SaltCritters.com

Snowy's 16 gallon - king feather duster lost his crown

Snowgrrl83

Hi SnowLady,

nice tank. Have you thought about switching salts to something with more calcium? Kent Reef Salt, if available in your area, has a ton of calcium and very high magnesium. Makes things a bit easier in the long run.

Yes, I've thought of changing salts. However, I still have 2/3 to 1/2 bucket left of IO and i don't want to waste it (i will, however probably end up spending more money on supplementing this salt than buying a new high quality bucket.) ive been told that switching to a higher grade salt will increase the nutrients in my tank... And i dont have a skimmer nor reactors, so it sort of scared me off. Ill def consider switching salts when i get closer to the bottom of this IO bucket thought (when i have 1/4 left) and slowly transition to it..

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi SnowLady,

nice tank. Have you thought about switching salts to something with more calcium? Kent Reef Salt, if available in your area, has a ton of calcium and very high magnesium. Makes things a bit easier in the long run.

I gave in and bought a small bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro. Didn't see any Kent marine salt at the LFS.

Love your tank :wub:

Thanks, I'm still not in love with it yet. I think it's the rocks that I have that I don't like, but I'm too cheap to replace them.

Maybe if I smother them in corals and frags I'll start liking them :D

On the bright side,

My params are coming together

Calcium 450

Alk 9 dKH

Magnesium 1400

That's good the parameters are lining up, are you using 3 part or just salts,

Technically, 3 part. Kent turbo calcium and tropic marin bio-magnesium to boost my base IO salt and then tropic marin bio-calcium to dose the tank in a daily basis.

Ive ordered the materials for my Arduino controlled ATO! Now i wait to receive it all.

I got the aqualifter pump with some tubing from my LFS ($20)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquatics_Aqua_Lifter_Dosing_Pump_Accessories_for_Aquarium_Overflow_Boxes-Tom_Aquatics-OE1137-FIOFOA-vi.html

I got 2 float switches from http://www.autotopoff.com ($18...$9 each)

I ordered the rest of the materials from far far away.

Here: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/

Arduino $30

Grove - Relay (COM22639P) $2.90

Wall Adapter Power Supply - 9VDC 1A (POW06183B) $3.90

Grove - Universal 4 Pin Buckled 40cm Cable (5 PCs Pack) (ACC83056O) $3.90

LCD 20*4 Characters - White back light (LCD108B6B) $9.90

I'll have a computer-controlled ATO for $89 that will be able to be expanded into a full reef controller system.

Otherwise, i got another ric mushroom for my tank today :D

For those of you that are wondering what an Arduino is, I should explain, as I didn't know what an Arduino was not long ago.

An Arduino is basically a chip that is a small computer. It can receive input and outputs. Basically, if you have a software developer geek at home (as my husband and father-in-law), they can write the software for your Arduino to do all sorts of things. For ex, this Arduino will receive a signal when the float switch turns on to top up the aquarium. Now, if the Arduino senses that the pump is on too long than it should to top off the tank, it will shut off the pump. This will ensure a fail-safe system to avoid flooding should something go wrong and the float switch not turning itself off to indicate that the tank no longer needs top off water. Also, the Arduino can add top off delays so that I can eventually turn it into a dosing system.

Not only can the Arduino be used as an ATO or doser, but all sorts of probes can be added to monitor things like pH, temperature, etc. essentially, an Arduino, with the right software written for it can create a whole reef-controller system with time if I would want to expand it.

My clown is not doing well, I got him about a month ago. He is a regular ocellaris that I found with unique markings. He was eating fine when I got him. But stopped eating not too long afterwards... Then his eating was sporadic and he hung out in the corner of the tank. Although he was still alive this evening, this is what he looked like

F0394FE8-D037-431F-A2E4-C5855C6F3418_zps

Is he gasping?

Yup. I can't find him in the tank anymore... Maybe the pistol shrimp got him

I think he's really dead now. I wonder if it was brooknylla (sp?)

Well how much surface agitation or oxygenation do you have. Do you have more fish

I have lots of surface agitation (with a surface skimming, a koralia nano and a koralia 1 point slightly upwards) pH is fine. (8.2). No reason why ammonia or nitrite should be up as the tank was cycle a while ago. This clownfish had stopped eating shortly after I had gotten him and had stringy poop.

My two other fish, watchmen goby and royal gramma are healthy and happy.

It could be an internal parasite

I figure that's what happened to the poor lil thing. Now I'm wondering if this internal parasite could stay dormant in my tank or if it's safe to get another fish.

That I don't know, who knows maybe it wasn't an internal parasite but that's my guess

That's my guess too. Best thing to do is wait a month before getting another fish.

I don't know if you said this but is the clown gone now or still sick.

Gone. Pistol shrimp kidnapped him right after I took that picture. I was going to fish him out but the shrimp got to him before I did!

In other news, I'm starting to get coralline algae. Tank isnt quite 2 months yet, but this is great news! :D check out the specs of purple on my koralia 1.

F80A94CC-65F8-4584-BC82-27CCD34B9256_zps

Sorry about your clown :( that sucks.

Shit happens. I dont know if I'll buy a clown again.... Maybe a different kind of fish.

The ric does look a bit bleached.

Sorry about the clown. :( I love clowns!

Yes, the seller i got it from was a bit neglectful (the ric). Good thing i got a good price on it.

Archived