Top Shelf Aquatics

My Flower Box

gena

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's so pretty - I need a bigger tank so I can have more fish :)

Yes you do! omgomgomg

woah! How did I miss this thread?? This reef is beautiful! I love it.

Thanks! Believe it or not, this tank is harder to maintain than the big one LOL. Ruby was JUST on the turquoise trumpets and the color contrast of turquoise and red was outstanding :wub:. I tried to get a photo and she ran away :angry:.

:lol:

I love this tank!! Hey, what the orange coral that looks like a toadstool in the center, to the left of the trumpets?

post-87057-0-26225700-1428634458_thumb.jpg

I love this tank!! Hey, what the orange coral that looks like a toadstool in the center, to the left of the trumpets?

attachicon.gifIMG_9347_zps47147cfa.jpg

It's a red mushroom. They are always stretching like that. I guess they need more light, but they aren't getting it :lol:.

It's a red mushroom. They are always stretching like that. I guess they need more light, but they aren't getting it :lol:.

It looks really cool like that, actually!!

Cameron6796

Didn't your light need repair??? Is that why they are stretching because the new light is off the tank and the old one is one currently it's been a few weeks since I've been NR so I've missed a ton

Didn't your light need repair??? Is that why they are stretching because the new light is off the tank and the old one is one currently it's been a few weeks since I've been NR so I've missed a ton

The fan went out on it but it's been replaced and it's back on the tank. I think they are stretching because they are cramped! The green trumpets to the left, the ochtodes above and the rock flower to the right. They just really need a bigger tank :D.

So this tank is having a bit of trouble :(. Remember when I left all the power off for 6 hours a couple of weeks ago?

Well, I thought all was ok. But it wasn't. My fish came down with ich :(. I didn't take action right away. They were able to beat it off the first attack.

The second attack has been more fierce and I moved all the fish out of the tank and into quarantine for hyposalinity. So far I've lost

the masked goby. My sweet little green clown goby will probably go next. He looks terrible. My salinity is at 1.018 so if he can

hold on till I get it to 1.009 he might get through this. He finally stopped eating yesterday. Before that his appetite was normal. He's a fatty so maybe he has some

reserves. I'm not holding out much hope for him though. The blue neon looks bad too but not as bad as the green clown goby. Ruby the dragonet shows no signs

of disease but I took her out anyways so I can let the DT go fishless for 8 weeks.

I haven't had any catastrophes for a long time...I was overdue!

Oh...and the only fish I'm putting back into this tank is Ruby the dragonet. If I can cure the others, I'm going to turn them into the LFS. Maybe get Ruby a mate. Not sure.

jedimasterben

Oh noes :(

IMHO I wouldn't get another dragonet - when they go to spawn, they won't have the height to do their rise and they might jump out :o

Thanks you guys :flower:. Green clown goby passed in the night :(. He was as fat and healthy as could be too :(. Darn parasites.

Of course it's all my fault. Too many fish in an 8g tank. Low oxygen from no running pumps.

Oh noes :(

IMHO I wouldn't get another dragonet - when they go to spawn, they won't have the height to do their rise and they might jump out :o

You're right, Ben. As always :flower:.

You know everything so I'm directing this to you Ben (and anyone else that knows please chime in) so most likely the neon goby isn't going to survive. She's covered and has them in the gills too since she's breathing fast. Do I keep Ruby in hyposalinity if the neon passes?

Right now I see no issues with her and she's eating normally. I read they can still get ich it's just not as common for them. I don't think copper is safe with dragonets. What should I do?????

She's eating live blackworms in quarantine but there are no pods in there. I suppose I could drop a worm in a few times a day. She'll only eat one or two at a time before she's full of them. But my concern is her starving in QT. What would you do?

jedimasterben

Thanks you guys :flower:. Green clown goby passed in the night :(. He was as fat and healthy as could be too :(. Darn parasites.

Of course it's all my fault. Too many fish in an 8g tank. Low oxygen from no running pumps.

You're right, Ben. As always :flower:.

You know everything so I'm directing this to you Ben (and anyone else that knows please chime in) so most likely the neon goby isn't going to survive. She's covered and has them in the gills too since she's breathing fast. Do I keep Ruby in hyposalinity if the neon passes?

Right now I see no issues with her and she's eating normally. I read they can still get ich it's just not as common for them. I don't think copper is safe with dragonets. What should I do?????

She's eating live blackworms in quarantine but there are no pods in there. I suppose I could drop a worm in a few times a day. She'll only eat one or two at a time before she's full of them. But my concern is her starving in QT. What would you do?

The ich cysts will still be alive and well in the display - takes a couple of months for them to all die out (28 days for the shortest strains, 72 days for 99% of all strains, 96 days is the longest I've heard of being recorded). The fish will need to stay in hyposalinity for at least 28 days, but it would be best to keep it there for the entire time that your display is fallow. Then slowly (over a week or so) raise the salinity back up to where the display is kept.

They don't NEED pods to survive, IMHO, but they do need to eat something. If you can get it eating mysis, pellets, cyclops, etc, it would be good.

The ich cysts will still be alive and well in the display - takes a couple of months for them to all die out (28 days for the shortest strains, 72 days for 99% of all strains, 96 days is the longest I've heard of being recorded). The fish will need to stay in hyposalinity for at least 28 days, but it would be best to keep it there for the entire time that your display is fallow. Then slowly (over a week or so) raise the salinity back up to where the display is kept.

They don't NEED pods to survive, IMHO, but they do need to eat something. If you can get it eating mysis, pellets, cyclops, etc, it would be good.

Ok...that's what I'll do. I'll go at least 72 days. As far as food for Ruby, I'll drop a worm in a few times a day. They are easy to get out if she doesn't eat them. She usually only wants one or two at a time.

Thanks for the help!

Oh gena, sorry about your fishy woes :( I remember getting ich in my 135 freshwater and losing a ton of cardinals. Really sucks :(

Good luck with Ruby and getting her to continue eating.

Archived