Pod Your Reef

Diver's Pony Paradise - New photos! (pg. 64)

Felicia

If only you lived closer i would give you some armor of god zoas. they would look amazing in there. but i get what you mean. tank looks balanced now

I've got some Devil's Armors that may move over. They're almost identical to the Armor of Gods :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got some Devil's Armors that may move over. They're almost identical to the Armor of Gods :)

honestly better. i love AOG's but there is a lot of zoas that out show them

Fun! You going to start selling rock flower nems? If so, put me on the list! I'd love to have one.

Yeah, it was reasonably heavy since it has a thick base, but not quite as much as it looks since the fluff is deceptive.

I hope so!!!!! Just waiting for them to starting reproducing and then I can get my bigger tank. That's the deal I made with "the boss" :D.

I hope so!!!!! Just waiting for them to starting reproducing and then I can get my bigger tank. That's the deal I made with "the boss" :D.

Sounds like a good deal! Hopefully that will be soon. :)

I have some really sad news tonight...Trixie, the largest yellow seahorse passed away today. I'm really upset and this is just so much worse than losing a regular fish.

Trixie actually turned out to be a male seemed to be having some issue with gas bubble disease in his pouch recently. This has been going on for the last month or so, but he was still eating and didn't seem to have any serious issues with buoyancy so I didn't want to try the stressful procedure of removing the trapped gas from his pouch. It didn't get any bigger, and its actually slowly been getting less swollen but then suddenly about a week ago he stopped eating. I coaxed him into eating a few mysis, but he was getting skinny, so that's why I got the live brine earlier this week. He was still being active and swimming about and he actually ate some of the live brine shrimp. I was hoping that would help and he'd start eating again, but he wouldn't eat at all the last couple feedings. This morning I found him stuck to the overflow completely unresponsive. I thought he was dead, but then I noticed he was breathing so I shut off the return pump and my MP10, so there's no flow. He's was just floating at the surface with just a tiny bit of movement and breathing. He wasn't moving his eyes at all which is a bad sign with seahorses. Now this evening, he has sunk down to the bottom of the tank and I see no signs of breathing, so I am pretty sure he has passed away. I am going to have to get his body out of the tank in a bit. I am just so sick to my stomach about this... I guess I should have tried treating his pouch issues but he seemed fine until all of a sudden recently. Lesson learned I guess :(

I have some really sad news tonight...Trixie, the largest yellow seahorse passed away today. I'm really upset and this is just so much worse than losing a regular fish.

Trixie actually turned out to be a male seemed to be having some issue with gas bubble disease in his pouch recently. This has been going on for the last month or so, but he was still eating and didn't seem to have any serious issues with buoyancy so I didn't want to try the stressful procedure of removing the trapped gas from his pouch. It didn't get any bigger, and its actually slowly been getting less swollen but then suddenly about a week ago he stopped eating. I coaxed him into eating a few mysis, but he was getting skinny, so that's why I got the live brine earlier this week. He was still being active and swimming about and he actually ate some of the live brine shrimp. I was hoping that would help and he'd start eating again, but he wouldn't eat at all the last couple feedings. This morning I found him stuck to the overflow completely unresponsive. I thought he was dead, but then I noticed he was breathing so I shut off the return pump and my MP10, so there's no flow. He's was just floating at the surface with just a tiny bit of movement and breathing. He wasn't moving his eyes at all which is a bad sign with seahorses. Now this evening, he has sunk down to the bottom of the tank and I see no signs of breathing, so I am pretty sure he has passed away. I am going to have to get his body out of the tank in a bit. I am just so sick to my stomach about this... I guess I should have tried treating his pouch issues but he seemed fine until all of a sudden recently. Lesson learned I guess :(

Very sorry for you're lose, can't blame yourself for doing what you thought was the right thing.

Oh Felicia, I got goose bumps when I read about her, with all the care and love you pour into your tanks and with his stomach getting less swollen anyone could have the same issue. my condolences.

dixie reefer

I am so sorry for your loss. :'( Seahorses have such amazing personalities, I couldn't imagine lossing one of my girls.

Very sorry for you're lose, can't blame yourself for doing what you thought was the right thing.

Oh Felicia, I got goose bumps when I read about her, with all the care and love you pour into your tanks and with his stomach getting less swollen anyone could have the same issue. my condolences.

I am so sorry for your loss. :'( Seahorses have such amazing personalities, I couldn't imagine lossing one of my girls.

Thank you everyone. I am just very upset tonight, but I guess its just part of keeping seahorses. Unfortunately, they are very prone to diseases and even very experienced seahorse keepers lose quite a few of them. Its just so rough because I get even more attached to them than other fish. They seem so much more intelligent and friendly and interactive. I do blame myself a bit for not treating the gas bubble disease, but it did appear to be getting better, so I guess I can't fault myself too much like you guys said. I know in the future not to be tricked into thinking its clearing up on its own. I'm learning as I go, but this is rough. I'm hanging in here though and will be doing my best to keep my other 3 ponies very healthy!

Oh no, I'm so sorry Felicia, I just lost my Lubbock's wrasse so I guess were both in mourning :tears:

Could it have been an intestinal parasite, they can pick it up from fresh/frozen foods we feed, I think that's what took my Lubbock's.

R.I.P. Trixie :grouphug:

Oh no, I'm so sorry Felicia, I just lost my Lubbock's wrasse so I guess were both in mourning :tears:

Could it have been an intestinal parasite, they can pick it up from fresh/frozen foods we feed, I think that's what took my Lubbock's.

R.I.P. Trixie :grouphug:

Sorry to hear that! Losing fish is always rough :(

I guess it could have been some kind of parasite. I just assumed it was the gas bubble in the pouch since that had been going on, but it is weird that it seemed to be getting better before he died. I use only PE Mysis, which are supposed to be good quality. I'd never thought of parasites from food. All of my seahorses are captive bred and shouldn't have ever been exposed to parasites. My jawfish were quarantined and prophylactically treated with PraziPro for internal parasites, so there shouldn't have ever been any introduced to the tank.

So sorry for your loss :(

Thank you. I'm still pretty upset, but I just need to move on at this point.

I've decided not to replace Trixie at this point. My bioload was maxed out on that tank with 4 seahorses and 2 jawfish. However, I have a huge flatworm issue in there and want to add a wrasse. My yellow coris seems to be doing a good job eating the flatworms in my other tank, and they're pretty, peaceful fish so I figured one would do well in the seahorse tank. They go fast around here when they come in and one of the LFS just got a big shipment of them this week, so I went and picked one up on my way back from diving today. I got a decent-sized, very plump male who has the nice markings on his head. He's acclimating now. The plan is to acclimate him and then give him a FW + methylene blue dip to kill any parasites so he doesn't introduce them to the tank. I hate FW dipping because its stressful, but it seems to work well and the jawfish did just fine with it when I put them through it. It just seems awful, but apparently doesn't hurt the fish any.

So sorry for your loss :(. I'm sure it is sooo difficult!!!!! You did your best, that's what matters ((hugs)).

When did you discover she was a he? Any of the other seahorses turn out to be a he?????

How'd the diving go today? Sounds soooooo cold :D. It's so wet and cold here today. I shouldn't complain since it's really not that cold, but it's cold to me :).

So sorry for your loss :(. I'm sure it is sooo difficult!!!!! You did your best, that's what matters ((hugs)).

When did you discover she was a he? Any of the other seahorses turn out to be a he?????

How'd the diving go today? Sounds soooooo cold :D. It's so wet and cold here today. I shouldn't complain since it's really not that cold, but it's cold to me :).

Thanks, Gena. Losing a seahorse is definitely rough. I did what I thought was right and lesson learned. Moving on now... cheering myself up with the awesome new wrasse.

I figured it out a month or two back I guess. Two of mine up and started developing pouches like Zia's pony. They were too young to sex properly when they were sold to us and we didn't realize that. All juvenile seahorses look like females. Trixie was a male and Misty is a male. Pixie is definitely a female and I think Val is a female, but she's still a lot smaller than the others, so its still a bit soon to be positive with her.

The diving today was pretty blah unfortunately. The weather report said it was supposed to stop raining in Carmel during the night and it should have been nice today but it was pouring and very windy, which made the surge rough. That made the visibility bad. We only did one dive because we couldn't get warmed up in between the dives since we were outside in the cold, pouring rain. Normally we sit in the sun and eat lunch between dives to get warmed up, but no luck today. We did our one dive and then decided to go to Cannery Row in Monterey to get yummy fresh seafood. It was a good day, but not the best diving. Still a nice little getaway.

Here's my new male yellow coris wrasse. Hopefully this fatty has an appetite for flatworms!

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo7-4.jpg.html'>photo7-4.jpg

A bit blurry, but you can see the nice markings on his face.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo8-3.jpg.html'>photo8-3.jpg

I can imagine how cold it was...brrrr!

He sure is pretty :).

So does this mean you will be having baby seahorses???? :)

I can imagine how cold it was...brrrr!

He sure is pretty :).

So does this mean you will be having baby seahorses???? :)

Yeah, we were ready to get inside and get all toasty after that. It was too cold today! The water was actually a bit warmer than last time, but the outside temperature really makes a difference in how bearable it is. If you can't get warm after, its not fun.

He's the only one they had that had those markings on his face. I guess it means he's a mature male. My other one is tiny and doesn't have the markings, so its either a juvenile or a female. Even the mature males are supposed to be very peaceful and calm, so he should do fine in the seahorse tank.

And yep, that does mean babies at some point. The seahorses are still young, so I don't think they've quite reached mating age yet. I believe that's usually between 9 months and a year. Mine are between 9 and 10 months old now I believe. Pixie is the oldest now and was born in May.

Yeah, we were ready to get inside and get all toasty after that. It was too cold today! The water was actually a bit warmer than last time, but the outside temperature really makes a difference in how bearable it is. If you can't get warm after, its not fun.

He's the only one they had that had those markings on his face. I guess it means he's a mature male. My other one is tiny and doesn't have the markings, so its either a juvenile or a female. Even the mature males are supposed to be very peaceful and calm, so he should do fine in the seahorse tank.

And yep, that does mean babies at some point. The seahorses are still young, so I don't think they've quite reached mating age yet. I believe that's usually between 9 months and a year. Mine are between 9 and 10 months old now I believe. Pixie is the oldest now and was born in May.

It's really going to add a burst of yellow to that already colorful tank :D. Does Z have one? If not, he probably will before too long, after he sees yours :lol:.

I assume they need a separate tank to keep them alive (the seahorse babies)?

It's really going to add a burst of yellow to that already colorful tank :D. Does Z have one? If not, he probably will before too long, after he sees yours :lol:.

I assume they need a separate tank to keep them alive (the seahorse babies)?

I love the yellow burst they add. They just have sand bed issues :furious: Luckily, this tank's sand bed gets messed with constantly by the jawfish, so its safe to add the wrasse. Zia has a melanarus in his seahorse tank. Its a super pretty wrasse and I'd love one, but they get too big for a 30 gallon tank. Zia's tank is 50 gallons, so its big enough for one. The yellow coris wrasse is one of the few that stays reasonably small besides the pink streak, possum wrasse, and six line. I just like the color on the coris wrasse so much better than those others and they're more known to eat flatworms.

I have a friend in the local club who breeds clownfish and wants to try to raise the seahorse fry when I have some. He has lots of extra tanks (he's the one who loaned me the temporary holding tank I'm using now) and he has all the live food cultures to feed them.

I love the yellow burst they add. They just have sand bed issues :furious: Luckily, this tank's sand bed gets messed with constantly by the jawfish, so its safe to add the wrasse. Zia has a melanarus in his seahorse tank. Its a super pretty wrasse and I'd love one, but they get too big for a 30 gallon tank. Zia's tank is 50 gallons, so its big enough for one. The yellow coris wrasse is one of the few that stays reasonably small besides the pink streak, possum wrasse, and six line. I just like the color on the coris wrasse so much better than those others and they're more known to eat flatworms.

I have a friend in the local club who breeds clownfish and wants to try to raise the seahorse fry when I have some. He has lots of extra tanks (he's the one who loaned me the temporary holding tank I'm using now) and he has all the live food cultures to feed them.

I would like one, but it would probably be too high energy for my pink-streaked wrasse to handle. I don't want to mess up the peace in that tank :).

Very cool about your friend...that would be so cool if he is able to raise them!!!!! You guys could go into business together :D.

I would like one, but it would probably be too high energy for my pink-streaked wrasse to handle. I don't want to mess up the peace in that tank :).

Very cool about your friend...that would be so cool if he is able to raise them!!!!! You guys could go into business together :D.

They're not all that high energy. The one in my main tank can hold his own, but he doesn't mess with anyone. They're considered to be one of the peaceful wrasses. I doubt one would pick at your pink-streaked. But then your pink streaked does seem very shy. I have a very shy firefish and YWG though and they are both totally fine with my coris wrasse.

Yeah, I'd love to see him succeed in getting some to adults. We could probably sell them through some of the local stores since the one breeder in the area stopped breeding and the stores now don't have a local source for captive bred seahorses.

They're not all that high energy. The one in my main tank can hold his own, but he doesn't mess with anyone. They're considered to be one of the peaceful wrasses. I doubt one would pick at your pink-streaked. But then your pink streaked does seem very shy. I have a very shy firefish and YWG though and they are both totally fine with my coris wrasse.

Yeah, I'd love to see him succeed in getting some to adults. We could probably sell them through some of the local stores since the one breeder in the area stopped breeding and the stores now don't have a local source for captive bred seahorses.

FF are so shy so that's great that it's not bothered by the wrasse! I'll have to keep the coris in mind as a possibility. It would be nice to have a colorful fish that is always out and about.

Sounds like a great potential for $$$ in your pockets with the seahorses :D.

Archived