inTank Media Baskets

Pico's 50 gallon, new corals, not enough space!

picoreef78

picoreef78

Changed the the lights to a modified coral radiance with max at 13 k and 85%. The natural seems to allow good goral growth and I actually appreciated the more natural colors.

picoreef78

pH problems again. Aiming the return for more surface agitation. Wether not so great anymore so opening the patio door not a good option.

Seem like the tank is retaining a ton of CO2. Could add a tube from the outside to the skimmer (which is just bubbling away for some reason now).

Finally getting stuff fixed and then other stuff just happens.

picoreef78

Still dealign with low pH, alk at 2.75 mEq/l, tweeking the dosing still, upped calcium part to 2 ml/day, was 400 mg/l today, 410 two days ago.

Growth seems to have slowed down. I don't know of it is because I changed to the Coral radiance algorithm from natural algorithm or just because that is what the tank is doing,

Here are the A. nasuta. On the left is Reef Gardener Strawberry short cake. Red coralites coming back, based is a darker green, with an area of light green forming. The two on the right are the Tyree Pink Lemonades. Turing light green/ yellow tips, red polyps. One from Your Reef and one from Reef Gardener.

17873287080_68a76082f7_k.jpgIMG_6905 by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Looking good- Ya once you get the doser dialed in it will be good to for awhile- or until growth takes off and you have to add Alk. ? . I tested everyday for over a month- insane how much a tank can change somedays.

• Like 1
picoreef78

Tell me about it. So slow, waiting for these things to talk off. I need to get my pH up, it is hovering 7.6-7.8

• Like 1
picoreef78

18086230822_65cb61fac2_k.jpgIMG_6907 by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

What to put in this space?

Another euphyllia sps, some zoanthid's a chalice, I don't know. Maybe a A. echinata

I like the "Jason fox goldmeister type chalice, too expensive. A lt of nice color zoanthids out there, super expensive.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/16/fly-amanita-chalice/

I have benign oogling A. microclados

also the A. latistella

I just don't have anywhere to put them, unless I get a frag rack. Anyone know a nice one?

• Like 2

the space between the hammer and acan? my ideas are clam, more acans (can never have too many),or you could get some cool looking cyphastrea to cover it and keep the space there but add color. just some suggestions

• Like 1

Obvious sps spot Maybe a Monti cap.? Is the hammer glued down there?

don't listen to this man, his next question about the hammer is can it be traded to the store for credit for more sps. Your tank could wind up looking like his if you listen to him. (lol, we could hope)

• Like 1
picoreef78

I did not think of the cyphastrea. That is a good thought. I already have a ton of sps, looking for something a little different for the spot.

I do like unique corals A. microclados and A. latistella, but I would have to put them somewhere else.

I have another perfect spot for a M. capricornis if I were to get another montipora sps.

picoreef78

Thanks to all on Kat thread, Genus and Species to my Montipora identified.

Mystic Montipora - Montipora tuberculosa

Sunset Montipora - Montipora nodosa
Pokerstar montipora - Montipora monasteriata
Rainbow montipora - Montipora tuberculosa
ORA Spongodes - Montipora spongodes (verrucata?)
Phoenix Montipora - Montipora danae

picoreef78

Just checks alk (2.7 eEq/l from 3.2 3 days ago, calcium 375 mg/l from 430 3 days ago.

Fingers crossed things are starting to turn around and corals really start taking off.

pH issued, opened my balcony door for past few days, pH increased from 7.6 to 7.90-8.0. Once summer heat comes in I need to find another solution, probably a fan.

Hopefully this means my corals are going to take off! Need to see the next couple of days and adjust the DOS accordingly,

Just checks alk (2.7 eEq/l from 3.2 3 days ago, calcium 375 mg/l from 430 3 days ago.

Fingers crossed things are starting to turn around and corals really start taking off.

pH issued, opened my balcony door for past few days, pH increased from 7.6 to 7.90-8.0. Once summer heat comes in I need to find another solution, probably a fan.

Hopefully this means my corals are going to take off! Need to see the next couple of days and adjust the DOS accordingly,

I'm just getting in to measuring and adjusting alkalinity but that swing sounds high.

Good deal on the pH. That may be because you home is tight but that means higher CO2 levels in the air which leads to lower pH. By bringing in outside air, you have less CO2 and the pH increases. As soon as you close the door, CO2 will increase and pH drop. Can you run an airline from outside to your skinner or an air pump? Using a fan to circulate the internal air won't help pH.

picoreef78

Pre water change pictures

Put in some food!

18131888860_ab0f290c78_k.jpgBegging by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

Gave the Gonipora a bit of FM LPS food

18315692472_bc2d8fb9ac_k.jpgGonipora eating by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

Lots of little branches starting to bud and grow.

17698998243_b417290e9e_k.jpgGARF A. valida by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

17697063324_559612b212_k.jpgA. nasuta by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

18293214496_70a57ae43b_k.jpgRed Planet by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

18319703795_0222fa3d8f_k.jpgA. granulosa by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

I'm just getting in to measuring and adjusting alkalinity but that swing sounds high.

Good deal on the pH. That may be because you home is tight but that means higher CO2 levels in the air which leads to lower pH. By bringing in outside air, you have less CO2 and the pH increases. As soon as you close the door, CO2 will increase and pH drop. Can you run an airline from outside to your skinner or an air pump? Using a fan to circulate the internal air won't help pH.

Not in the apartment, I don't think they will appreciate me drilling through the wall. It is about 10 feet to balcony I don't know if a small air line is enough. Don't know what else to do.

As far as the alk swing everything has been really stable. I am attributing the drop to increased consumption and coral growth. I have the DOS set low with no real change for the past 2 weeks.

• Like 3
picoreef78

So bad, I need for self restraint.

Product Name SKU Price Qty Subtotal Subtotal $ Shipping & Handling $0.00 Grand Total (Excl.Tax)

Tax

$0.00 Grand Total (Incl.Tax) $Zoanthus sp. - ReefGen "Orange Aperature Zoa" 1" Stock Frag ReefGen Orange Aperature Zoa Stock $ 00 Acropora microclados - UC Strawberry Shortcake Acropora 1" Stock Frag size 1.5" UC Strawberry Shortcake 1" Stock Frag-1.5" frag $ 2.00 Oxypora lacera - Aussie "Purple Haze" Oxypora- 1" Stock Frag Aussie Purple Haze Oxypora Stock Frag $ .00 Acanthastrea echinata -ReefGen "Spectrum" Echinata 1" Stock Frag

Ca decreasing by 5 mg/dl pre day will trend. So far alk seen to be stable over last two days at 2.80 mEq/l. Now getting 5 ml/day alkalinity and 4 ml/day calcium.

picoreef78

6 month growth shots!

December 22 2014

15886321628_b835861229_k.jpgUntitled by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

Milka Stylophora pisillata, has had a ton of growth!

18206582658_cb87912cf5_k.jpg6 months, morning sunlight by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

This guys was sold has a A. tenuis, not so much growth

18395921851_3ae888c350_k.jpg6 months growth by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

This A. prostrate looks a lot like this A. millipora in the second picture, marketed as a Pink Blue Fuzzy Millipora

17771648994_529e9832c7_k.jpg6 months growth by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

18395919431_bcae89c333_k.jpg6 months growth by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

A. nasuta side shot for good measure.

18395923311_ab23f6a8dd_k.jpg6 months growth by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

• Like 2
picoreef78

Alk stable at 2.85 mEq/l for three days, getting 5 ml of BRS two part.

Ca decreased by another 10 mg/l per day 430 to 410 to 400 mg/l getting 4 ml day of BRS two part.

I least I know there is some consumption.

Growth looked slowed after the switch from natural mode (peaks at 12k) to a modified coral radiance mode ( peaks at 13k).

Go back to natural mode,sacrifice some fluorescence for growth, colors were pretty nice by my eye.

Stay at modified coral radiance, I can see increased florecent pigments in most corals.

Maybe bump intensity up from 85% to 90%.

Gen 2 radion pro. 120 degree lenses.

Most people have theirs set at 50-70%.

picoreef78

Ok new corals came in just as I was heading out to work.

Oxypora lacera (ReefGen "Purple Haze")

18432297006_c361f4487a_k.jpgNew corals by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

A. microlados (UC "Strawberry short cake") I dropped a drop of glue on in :/

18454436712_dda9b08bda_k.jpgNew corals by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

Zonthid sps. (Reefgen "Orange Aperture")

18272518069_089197b3cf_k.jpgNew corals by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

Acanthastrea echinata (Reefgen "spectrum echinata") So small, about the size of the dime. I hope he makes it.

18270987090_4fe0505e03_k.jpgNew corals by Alejandro Magadan, on Flickr

More too come after work and as lights drop in temperature and corals open up.

• Like 2

Lost most of the A. microlados and A. ehinata. Woke up to two dead Bangui :(. Not sure what happened.

The alk has been steady at 2.80-2.90 mEq/l Cal 400-420 Mg 1380-1420.

NO3 measured at 0 and PO4 also 0 mg/l.