Pod Your Reef

Snowy's 16 gallon - king feather duster lost his crown

Snowgrrl83

So I figured out why my clown had stopped eating. I've been noticing my royal gramma picking on my new juvenile clown. I'm guessing the bullying and the stress had caused him to stop eating. He now eats, but he is very nervous of the royal gramma. Anyone have any ideas to stop the bullying?

Buying an RBTA was in the plans for my clown, but I figured I would get one early in order to protect my little occelaris clown. I got the 'fire orange' BTA from a local hobbyist that had advertised for sale. I got it yesterday. It looks awesome, but def doesn't look "fire orange" under my lights. My clown isn't hosting it...yet. Hopefully it will in a couple of days? weeks? months? will it ever host it? LOL...

Check out the new nem. It hasn't walk around the tank too much it maybe moved an inch since I got it 24 hours ago...already happy? Maybe.

DECC24BA-6EE3-4926-A40E-544C0AE980B0_zps

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My tank has contracted crabs. I saw the little legs of some type of foreign crab peek out of one piece of my LR this evening. Mission is to trap him in a mason jar. I've put some fish food granules in the bottom of the mason jar andset it right by where I aw the crab. Hopefully it will crawl out of its burrow tonight and into my trap and won't be able to crawl out! Here goes!!

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/E7393F1B-B2C3-454B-B94C-CBD60182F159_zps402hzqwj.jpg.html'>E7393F1B-B2C3-454B-B94C-CBD60182F159_zps

Ive already guven up on catching my mystery hitchiker crab. I figured ill take action once i see him harassing my corals or becoming a true nuissance, otherwise i wont worry as leaving fish food to rot in a mason jar overnight probably isnt the best thing for my water quality. I'm thinking it might even be a brittle star

Here is a blurry pic I took with nearly full moonlight..try to ID.. LOL

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/1982a607-bb3c-436b-a81d-abfb25ca4a45_zpsc1fd4204.jpg.html'>1982a607-bb3c-436b-a81d-abfb25ca4a45_zps

So i got these 3 zoa frags about a month ago. They were all doing great until yesterday when one of my zoa frags stopped opening. This one wont open as often but not it wont open at all. Here is pic...why wont you open zoa frag? Is it the birdsnest that ive installed beside you?

E5F9E9A9-1534-499E-BF16-413483408CE6_zps

So I figured out why my clown had stopped eating. I've been noticing my royal gramma picking on my new juvenile clown. I'm guessing the bullying and the stress had caused him to stop eating. He now eats, but he is very nervous of the royal gramma. Anyone have any ideas to stop the bullying? Buying an RBTA was in the plans for my clown, but I figured I would get one early in order to protect my little occelaris clown. I got the 'fire orange' BTA from a local hobbyist that had advertised for sale. I got it yesterday. It looks awesome, but def doesn't look "fire orange" under my lights. My clown isn't hosting it...yet. Hopefully it will in a couple of days? weeks? months? will it ever host it? LOL... Check out the new nem. It hasn't walk around the tank too much it maybe moved an inch since I got it 24 hours ago...already happy? Maybe. DECC24BA-6EE3-4926-A40E-544C0AE980B0_zps

Sweet photo!!.. Love it.. btw my RG was a butthead for a minute, but now he and the yellow clown goby are best buddies!! Go figure?

All my zoa frags are opening again and I just purchased another zoa frag today.

I also entered a local nano reef contest! YAY! There are some super good reefers in that group of people, so I don't think I'll be anywhere close to winning the contest but I think it will be a great learning opportunity and a great way to expose different techniques and local businesses.

That being said, my params need to improve. My calcium is still low (around 380-390) and I want to raise it. My alk seems to be stable even with the addition of bio-calcium (which is supposed to raise the alk in equal parts) I've been trying to do so with daily doses of Tropic Marin bio-calcium. My magnesium is also low, somewhere between 1100 and 1200. Therefore today, I purchased Tropic Marin bio-magnesium.

I'm hoping that dosing these will slowly bring my water to optimum coral growing parameters. :D

OK, its time to get down to business.

I'm going to attempt a DIY project.

Yup, this is breaking ground for me as I am so not a DIY kind of girl! Mouhahahahaha.

Thankfully, I'm getting the help if my father in-law. He's worked in the software industry for many years and has a degree in chemistry. He also enjoys automating his house, therefore he was the perfect candidate to help me build a DIY ATO!! Woohoo!

This is where it gets interesting.

The ATO will be managed by my computer via an Arduino Uno (yup, Snowy is going to get tech).

http://www.adafruit.com/products/50 ($30)

I'm helping find the appropriate materials and some ideas while my hubby and father-in-law will take care of the computer/software side of things.

As it is, we are looking for the appropriate water level sensor. As it is, the simplest answer is the i-float switch.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/ifloatfloatswitch.html ($7 x 2 = $14)

Although a more accurate sensor may be available somewhere.

As for the pump, we are looking at something just strong enough to pump the water up (around 75gph).

http://www.bigalspets.ca/micropump-104.html ($22)

A few more things are needed such as tubing, the relay and the skin for the arduino, but I'm assuming they will be minimal cost (less than $50).

This gives me a pretty cool ATO for under $150

Father-in-law has built this diagram of the ATO in mind.

ATOforAquarium_zps9bc129bd.png

I'm on the magnesium hunt. I recently dumped nearly 100 mg/l worth of bio-magnesium in my tank in about 48 hours, which was agonizing it itself, because the bottle recommends that you only increase magnesium by 20 mg/l per day.

However, when I tested my magnesium today, it didn't go up, if at all. :unsure: I'm still sitting between 1100 and 1200.

My magnesium test kit is a seachem kit. The reference solution is testing fine at 1100 mg/l.

I don't know if the test kit is expired. I bought it off another reefer that was getting out of the hobby.

I don't feel like buying another test kit. I sent Seachem an e-mail to see if they can help me out.

Should I try and keep on increasing my magnesium?

I use regular plain jane Instant Ocean salt, which is supposed to have low magnesium anyway.... I think I'll keep on trying to increase my magnesium and see if theres any change in a few days. I hope this doesn't shock my system as I'm not sure what increasing my magnesium like this will do to my tank inhabitants! :scarry:

I'm on the magnesium hunt. I recently dumped nearly 100 mg/l worth of bio-magnesium in my tank in about 48 hours, which was agonizing it itself, because the bottle recommends that you only increase magnesium by 20 mg/l per day.

However, when I tested my magnesium today, it didn't go up, if at all. :unsure: I'm still sitting between 1100 and 1200.

My magnesium test kit is a seachem kit. The reference solution is testing fine at 1100 mg/l.

I don't know if the test kit is expired. I bought it off another reefer that was getting out of the hobby.

I don't feel like buying another test kit. I sent Seachem an e-mail to see if they can help me out.

Should I try and keep on increasing my magnesium?

I use regular plain jane Instant Ocean salt, which is supposed to have low magnesium anyway.... I think I'll keep on trying to increase my magnesium and see if theres any change in a few days. I hope this doesn't shock my system as I'm not sure what increasing my magnesium like this will do to my tank inhabitants! :scarry:

Looks like my purple tip acro frag bleached yesterday :( RTN.

In other news, clownfish still not hosting the RBTA and still being chased by Royal Gramma.

Ive already guven up on catching my mystery hitchiker crab. I figured ill take action once i see him harassing my corals or becoming a true nuissance, otherwise i wont worry as leaving fish food to rot in a mason jar overnight probably isnt the best thing for my water quality. I'm thinking it might even be a brittle star

Here is a blurry pic I took with nearly full moonlight..try to ID.. LOL

1982a607-bb3c-436b-a81d-abfb25ca4a45_zps

Crab-hunting almost drove me insane. The little %^&*$# wouldn't go in and it drove me mad. Hope its a brittle star!

Took a few pics this morning.

My single-headed acan lord.

499FF1A8-3510-4E27-AF9B-0E5D1685D0E6_zps

I think this might be my favourite coral…although maybe not the best photo.

Pink Birdsnest

05DB9BEE-2CD4-46EE-BF68-720D85F090C0_zps

Today's FTS:

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/DDF9E7D9-C0BA-4E06-AEA6-67A7602FA023_zpsmaigycgq.jpg.html'>DDF9E7D9-C0BA-4E06-AEA6-67A7602FA023_zps

Still increasing my magnesium levels. I've been noticing my salinity creeping up too. This is probably because I've been adding magnesium topoff water. I need to replace a bit of that salty stuff from some fresh water.

Joke is on me. After measuring my tank, 16 x 16 x 16 and calculating its volume today, I realized that this is a 16 gallon tank as opposed to the 18 gallons I was told it was supposed to be. Not super upset, but a little surprised!

Crab-hunting almost drove me insane. The little %^&*$# wouldn't go in and it drove me mad. Hope its a brittle star!

Im pretty sure it is a brittle star...since I haven't spotted body of the so-called crab legs.

Oops!!!!

:furious: I know, I feel a lil jipped.

I like your rocks and your bta. Starting to wish I had one.. or a million.

Thanks. I'm not that crazy about my rockwork and I was thinking of rescaping until your comment came up B)

Today, I bought some turbo cal to increase the calcium in my tank.

I also got a feather duster and 2 ricordea yuma mushrooms :wub:

I'm having trouble getting my magnesium where I'd like it. I seem to be stuck around 1200. Close though. I'm going to try and increase mag and calcium but let the alk be for a few days.... We'll see where it takes me.

As it stands

Alk: 10.5 dKH

Calcium 360 ppm

Magnesium: 1225 ppm.

ehhh I never tried to balance that or dose for it really. As long as you do good water changes with a decent salt your trace elements should stay at ok levels. Plus you don't really run the risk of over dosing anything. Personally I think that a good water change is easier than constantly dosing/testing.

I think it's only really important if you have a ton of SPS sucking the Mg/Ca out of the water column.

Goal of the day: keep my hands physically out of my tank. Ive already stuck them in there multiple times just this morning. To reglue a frag.... To place my feather duster where it won't move... And to move one of those new ricordeas in a more shaded spot a liil further frm the nem. Now seriously, i need to let the tank just be now... Its so hard keeping my hands out of there!

ehhh I never tried to balance that or dose for it really. As long as you do good water changes with a decent salt your trace elements should stay at ok levels. Plus you don't really run the risk of over dosing anything. Personally I think that a good water change is easier than constantly dosing/testing. I think it's only really important if you have a ton of SPS sucking the Mg/Ca out of the water column.
Here is the problem. My waterchange salt IO is calcium 340, alk 10 dKH and mag 975. If i keep it that way, i see no growth and sps die.

hows the reef scene in ottowa my buddy lives here and used to have a tank in baltimore
There is a very vibrant reefer community in Ottawa. Namely Aylmer Salty's (you can find them on Facebook). There are a few LFS too (Id say 3 or 4 decent ones). In fact, Aylmer saltys is hosting a nano contest ATM. Entry til Jan 1st or 15th, not sure.

well i am currently in possession of his tank since he moved back to canada, hes mostly in toronto now but i visit ottowa here and there and wanted to check out some LFS

well i am currently in possession of his tank since he moved back to canada, hes mostly in toronto now but i visit ottowa here and there and wanted to check out some LFS

Check out Got Fish? In Kanata. 501 Hazeldean. Thats the new cool store in town.

There is also Marinescape that is good and has been around for a long while.

Otherwise, AquaValley, in the East end has a good selection of livestock, but the owner is not the friendliest you'll ever meet.

If you're looking for good prices, Rays Aquarium is home-based (check out ovas.ca for his coordinates).

Big Al's is the equivalent of Petco. They have a wide selection of dry goods but i wouldn't even look at their livestock.

Thats pretty much it in Ottawa, I think. There is also La Niche on the quebec side. They have some livestock, but they sell more dry goods.

If youre looking to trade frags and get into the salty community though for the Ottawa area. Def check out Aylmer Salty's group on Facebook.

Well, I managed to bump up my magnesium to 1350-1375 today :) Hurray! My Calcium was sitting pretty at 400, so that will be bumped up a bit in the next day or so and my Alk was at 9.5. Getting close to having the tank params all balanced :D

Fed cyclopeeze today... everyone loves cyclopeeze, even the pistol shrimp. My clownfish still seems a little depressed as he wasn't eating very much (if at all.) I think he's still getting picked on by the royal gramma. That clown still hasn't figured out what its supposed to do with that nem either.

I caught my very elusive pistol shrimp WITHOUT his yellow watchmen goby :)

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/snowgrrl83/media/66E0C606-91AB-43EE-97D7-BA6ECD0F4ED7_zpsxa00mrjo.jpg.html'>66E0C606-91AB-43EE-97D7-BA6ECD0F4ED7_zps

Hi SnowLady,

nice tank. Have you thought about switching salts to something with more calcium? Kent Reef Salt, if available in your area, has a ton of calcium and very high magnesium. Makes things a bit easier in the long run.

Archived