Cultivated Reef

Diver's Pony Paradise - New photos! (pg. 64)

Felicia

natalia_la_loca

rLfW4N.gif

Just love this :wub: My seahorses are in mating mode right now and doing a lot of this!

I've been meaning to ask you, what do you do to keep your sponges happy? Do you dose phyto, a carbon source, etc?

I'm especially interested in getting a red tree sponge to add another vertical element to my seahorse tank. I'm getting a free sample of Nualgi (main ingredient is liquid silica) and thought it might be beneficial for a sponge. I have loads of hitchhiker sponges, but wasn't sure if an ornamental would do well.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just love this :wub: My seahorses are in mating mode right now and doing a lot of this!

I've been meaning to ask you, what do you do to keep your sponges happy? Do you dose phyto, a carbon source, etc?

I'm especially interested in getting a red tree sponge to add another vertical element to my seahorse tank. I'm getting a free sample of Nualgi (main ingredient is liquid silica) and thought it might be beneficial for a sponge. I have loads of hitchhiker sponges, but wasn't sure if an ornamental would do well.

Thank you! Its cute when they do things like that. They don't seem to be in mating mode yet though. I think they're still a bit young for it.

Sponges are so touchy! I've had some that didn't do well at all and others that have thrived, even within the same species. So not sure exactly what makes them happy, but I feed Marine Snow and Phytoplex daily and then every couple days I also add Coral Frenzy or frozen coral food blend into the mix. I don't use any carbon source, but that's an interesting thought. I wonder if they'd like the Nualgi! You'll have to keep me posted.

This is one of my favourite tanks on Nano-Reef :wub:

Aww! You are too kind, Christine! Thank you so much! :)

Nice new shots!

How is the yellow coris doing in regards to helping control the flatworm problem?

Thank you! The yellow coris definitely eats flatworms, but there were soooo many of them before I finally got him that he hasn't made too much of a dent though. Hopefully over time he'll diminish the population. I'll keep you guys posted.

natalia_la_loca

Sponges are so touchy! I've had some that didn't do well at all and others that have thrived, even within the same species. So not sure exactly what makes them happy, but I feed Marine Snow and Phytoplex daily and then every couple days I also add Coral Frenzy or frozen coral food blend into the mix. I don't use any carbon source, but that's an interesting thought. I wonder if they'd like the Nualgi! You'll have to keep me posted.

Hmmm, that's pretty close to what I'm dosing already :) I think I'll give it a try. If I find anything works particularly well I'll let you know.

• 1 month later...

Alright, so yes I realize I have totally left you all hanging with this tank. I've been really busy and I had a lot going on with the other tank crashing and being set back up, so I've been doing the bare minimum to keep this tank going. It was a giant mess, but I finally devoted 4 hours yesterday to giving it the thorough scrub down and maintenance that it really needed. Besides the stupid flatworm infestation, it looks soooo much better. I'm busy today, but tomorrow or Tuesday evening, I'll try to do a photo and video update for you guys.

Take your time, school takes precedence for sure. We're easy. We'll wait! :wub:

Thanks! I gotta take advantage of the tank actually being clean for once though and get some photos. :)

dixie reefer

I can't wait to see pics! Since I no longer have ponies, I have to live vicariously through you and Eddie! Haha

I too am anxious to see new pics since I am in the midst of a seahorse build. I too think that your pony is so beautiful and has inspired me to start one with live plants and corals.

Sorry guys! I got a bit sidetracked the last couple evenings after work. I'll make sure I get you all some photos tonight :)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so the flatworms are driving me insane. They have taken over and the tank looks so gross, hence me avoiding posting new photos. I siphon them out and then like a day later there are a million of them coating everything again. Anyways, one of the local stores FINALLY got in like 8 blue velvet nudibranchs. They got them in on Tuesday of this week and they put them in there SPS tank to deal with a flatworm infestation. By the time I went in today to get a couple, they'd totally demolished the flatworms population in the tank at the LFS. So good to know they are healthy and eating! Anyways, I picked up 2 of them for $20 each. I spent 2 hours drip acclimating them because they're so sensitive and I want them to live to eat all my flatworms. They've been in the tank since like 7 pm and they're doing great so far. Very actively moving about the tank and sucking up flatworms like vacuums. They're so awesome to watch and pretty too! I love nudibranchs and I've always wanted to have some. Hopefully they survive for a while and wipe out the flatworms.

Here's a video of one of them going to town shortly after being added to the tank:

Those are so cool. Looks like it's going to work :).

They're really very neat little critters. Luckily they were both still alive and well this morning, so hopefully they'll live long term. They're just notoriously sensitive. Hopefully I can get the seahorse tank all cleaned up so I enjoy it again.

That nudibranch is really going to town on the flatworms! Wow, I was impressed with its effectiveness. I hope it continues to do well in your tank as well.

That nudibranch is really going to town on the flatworms! Wow, I was impressed with its effectiveness. I hope it continues to do well in your tank as well.

Yeah, they look like little vacuum cleaners. They just slide around and slurp up flatworms. I hope so too!

Gee Felicia,

Just discovered this thread! Nice looking tank. Love Mellow Yellow.

Been fighting some flatworms myself.

I only had two pieces of live rock in the tank so I dipped each one in RO and that killed about a dozen worms. Broke up one piece today and killed some more.

I let them bake in a bucket of RO in the sun. A slow death they deserved!!!

Gee Felicia,

Just discovered this thread! Nice looking tank. Love Mellow Yellow.

Been fighting some flatworms myself.

I only had two pieces of live rock in the tank so I dipped each one in RO and that killed about a dozen worms. Broke up one piece today and killed some more.

I let them bake in a bucket of RO in the sun. A slow death they deserved!!!

Thanks, David!

Flatworms are such a pain. Unfortunately, I can't remove all of my rock to try to kill mine. Glad you were able to kill yours!

Here's a video I took yesterday of one of my nudibranchs eating flatworms off the glass. Go nudibranch, go! :) Ignore the crap in the water, I was cleaning the tank and kicked up a bunch of stuff.

You weren't kidding, they really are vacuums. That is so cool, just sucks 'em up!

Yeah, he's an effective little guy. The other one has been MIA since yesterday. I hope its still alive in there somewhere. I just need them to survive long enough to wipe out the flatworms. They already appear to be making a dent.

Yeah, he's an effective little guy. The other one has been MIA since yesterday. I hope its still alive in there somewhere. I just need them to survive long enough to wipe out the flatworms. They already appear to be making a dent.

Everybody's gotta give kudos to those little guys. It's nice to be able to count on something to function like you've been told. Look at all those peppermint shrimp folks have bought and isn't there's just a select variety that actually eats aptasia?

Polarcollision

OMG - did you catch it's little tongue slipping out and latching on to them like a cartoon? Awesome video. I've never seen them go to town like that. I had two of them at one time years ago and they just disappeared. I think they get caught up in power heads and also get sucked into overflow drains. Foam on the power head intake and overflow usually keeps them around longer.

That is way cool!!!!!!! I thought the other end was the head before watching that video :lol:. I'm glad there is a solution for FW that isn't chemical :).

Archived