Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Flower Box

gena

Ahh, Gena I feel so bad. It's always the risk with these tanks that something will tip the scales and cause a set back but it is alway crappy when it happens. Even after maintenancing tanks for other people and telling them to leave them self a margin for error, what did I go and do with my own tank? I kept 2 of my baby seahorses and now have the tank stocked twice as full as conventional wisdom dictates! I rationalize by telling myself that the 36g reef tank is helping since they are tied together. I always have it in the back of my head that I am flirting with disaster though! :-(

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fan went out on it but it's been replaced and it's back on the tank. I think they are stretching because they are cramped! The green trumpets to the left, the ochtodes above and the rock flower to the right. They just really need a bigger tank :D.

So this tank is having a bit of trouble :(. Remember when I left all the power off for 6 hours a couple of weeks ago?

Well, I thought all was ok. But it wasn't. My fish came down with ich :(. I didn't take action right away. They were able to beat it off the first attack.

The second attack has been more fierce and I moved all the fish out of the tank and into quarantine for hyposalinity. So far I've lost

the masked goby. My sweet little green clown goby will probably go next. He looks terrible. My salinity is at 1.018 so if he can

hold on till I get it to 1.009 he might get through this. He finally stopped eating yesterday. Before that his appetite was normal. He's a fatty so maybe he has some

reserves. I'm not holding out much hope for him though. The blue neon looks bad too but not as bad as the green clown goby. Ruby the dragonet shows no signs

of disease but I took her out anyways so I can let the DT go fishless for 8 weeks.

I haven't had any catastrophes for a long time...I was overdue!

Oh...and the only fish I'm putting back into this tank is Ruby the dragonet. If I can cure the others, I'm going to turn them into the LFS. Maybe get Ruby a mate. Not sure.

aww. So sorry to hear this.

Oh gena, sorry about your fishy woes :( I remember getting ich in my 135 freshwater and losing a ton of cardinals. Really sucks :(

Good luck with Ruby and getting her to continue eating.

So far so good...she's continuing to eat. I fed her three times today and each time she ate 2 worms bigger than herself LOL. The neon still won't eat but she is spunkier today. Maybe the lowered salinity is already helping. I'm not quite at the low point I need to be. I'm sitting at 1.015 and need to get to 1.009. Should be there Wednesday morning!

Ahh, Gena I feel so bad. It's always the risk with these tanks that something will tip the scales and cause a set back but it is alway crappy when it happens. Even after maintenancing tanks for other people and telling them to leave them self a margin for error, what did I go and do with my own tank? I kept 2 of my baby seahorses and now have the tank stocked twice as full as conventional wisdom dictates! I rationalize by telling myself that the 36g reef tank is helping since they are tied together. I always have it in the back of my head that I am flirting with disaster though! :-(

I was a fool :(. Thought I could overstock my tank and be just fine. Actually I WAS fine, keeping up with maintenance, etc, but didn't account for the possible brain fart that could destroy LOL. Poor fish.

I've learned a lesson for sure though. In fact, I canceled my order with Unique Corals for some gobies I was waiting on to be in stock. This is for my other tank. I'm afraid to overload that one now.

So as I said, both remaining fish are still alive. The neon still has spots and isn't eating but she seems to have more energy. Ruby is still looking in the clear. I just hope this hyposalinity isn't too stressful for her.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ruby reminds me of my Kole tang jelly bean, a new fish that quickly becomes your favorite, hides a lot but when he/she comes out it is awesome, and surprising hardy. Maybe I should get one ;). (But the wrasse would eat all the pods first :(. )

Aww Gena, sorry to hear about the ich troubles. Going fallow is such a pain but it'll be worth it. Hoping your fish make it through--Sharkbait was riddled with spots when he went into QT and he made it, so sending good vibes to your neon.

I treated mine with Cupramine, and read somewhere else on here that Ben had said he's used it on a dragonet (2?) without a problem? I don't know if his stance on it has changed or not.

jedimasterben

Aww Gena, sorry to hear about the ich troubles. Going fallow is such a pain but it'll be worth it. Hoping your fish make it through--Sharkbait was riddled with spots when he went into QT and he made it, so sending good vibes to your neon.

I treated mine with Cupramine, and read somewhere else on here that Ben had said he's used it on a dragonet (2?) without a problem? I don't know if his stance on it has changed or not.

I've used Cupramine, copper sulfate (not recommended), and chloroquine phosphate on dragonets, all were ok :)

I've used Cupramine, copper sulfate (not recommended), and chloroquine phosphate on dragonets, all were ok :)

Should I do cupramine instead?????? My salinity is down to 1.013. I'm wondering now if it isn't ich but actually marine velvet! They had white spots which

immediately made me think ich. But now I only see like one or two spots on the neon but she's whitish and I'm guessing is mucus. The other fish had that too. :huh:

Maybe I should skip hyposalinity then and slowly bring it back up and then do cupramine. I was just avoiding copper because of the dragonet but if it's safe seems the better choice! What should I do???? :)

Forgot to mention....remember how I couldn't figure out why my meteor shower frag had larger polyps and opened more than the main colony? Well, I know why. It was the green clown goby.

Since he's been removed (and sadly passed) the main colony meteor shower has larger polyps. Still not quite as big as the little frag, but it's getting there. The clown goby was also irritating the turquoise trumpets. He

loved to sit in and zip around the branches of it and it's lost flesh where he's been. Hopefully that will grow back now.

I went with Cupramine because it was easier than me trying to maintain hyposalinity :). Does hyposalinity work if it's velvet rather than ich?

I went with Cupramine because it was easier than me trying to maintain hyposalinity :). Does hyposalinity work if it's velvet rather than ich?

I read that hyposalinity doesn't work on velvet. It's probably not velvet but I don't know for certain. The neon goby seems to be doing even

better now. Even gets curious and comes out to see me when I check in on them.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

No. Are you? If you do, let me know if you see any flaming prawn gobies :).

Yeah I'm going. I'll be sure to tell you :)

Sk8n Reefer

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the fish Gena- how are the Ruby and neon doing? Hope they can pull through for you ?

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the fish Gena- how are the Ruby and neon doing? Hope they can pull through for you

Thanks, Scott! They are doing fine...both still alive. Hopefully the neon will eat for me today. She hasn't eaten in 3 days. Ruby still eats live blackworms and has never shown any signs of being sick.
Sk8n Reefer

Thanks, Scott! They are doing fine...both still alive. Hopefully the neon will eat for me today. She hasn't eaten in 3 days. Ruby still eats live blackworms and has never shown any signs of being sick.

Excellent - great news

I read that hyposalinity doesn't work on velvet. It's probably not velvet but I don't know for certain. The neon goby seems to be doing even

better now. Even gets curious and comes out to see me when I check in on them.

Yay to the neon! come on neon, you can do it!

I am feeling hopeful for Ruby and the neon!

Yay to the neon! come on neon, you can do it!

Thanks you guys!!!! My fish and I appreciate your encouragement :happy:.

I took some photos of the two little girls in the hospital tank. The neon is looking REALLY good compared to what she was. BUT...she still didn't eat today :(. Hopefully that's not an issue and her appetite will come back.

IMG_9895_zpserm8eooe.jpg

She likes to sit in the tube :).

IMG_9897_zpsxrr4w4ip.jpg

Saran wrap on most of the top to help control evaporation. Fluctuations during hypo are not good and I don't have an ATO set up for this tank.

IMG_9896_zps0s8witqr.jpg

And finally, the DT without fish:

IMG_9891_zps9zooxp4b.jpg

Maybe I should skip hyposalinity then and slowly bring it back up and then do cupramine. I was just avoiding copper because of the dragonet but if it's safe seems the better choice! What should I do???? :)

Hmm if the spots are improving with the hyposalinity, I'd think try to stay the course?

I'm so sad for your clown goby. I always loves your photos of him.

Have you tried some cheap garlic flake food, or dipping food in garlic. That always works for me, especially when I had an ich outbreak in my 150.

Archived