skimmer.

Gotcha! Hehe! Check out what I caught on my branching hammer coral at 1AM. Not sure what i will do with him yet. Ill either put him in the back chamber, give him to another local reefer or give him a ride on the porcelain express. What should i do?

D4D31997-EEDD-4D15-AA0E-1E261DCE5211_zps66024A5F-163C-46A4-A960-F50BF948D98A_zps

That is looking quite nice! Will be super when it's all filled in :)

Im so excited that you like my tank because your 12 gallon is such an inspiration to me :) your comment made my day :D

Gotcha! Hehe! Check out what I caught on my branching hammer coral at 1AM. Not sure what i will do with him yet. Ill either put him in the back chamber, give him to another local reefer or give him a ride on the porcelain express. What should i do?

D4D31997-EEDD-4D15-AA0E-1E261DCE5211_zps66024A5F-163C-46A4-A960-F50BF948D98A_zps

Start a pest tank!.. hehehe!

Start a pest tank!.. hehehe!

Update on my hitchhiker crab. I think he's a Mithrax crab. He is going in the back chamber of my tank, where there's chaeto, LR and plenty of detritus. I'm afraid he won't live too long in my Tupperware container and I just don't have the heart to flush him. In fact, I'm going to name him Goliath. I hope the reef gods don't punish me for naming him... I have a feeling I'm going to have nightmares of him making his way back into the display ;)

The tank is only 2 months old.... I hope you start a NR thread when you sneak that tank in your place ;)

In my previous tank (a 20 gallon), i kept an RBTA for 4 years without any trouble, my pumps were always on. They don't tend to walk around after they've found a place they like. Walking around is a sign that something in their environment has changed and they want to find a good home/spot again. So maybe your pumps turned off and it was looking for a spot with a bit more flow, walked into the pump when it was off and then the pump turned on when it was in there :/

If you live in Ottawa, I highly recommend you join Aylmer Salty's group on facebook. Lots of knowledgeable people, frag trades and they are hosting a nano contest at the moment. Check it out. Just search Aylmer Salty's on facebook...all ottawa/gatineau reefkeepers. Also, the cadlights rep is a very active member of the aylmer salty's group and you can find him there if you ever have questions about your tank.

You'll love the new 18 gallon mini-ii. I wish i had the mini 2 (i have the older version, mini 1). The older version doesnt fit a skimmer, but the mini 2 can fit the pls 50 cadlights skimmer.

You're probably right about the power heads. I think I'll give the anemone another try once the tank becomes more established.

I actually joined the Facebook group after reading your recommendation of it in another post! I wish I started my tank up earlier so I could join in on this contest. Maybe next year...

Glad you found the pest!

Ikr i lay in bed and just think about possible stock and equiptment or if I get the cad 8, 16, or 34

My lfs doesn't have the 34 though so I wouldn't be able to sneak it in lol especially when it shows up on our porch... Guess its 18 for me which isn't a bad thing but still wish I could have the bigger one... Time to msg lfs and have them order the 34 lol but first get a source of income since I'm 15 lol resume time.

You're probably right about the power heads. I think I'll give the anemone another try once the tank becomes more established.

I actually joined the Facebook group after reading your recommendation of it in another post! I wish I started my tank up earlier so I could join in on this contest. Maybe next year...

Glad you found the pest!

Feel free to participate in Aylmer Salty's discussions. You might notice me commenting often there. My first name is Marie-France.

Ikr i lay in bed and just think about possible stock and equiptment or if I get the cad 8, 16, or 34My lfs doesn't have the 34 though so I wouldn't be able to sneak it in lol especially when it shows up on our porch... Guess its 18 for me which isn't a bad thing but still wish I could have the bigger one... Time to msg lfs and have them order the 34 lol but first get a source of income since I'm 15 lol resume time.

Lol....yeah, not only is the tank, the sand, the salt, the powerheads, the rocks, expensive..but then you actually have to buy coral and fish to stock it up. My little tank is probably worth 1000+ Buckaroos and its just a nano. I don't know how people afford those 200 gallon tanks. Maybe get a pico. It might not be exactly what you want, but a second hand tank might be good for you - check kijiji regularly

Feel free to participate in Aylmer Salty's discussions. You might notice me commenting often there. My first name is Marie-France. Lol....yeah, not only is the tank, the sand, the salt, the powerheads, the rocks, expensive..but then you actually have to buy coral and fish to stock it up. My little tank is probably worth 1000+ Buckaroos and its just a nano. I don't know how people afford those 200 gallon tanks. Maybe get a pico. It might not be exactly what you want, but a second hand tank might be good for you - check kijiji regularly

Will do! I posted on the FB page, you can probably guess who I am. Maybe I'll join this little competition...but if the other tanks are anything like yours, I stand no chance! I'll use it as an excuse to build up the tank.

How's the DIY arduino ATO/controller coming along?

Will do! I posted on the FB page, you can probably guess who I am. Maybe I'll join this little competition...but if the other tanks are anything like yours, I stand no chance! I'll use it as an excuse to build up the tank.

How's the DIY arduino ATO/controller coming along?

The Arduino ATO is almost done. I'm just tinkering with some pump calibrations and I'll be posting about it in a few days.

Great to have you join Aylmer Salty's lol... You'll see, there are a few heated debates going on lately. Good times :)

I don't think I stand a chance in the nano contest either as a few guys that have a good coral collection are joining the contest...they also have some 10+ yrs experience on me. I just think it's a cool idea to showcase tanks and encourage LFS.

Have you been to GotFish in kanata yet?

The Arduino ATO is almost done. I'm just tinkering with some pump calibrations and I'll be posting about it in a few days.Great to have you join Aylmer Salty's lol... You'll see, there are a few heated debates going on lately. Good times :) I don't think I stand a chance in the nano contest either as a few guys that have a good coral collection are joining the contest...they also have some 10+ yrs experience on me. I just think it's a cool idea to showcase tanks and encourage LFS.Have you been to GotFish in kanata yet?

I haven't been there yet, it's too far away as I'm located in the Southkeys area. Kanata is the opposite end of town for me. I usually go to Aqua Valley but I think I might start going to marinescape...

Please post the controller when you're done!

I haven't been there yet, it's too far away as I'm located in the Southkeys area. Kanata is the opposite end of town for me. I usually go to Aqua Valley but I think I might start going to marinescape...

Please post the controller when you're done!

Aqua Valley has good selection. I just wish Az (the owner) wasn't so dry with me and wish he posted his prices.

Marinescape guys are super nice and they are incredibly knowledgeable and always willing to help.

Have you ever been to Rays?

I acquired a piece of Pocillopora today. I decided to shorten the base stock a bit and pressed a little too hard on one of the branches. Anyway, my newly acquired frag is now 3 frags. So, i glued the 2 other frags to plugs and decided to take a branch that had fallen from my bonsai coral a week ago while glueing at the same time and glue it to a frag. I'll have a couple of corals for sale in a few weeks :D. Im thinking ill leave them for 3-4 weeks to heal.

Here is the newly acquired frag ill be keeping.

84C7B83F-AA7F-4F11-A28B-77F372EC0184_zps

Yea, I've been to Ray's...not a fan. I find he's pretty rude and I don't like how you can't just drop by. He's incredibly unprofessional and I'm gonna be a little mean and just go ahead and show my disapproval of his attire. I don't particularly enjoy seeing his butt hang out of his dirty and baggy sweat pants lol.

Az is alright if you catch him on the right day haha but those seem to be a little rare.

Lol.. Yes, Ray is a special character. I've been to his place only twice in the past 5 years. He's never been rude to me and always been nice... But yes, his place is flat out dirtay (and he won't deny it). He is probably the closest to you geographically.

If you're ever on the Gatineau side, LaNiche has some saltwater stuff. Until recently, they only had one coral tank... But they've added a frag tank in the past few months so I'm planning on going there a but more. I like to get my stuff from a variety of locations. I like to talk to LFS owners and hobbyists and pick their brains on various subjects.

Count yourself lucky... You might have the "Asian Connection" with Az... Lol... I'm fortunate with the French connection. :)

Haha maybe. I didn't realize he was Asian. It's a bit hard to tell with him. I'll hook you up with this Asian connection if you share the French connection :P.

Btw, nice frag! Looking forward to the next FTS.

Haha maybe. I didn't realize he was Asian. It's a bit hard to tell with him. I'll hook you up with this Asian connection if you share the French connection :P.

Btw, nice frag! Looking forward to the next FTS.

Next FTS will be in about 2 weeks. I want to see noticeable progress ;).

Im starting to get scared. My fuge is full of nasties. Cyano, hair algae. Thankfully chaeto and calepra are still thriving. As long as these nasties dont spread to the display, we are golden. Im going to do a water change today and ease a little on the feeding for the next little while.

Im starting to think im going to need a reactor to lower the nutrients in my tank....or a nano skimmer? We'll see.

I have some red brown cyano showing up on the sand after 6 months..hmm I ordered dr tim's waste control, just started it today. I'm using it at half dose. I have no skimmer and don't plan on one any time soon. I'm also running phospur complete and 4 tablespoons of pura phoslock gfo in an aquaclear filter. (30 gallon tank) And I have a finnex hob refugilum with chaeto and sand and some rock rubble. I don't think chaeto alone is enough, the chaeto will bring the nitrates down, but not so much phosphates. I never had a hair algae prob, But gfo highly recommended in good flow. Tank looking sharp, love the pocilopora, which I am thinking I'd like for a center piece on top of my big rock.

Maybe you could run some phosphate removal media part time if the chaeto isn't keeping up. A nano skimmer would definitely help!

hmm if you're having hair algae problems I would definitely look into getting some GFO

I've been running passive GFO in my overflow back chamber since the beginning. Otherwise, I'd have to start thinking about a nano skimmer or a reactor that would fit in the tiny space within one of my back chambers. The dimension of the chambers are 5 inches x 3 inches x 16inches high.... Any recommendations?

I have some red brown cyano showing up on the sand after 6 months..hmm I ordered dr tim's waste control, just started it today. I'm using it at half dose. I have no skimmer and don't plan on one any time soon. I'm also running phospur complete and 4 tablespoons of pura phoslock gfo in an aquaclear filter. (30 gallon tank) And I have a finnex hob refugilum with chaeto and sand and some rock rubble. I don't think chaeto alone is enough, the chaeto will bring the nitrates down, but not so much phosphates. I never had a hair algae prob, But gfo highly recommended in good flow. Tank looking sharp, love the pocilopora, which I am thinking I'd like for a center piece on top of my big rock.

What does the Dr. Tims waste control do? I've heard good things about RedSea NOPOX but, running a skimmer is highly recommended since the phosphates and nitrates are turned into protein chains with NOPOX and thus skimmed out. I'll see your page in a few weeks to see how Dr. Tims works out for you.

Thanks for the kind words on the pocilopora and tank in general. Pocilopora is very nice - and apparently an easier SPS to keep.

Red sea's NOPO-X is basically the same as carbon dosing.

What you need is to remove the PO4 from your system permanently -- not bind it up in bacteria or something to be released back later on. NOPO-X works very well with a skimmer, but not so much without.

Do you just have the GFO sitting in a bag in your sump? GFO works at mamixum capacity when water is forced through the media, like in a media reactor or canister filter. If its just sitting in a bag in the sump most of the water just flows around the media.

Dr tim's, is recommended to run skimmerless for a few days or so, its a bacteria that eats waste, I've red good things about it, kind of takes a few weeks to work. There's some brown cyano on the sand that bothers me, kind of disappears after the daylights go out and actinics come on and gradually comes back after day lights on. So I' know its phosphates in the sand bed, none in the water column. I siphon on w/c and trying dr tim's becase I'm impatient. It not really a big deal and is common after the six month mark and hopefully with time will disappear. I could do the 3 day lights out I suppose but its not really that bad.

Red sea's NOPO-X is basically the same as carbon dosing.

What you need is to remove the PO4 from your system permanently -- not bind it up in bacteria or something to be released back later on. NOPO-X works very well with a skimmer, but not so much without.

Do you just have the GFO sitting in a bag in your sump? GFO works at mamixum capacity when water is forced through the media, like in a media reactor or canister filter. If its just sitting in a bag in the sump most of the water just flows around the media.

Yup, right now it's sitting in a bag about 2-3 inches under the overflow of my AIO back chamber. So there is some flow there but probably not much compared to a canister filter or reactor.

Looks like I might need a reactor or a skimmer. I'll see if this settles with less feeding as the only hair algae patch found is smaller than a dime. I have more cyano growth than anything, but it's all contained in my fuge at the moment and the display still looks impeccable.

Dr tim's, is recommended to run skimmerless for a few days or so, its a bacteria that eats waste, I've red good things about it, kind of takes a few weeks to work. There's some brown cyano on the sand that bothers me, kind of disappears after the daylights go out and actinics come on and gradually comes back after day lights on. So I' know its phosphates in the sand bed, none in the water column. I siphon on w/c and trying dr tim's becase I'm impatient. It not really a big deal and is common after the six month mark and hopefully with time will disappear. I could do the 3 day lights out I suppose but its not really that bad.

Yes, lights out would work temporarily, but if you're not removing the nutrients out, I think it will just come back with time. I also think that the type of light and flow affect cyano quite a bit. My fuge is pretty low flow and has a different light from the display, so that may explain why cyano is thriving there.

Archived