Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Snowy's 16 gallon - king feather duster lost his crown

Snowgrrl83

I got a new coral today. Montipora setosa. Its a small frag, but very pretty bright pink. I went to a new place in Ottawa called Inner City Reefs. Cool home-based place, clean and stacked with sps frags.

Love it. I think I'm addicted to sps. I hope I don't eventually kill them all. So far, so good.

I know, I should invest in a reactor or skimmer instead, but I'm afraid a skimmer or reactor will cramp my style (I like the clean look of my tank without some big reactor or skimmer sticking out of it. I know I'll probably need it eventually...lol.. Im probably going to wait until I have a hair algae or cyano disaster on my hands.... Spending my money on corals is so much more exciting to me.

Check out the new monti.

Also I've have gotten a few more ricordea floridas this week ;)

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/DC6443D2-643F-4CCB-9E93-AE4DBEF0780D_zpsh6jhfmjq.jpg.html'>DC6443D2-643F-4CCB-9E93-AE4DBEF0780D_zps

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm discovering all of these new LFS from you, it's great! How does Inner City Reefs compare to Marinescape or Aquavalley?

I've got my 18 gallon CAD Lights going! It's currently cycling so nothing exciting but check it out if you get a chance:
http://aquarist.me/xmai77/cad-lights-mini-ii-18-gallon

The CAD Lights PLS-50 skimmer is super slim. I'm going to get myself one once I start stocking the tank. I'm thinking I might spray paint the whole thing black so it blends in with my tank. The plan is to put a couple of narrow strips down the side of the collection cup so I can still see the skimmate but the paint will hide the majority of it.

I'm discovering all of these new LFS from you, it's great! How does Inner City Reefs compare to Marinescape or Aquavalley?

I've got my 18 gallon CAD Lights going! It's currently cycling so nothing exciting but check it out if you get a chance:http://aquarist.me/xmai77/cad-lights-mini-ii-18-gallon'>http://aquarist.me/xmai77/cad-lights-mini-ii-18-gallon

The CAD Lights PLS-50 skimmer is super slim. I'm going to get myself one once I start stocking the tank. I'm thinking I might spray paint the whole thing black so it blends in with my tank. The plan is to put a couple of narrow strips down the side of the collection cup so I can still see the skimmate but the paint will hide the majority of it.

You're sooo lucky, you have the mini-II and the CADlights pls-50 fits in the back chambers..... It doesn't fit in mine because i have the 18 gallon mini-1. :/ Good for you, i bet you're getting excited about stocking the tank! Where did you buy the tank? Painting it is a good idea. Let me know how that skimmer works out and how loud it is. I see that you are doing the eggcrate foam and rock trick as well! How many days has it been running for?

Inner City Reef is a home-based operation. The guy has multiple frag tanks . He's located in Barhaven. I dont think he sells any drygoods, just livestock.'Mostly sps dominated. He was friendly, helpful and his tanks are clean (and so is he, if we were to compare to Ray...lol). Good prices as he is home based. I dont know which descent he is from, but you may also have the Asian connection with him... ;)

You're sooo lucky, you have the mini-II and the CADlights pls-50 fits in the back chambers..... It doesn't fit in mine because i have the 18 gallon mini-1. :/ Good for you, i bet you're getting excited about stocking the tank! Where did you buy the tank? Painting it is a good idea. Let me know how that skimmer works out and how loud it is. I see that you are doing the eggcrate foam and rock trick as well! How many days has it been running for? Inner City Reef is a home-based operation. The guy has multiple frag tanks . He's located in Barhaven. I dont think he sells any drygoods, just livestock.'Mostly sps dominated. He was friendly, helpful and his tanks are clean (and so is he, if we were to compare to Ray...lol). Good prices as he is home based. I dont know which descent he is from, but you may also have the Asian connection with him... ;)

Ohhhh right! I forgot about you have the first version, sorry for gloating :P. There are other great skimmers that'll fit though...how big is the back chamber for your tank?

Eggcrate foam and rock trick? I was just drying the rocks on the eggcrate after I bleached/rinsed them lol. I didn't put any eggcrate on the bottom of my tank if that's what you mean. I did for my previous one but I decided not to this time.

cyano likes amber light so I reduced my colored led and increased my blue to about an 18k look from 10k., the dr tim seems to be working and after a 5 days I see an improvement, a small improvement every day from day 2. I don't know what it does for hair algae, I don't have any, but I think if you lower waste, its the answer to most issues. My xenia, which never grew much is presently wasting away. But it wasn't doing well up until I added the dr tim's anyway. I think it would have died anyway, mystery because everything else is doing well. So far so good with the dr tims

Great tank! Love the bubble tip. Very unique.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm excited about this tank...and I want everything to grow NOW!!!! :)

I'm not patient enough, so I keep on buying frags. At least the bubble tip is nice and big.

Ohhhh right! I forgot about you have the first version, sorry for gloating :P. There are other great skimmers that'll fit though...how big is the back chamber for your tank?

Eggcrate foam and rock trick? I was just drying the rocks on the eggcrate after I bleached/rinsed them lol. I didn't put any eggcrate on the bottom of my tank if that's what you mean. I did for my previous one but I decided not to this time.

Oh, I guess you haven't seen the egg crate and rock background that some of the aylmer salty members have been building. Check it out, its pretty cool... I'm hesitant to do such a thing though, because I might want to rescape at some point.

Theres always some heated topics on Aylmer Saltys lately...such a dramatic place!

cyano likes amber light so I reduced my colored led and increased my blue to about an 18k look from 10k., the dr tim seems to be working and after a 5 days I see an improvement, a small improvement every day from day 2. I don't know what it does for hair algae, I don't have any, but I think if you lower waste, its the answer to most issues. My xenia, which never grew much is presently wasting away. But it wasn't doing well up until I added the dr tim's anyway. I think it would have died anyway, mystery because everything else is doing well. So far so good with the dr tims

Hummm.. I *think* a lot of xenia prefer higher nutrients... who knows why its unhappy. It either grows like an invasive weed or doesn't grow at all...strange.

My hair algae and cyano seem to be subsiding with the water changes and a bit less feeding. I think its the fuge light that makes cyano and hair algae grow back there, its a white halogen light..... :)

I traded a piece of poccillopora for a hairy mushroom and a monti digitata. I have frag fever. I can't stop. Please help, this hobby is addictive. I'm starting to have trouble finding spaces for my frags.

I think I have a problem..oh and I got another piece of zoa too..but they haven't opened up yet.... still waiting.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/5C505465-3A09-414A-A702-D82C297E55BD_zpsrwmujkqh.jpg.html]5C505465-3A09-414A-A702-D82C297E55BD_zps[/url]

A099204A-6A3F-414A-A282-5C90D1D617C0_zps

Thanks for the kind words! I'm excited about this tank...and I want everything to grow NOW!!!! :)

I'm not patient enough, so I keep on buying frags. At least the bubble tip is nice and big.

Oh, I guess you haven't seen the egg crate and rock background that some of the aylmer salty members have been building. Check it out, its pretty cool... I'm hesitant to do such a thing though, because I might want to rescape at some point.

Theres always some heated topics on Aylmer Saltys lately...such a dramatic place!

Hummm.. I *think* a lot of xenia prefer higher nutrients... who knows why its unhappy. It either grows like an invasive weed or doesn't grow at all...strange.

My hair algae and cyano seem to be subsiding with the water changes and a bit less feeding. I think its the fuge light that makes cyano and hair algae grow back there, its a white halogen light..... :)

Frags will definitely grow just look at my tank progression.

I traded a piece of poccillopora for a hairy mushroom and a monti digitata. I have frag fever. I can't stop. Please help, this hobby is addictive. I'm starting to have trouble finding spaces for my frags.

I think I have a problem..oh and I got another piece of zoa too..but they haven't opened up yet.... still waiting.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/5C505465-3A09-414A-A702-D82C297E55BD_zpsrwmujkqh.jpg.html]5C505465-3A09-414A-A702-D82C297E55BD_zps[/url]

A099204A-6A3F-414A-A282-5C90D1D617C0_zps

lol is it already time for an upgrade? :P

Snowy, what do you keep in the overflow chamber? Do you have a media basket? Just curious...mine came with a really long sponge and I'm not sure what to do with it lol. I just kept the whole thing in there...

I only kept the sponge to get rid of the detritus that was flying around the tank after I put some water in. I took it out (gently not to stir up the sediment too much) after 48 hours. I don't have the sponge in my tank. I don't have a media basket. I have some small tonga live rock pieces in the overflow chamber and I set a media bag with a tbsp of GFO and a tbsp of carbon on top and make sure that the water flows through the media bag. (so the rock has branches sticking up and the media bag sits on these 2 tiny branches and so I make sure that the water can easily flow in and out of the media bag.

Cool tank I like!

Thanks. Love your 40B hanging off the wall... Awesome setup. You should get some high stools, a glass top and eat dinner over your tank ;)

I gave in and ordered a tunze DOC 9002 skimmer. I dont know if ill use it all the time, but i figure its good to have a skimmer kicking around just in case :P

I just noticed bugs on my bonsai acro. I've been noticing that it hasn't been having great polyp extension and I was wondering why. I think I found why!! :( Here is a crappy picture of the bug (circled) taken with my iPhone. I dipped the coral in Revive shortly after noticing and taking this picture. After 10 min dip, I put it back in the tank and noticed a bunch of these bugs running around on the acro. I guess it didn't really kill them. I'll have to dip my bonsai weekly, I think.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/5FD0E4B4-E9B0-4F63-819A-D73EC9197369_zpswntejbop.jpg.html'>5FD0E4B4-E9B0-4F63-819A-D73EC9197369_zps

I don't think revive kills red bugs!!!? Maybe set up a cheap qt tank for corals (can't use the same one as fish cuz copper kills corals)

I don't think revive kills red bugs!!!? Maybe set up a cheap qt tank for corals (can't use the same one as fish cuz copper kills corals)

I def stuns some of the red bugs as they fall off the frag when dipped but isnt as effective as interceptor. Im not going to setup a cheap qt. Redbugs rarely kill coral unless they really get out of hand... And theyll only kill smooth skin acros. It would cost me more to setup a qt then the frags are worth. I only have 2 smooth acros. Ill just keep doing weekly dips on the affected frag until i dont see them anymore and get good polyp extension.

Looking very good! Sorry bout the bugs.

Thanks :D as for the bugs, $ht happens.. I'll never inspect an sps the same way ever again :P

Version 1.0 of Arduino-controlled ATO is installed. Theres still a few things that need to be done 1-label the controller switches 2-mount the float switch in a sturdier fashion 3-replace brass pipe fittings with PVC fittings 4-get real time clock battery to hook up fuge light 5-fix switch relay because my LCD display is getting some weird messages due to some crappy relays I ordered from China.

Here is a little video of my DIY Arduino ATO controller. I wanted to keep the video short....so I left out lots of details

Nice. I'm auto topping off manually. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem but I might get the jbj kit from reefsupply.ca eventually. I just watch the water level and top off as needed. Bu ya congrats on figuring it all out. btw, dr tim's waste control is really doing a fine job, less and less brown stuff on my sand bed, and today none. I did a half dose, first time, 15ml, and a bit more 2 caps after last w/c and its all gone. I don't know what's in it, but I had no issues, so its all good with just 2 doses. I plan on a cap and a half once per week now. Just sayin. Happy weekend.

Amazing! Now I'm debating between Dr Tims and Red Sea NOPOX. I got a skimmer that fits in my back chamber yesterday - Tunze 9002. I haven't turned it on yet since I'm away for the weekend and won't be there to adjust it. I wouldn't want it to overflow for the weekend. The ATO is really convenient for when you leave the house for a couple of days :) my corals will love me.

Nice. I'm auto topping off manually. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem but I might get the jbj kit from reefsupply.ca eventually. I just watch the water level and top off as needed. Bu ya congrats on figuring it all out. btw, dr tim's waste control is really doing a fine job, less and less brown stuff on my sand bed, and today none. I did a half dose, first time, 15ml, and a bit more 2 caps after last w/c and its all gone. I don't know what's in it, but I had no issues, so its all good with just 2 doses. I plan on a cap and a half once per week now. Just sayin. Happy weekend.

Got more rics too! Pics on Monday!

As promised, pics.

Here are my mushroom gardens in progress.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/07523C6D-6B24-4A32-BF47-87EA6F941B36_zpstq6ksqtn.jpg.html'>07523C6D-6B24-4A32-BF47-87EA6F941B36_zps

This hairy mushroom is GINORMOUS!

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/EB051E14-9466-4611-8B73-A65A6A9CB23B_zpsikbcq5eh.jpg.html'>EB051E14-9466-4611-8B73-A65A6A9CB23B_zps

In other news, instead of trying NOPOX, I've decided to go with another form of carbon dosing... dosing vinegar!!

Hoping this helps me fight my fuge nasties issue. Started today by adding 0.4mL of white vinegar to my tank. My new skimmer Tunze 9002 is working fabulously.

Archived