Pod Your Reef

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great! Looks like the color is coming back some on the corals from the other tank. They probably just had to adjust to the lower lighting. Glad to see its all so happy and healthy. I was hoping to see Gertie though :( She's always so entertaining in your videos.

I certainly need to get another video of her, she hasn't been coming to the front glass as much. Her home of course is in the back now so she hangs out more there but I think she's grown since I've moved here. I'll see if I can get one soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Grandis Paly looking better.

20160301_213053_zps4bxbyhpc.jpg

Duncan is smaller. I'm gonna have to maybe put it in the 10g. Used to be the size of a fat pudgy softball, now it's barely an apple. And I think it's because it needs better light.

Do you feed the duncans? I spot feed mine along with RFAs and it has grown a bunch. Mine is also in a shaded area.

Palys look great!

In my other tanks I basically broadcast fed and they grew from one head that was in my Evolve 8 to grapefruit side in the 34g. I'll get it some food here tonight to see if that helps him but I know he needs more light. It's just I have no room in my 10g if it blows up to a softball but I may have to try move something around.

My duncans always grows like crazy when I spot feed mysis. They don't seem to care how much light they get as long as they get fed :)

My duncans always grows like crazy when I spot feed mysis. They don't seem to care how much light they get as long as they get fed :)

This is what I found also as mine is shaded by a frag rack but still grows.

Newstead came through town to visit her son so it was a pleasure meeting her and I hope to get up to Charlotte some time to hit up Nemo's and pay a visit. She brought me some gracilaria and a little blue mushroom. I have the blue/green ones and red but not blue.

So now I have a cute little blue one.

20160306_164448_zps6sttz6qp.jpg

And the gracilaria is in Gert's tank and doing well.

20160306_164531_zpsc4bzkrx3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while w/o pics. Gertie likes her home in the back. She's doing well. Still no problems with the 6line and goby.

This was a mushroom rock that had 3 hairy mushrooms but after the electrocution only 1 survived.

20160320_170234_zpsehc7fewr.jpg

Some kind of paly.

20160320_170218_zps9dq1svfg.jpg

20160320_170159_zpsvph86o2k.jpg

20160320_170115_zps41iijbcz.jpg

Caulerpa and dragons breath are doing well.

20160320_170016_zpsgj5mrxwb.jpg

Going to do another water change for this one in just a bit. I did one Tues or Wed when I was home with car troubles but need to do again cuz nitrate was too high. Warming water now.

I'll be taking about 4 rocks out of this tank to put into the 40 as I'll only be buying like 20 lbs of live rock for the 40. That should be enough for my 40. I want to do less rocks than more since I'll have leathers, softies like my pipe organ, macro & gorgs & nems.

She felt up my finger and left so she missed her opportunity for feeding tonight!!! She has a nice soft touch.

So I wanted to hold off but I couldn't because I have somewhere to store them while the tank cycles. So flowers are in the 10g and here I have......

Neon Green Sinularia

20160322_190054_zpszwmiz1lp.jpg
20160322_190041_zpstko0ailu.jpg
20160323_191256_zps8mhxj8jx.jpg
Branching GSP

20160322_190028_zpsjrjo2dyo.jpg
and a day later....
20160323_191304_zpsnqee7soi.jpg
I got the branching gsp as a Buy It now on eBay and the neon green sinularia was auction- both purchased through SoCalAqua Farms. I just really loved the Briarium. I like both, should be a nice pop of green from both.

I was excited when I found it. They were saying in the Softie Revolution thread only the folks in CA or Oregon had seen it. Branching Gsp, called Briarium apparently.

Just a snippet again of the branching gsp. Doing well. I'm contemplating cutting the left turn off of it and putting it on a frag plug and then I'd have 2, they'd be rather similar in height. I wonder if cutting it there makes it branch out more like a tree does.

prune it into an animal shaped bush....

Actually, when I took it out of the bag, it fell off the plug. Just found out I mounted it wrong. I sent the same video to the one that I bought it from. I'll have to right it.

" Looks good but I noticed you remounted it. I always try to mount corals the direction they're growing when I cut it since they seem just to keep growing and don't have to start again in a new direction. If you notice the pink tips sticking out on the side, those were the new branches that were starting to grow up when it was laying down. Usually they have to mat out before they start sending up new ones, so it happens faster when you let them keep going in the direction they already were. Either way it should do great"

So...I have to fix it. Need to buy some glue.

I need to let it fall back like a person would if you push them in the chest, so the pink tips are the only things facing up. So 3 tips in the air and the ends.

Here are my 2 corals that came today and were put in Gertie's tank when I came home.

My Devil's Hand

20160330_194845_zpsqgtkf50i.jpg

And the toadstool leather which I think is a Long Polyp Toadstool.

20160330_195002_zpsyric1vva.jpg

20160330_195041_zpsimia2i0u.jpg

20160330_194928_zpsjafovk9f.jpg

Still has more polyp extension to go but I can see it'll be pretty. I love it already.

Archived