ReefCleaners.org

What's in a name? - 40G

Sunar357

Thanks! :) New additions seem to be doing well so far. I do have some zoas that melted away from an order a few weeks ago. :( My one acan is also officially dead....rest all seem fine.

I really need to get some frags glued down but even having all that time off I had a sick baby on my hands and he was a handful. :(

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More bad pics by Fred! ™

St. Thomas, tiny yuma top left and rics

fwb5.jpg

Blastos

wapv.jpg

Some type of Paly

je09.jpg

Orange short tentacle plate

4g1i.jpg

Pink and purple platy

wolu.jpg

People Eaters? and majano I need to get rid of!

14c3.jpg

Dark green w/ orange mouth Rockflower Nem

hdzo.jpg

Spongodes

lsyt.jpg

Fire and Ice Zoas

viad.jpg

Melting Pot Acan

z7vr.JPG

Page quote.

I really like the spongodes, my tiny frag broke in 3 when I tried to remove it from the frag plug, now I have 3 decent sized pieces in 2 tanks. Pictures actually look halfway decent. You use an android phone, or iphone? You can buy pretty decent editors in both that will allow you to adjust white balance and such.

I actually have two frags of spongodes. I got one as a 'no name monti' but once it started kicking out PE and coloring up it looks like one. It is just a flat plate frag still.

Thanks bud :) This is from my Galaxy S3 work provided me. The wife has the iPhone. I did mess with the settings some so they do look better than previous...I should check into editors.

I messed with my light channels on my fixture to get the coloring. When I have blues on regular they are a lot brighter. I should check apps to see if I can balance the color more towards what I see.

I actually have two frags of spongodes. I got one as a 'no name monti' but once it started kicking out PE and coloring up it looks like one. It is just a flat plate frag still.

Thanks bud :) This is from my Galaxy S3 work provided me. The wife has the iPhone. I did mess with the settings some so they do look better than previous...I should check into editors.

Ah, android, good. I really like PhotoMate, at least for my tablet. Not sure how well this would work on a small phone but the number of controls available for editing is huge. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tssystems.photomate2

$10! Holey crikey! I think i'll check out some of the freebies first. I'd rather spend the $10 on coral. :D Thanks for the heads up though! :)

Or else I should just throw them on PC and mess with them in Photoshop.

Nope, sure haven't. The molly picks up n sprays sand everywhere at times...lol She was sent to the sump this last week though as I think the clowns were beating her up. The wrasse buries himself in the sand at night so that messes up a little bit but no, just the CUC I got from RC and some hermits.

Haven't seen the tailspot in about a week now. :( He seemed to be eating well so no idea what happened to him.

The pink skunk is still having issues...think it is a defect or bladder damage...always near the top. He seems to be eating though. Not sure what I should do with him.

Ugh! Not much luck with the last fish! I may have to try a new place for my next ones.

Corals seem to be doing well in general except for the forest fire digi which for some reason has went south. All my parameters are spot on. 0 ammonia or nitrates, perfect Calcium, Mag and Alk. First digi i've ever had a problem with...and it seemed great for weeks. Oi!

I guess it's possible...really stinks! He was all over and had such personality. :( I definitely want another one.

I have a tailspot in my 20 now. Lots of scary stories about these guys. I feed 1 type of pellets and 5 different types of flake food to mix it up. He seems to prefer the mixed flake and the pellets to Formula II (more algae) and straight algae flakes. Both my little fish really like some Brine Shrimp flakes I picked up over a year ago from http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/ where I used to get all my freshwater food. I'm not sure I totally trust that their marine food is well balanced.

Sorry to hear about your fish issues and the digi...its frustrating when they just up and die like that when everything else is fine. At least if you find on "off" param you know what happened. Hope the skunk recovers soon too.

This dude tried eating everything from Mysis to NLS to Spirulina plus the bits in reef chili....he liked the spirulina the best though. I don't feed brine as I hear they don't have much nutrition in them. He was eating and excreting just fine so it probably was an internal parasite. :(

Thanks, Danna. I know....if it was something off it'd be easy to understand. That's why I even did the ammonia check but no dice.

Like Frags said...the ups and downs I guess.

Ok...Gateway definitely didn't seem as nice as The Corner Reef but they did have some cheap corals. I can't wait to hit up The Corner Reef next time I hit St. Louis.

Gateway was out of gold torches and TCR one wasn't ready to frag. Steve was going to make me a killer deal on the full 3 heads for $85 but I opted to get other corals. Next time!

this is exactly how I felt leaving St. Louis my first time at the LFSs there.. Gateway is nice, TCR is even nicer (especially for being a pretty new store).. and Steve at TCR is super friendly and willing to cut you a deal to earn your business. I'll go to both of them again for sure..

if you get a chance you should go see Charlie at Aquarium Obsessions in Peoria (actually Bartonville, just outside Peoria).. it should be closer for you than St. Louis, and he's got a pretty nice shop as well.. he chopped up a gold torch for me and gave me a discount since I drove quite a ways to see his store..

Yep, i'll definitely plan on checking AO out. I was already in St. Louis is why I checked out those places. Maybe i'll pick up some fish at AO when i'm there...maybe after tax season? lol

I noticed your montipora "spongodes", is that the same as montipora confusa? they look the same to me.. if it is, I have confusa that was green in the pic, brown when I got it a year ago, still brown today.. I've tried everything from low-light to high-light..

I have to add...you know how sometimes you see something that's not correct but you keep seeing it. Well I made that mistake with your location.

I giggle everytime I read this thread that you live in Ratatouille, Illinois!

I noticed your montipora "spongodes", is that the same as montipora confusa? they look the same to me.. if it is, I have confusa that was green in the pic, brown when I got it a year ago, still brown today.. I've tried everything from low-light to high-light..

They do look a lot alike but I don't think they are the same. I've had mine high and low in my tank and didn't seem to have a preference. Mine are green w/ dark red polyps.

LOL Dang't, Danna! I don't live in a French dish! :D

They do look a lot alike but I don't think they are the same. I've had mine high and low in my tank and didn't seem to have a preference. Mine are green w/ dark red polyps.

LOL Dang't, Danna! I don't live in a French dish! :D

actually I found my answer with some googling.. apparently they are named one or the other incorrectly quite often, as they look nearly identical. the difference is mostly in growth pattern, apparently spongodes branch whereas confusa has small "spikes".. very subtle differences like that..

Archived