Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diver's Pony Paradise - New photos! (pg. 64)

Felicia

Brrrr got cold just looking at your Epic vaca pics! Absolute gorgeous scenery up there! Glad you had a great time skiing. For some reason i'm not all that shocked that you got the hang of it as quickly as you did. Loved that giant ice sculpture! Lily's looking sweet as ever and still hard to believe she travels as well as she does. What a true winner she is. My two don't get down like that. They freak out on 20 minute trips to the vet.

Yay you got your mug :) Merry Christmas btw, fashionably late as usual :lol: The jellyfish one is really neat and love that they donate the proceeds like that. Looks like a cool start to a possible mug collection.

So your tank sitter clearly knows his sh!t, because all three of your tanks look incredible! Hive five to the TS! Even the freshwater looks like it didn't skip a beat. The pleco looks like hes even grown some. Congrats on coming back to all four of your ponies doing well :) Like always, lovely vid and good music! Happy New Year!

Hey Eddie! Thanks for stopping by! My vacation was definitely a bit cold, but very pretty. I don't know that I necessarily have the hang of skiing, but I wasn't nearly as awful at it as I thought I would be :) Weirdly, Lily gets pretty upset on short car trips, but she doesn't mind buses, trains, and planes. She's an odd cat. Your kittens might do just fine with flying :) Merry Fashionably-Late-Christmas to you too! The mug is amazing! I have it on display on a shelf in my kitchen now and my reef club friend who was over today noticed it immediately and absolutely loved it. It was such a cool thoughtful gift. Thank you again!!! I definitely am starting a reef-themed mug collection :lol:

I had two tanksitters who split the time in half and they both rock! One is my friend in grad school who often watches my tanks and Lily in exchange for me babysitting her cat when she's out of town. She's never had an aquarium, but she is good at following instructions and I have her well trained by now. She does a great job. The other person was a friend from the local reef club who does aquarium maintenance for a living, so he definitely knows his stuff. They did a great job keeping my seahorses happy! I hadn't left the seahorses for more than a weekend, so I was nervous about it. The little FW tank is soooo low maintenance. It hasn't had a water change in like a month but still looks pristine. The pleco has definitely grown some, which is too bad because it won't be long at all before he outgrows the tiny betta tank and I have to give him away :( I'm going to enjoy him for now and then give him to a friend with FW tanks when he gets too big.

Happy New Year to you too! :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polarcollision

love your spiral corals and of course everything else going on in your tank. How are you finding nutrient control to be now that it's settling in a bit?

I recognized every place you photoed in Banff--what a great place to vacation! Tim and I visited a little over a year ago, mostly because we could drive with my very senior dog and not have to board her. It looks like you were in a winter wonderland--so fun!

love your spiral corals and of course everything else going on in your tank. How are you finding nutrient control to be now that it's settling in a bit?

I recognized every place you photoed in Banff--what a great place to vacation! Tim and I visited a little over a year ago, mostly because we could drive with my very senior dog and not have to board her. It looks like you were in a winter wonderland--so fun!

Thanks! Nutrient control has improved as the tank has matured. The macro algaes are growing a ton now, so pruning them a lot helps with nutrient export. I think all the NPS corals I have help to suck a lot of the excess nutrients out of the water. Also, I think adding the reactors with carbon and GFO helped quite a bit. I feed a lot, but this tank seems to maintain very good water quality. I usually do water changes once a week, but I stretched that to two weeks over the holidays and everything still looked good. It seems like this tank is establishing a nice balance like my other tank.

It was definitely a beautiful place for a vacation! That's great that you are close enough to drive to such a gorgeous place. Its always nice to be able to travel with your pets. :)

Feliciaaaaa, I can't keep fish alive :(

WHATS WRONG WITH ME???

I was just about to comment on your thread. Don't panic yet, they're tiny gobies and can hide REALLY well. They're new to the tank and I bet they're still very shy. When I got the neons for my main tank, one of them vanished for days and I was convinced it had died and then it suddenly reappeared. I wouldn't worry at all yet. New fish tend to be MIA for a couple days.

I couldn't keep my tank the way I do without carbon and GFO. I like feeding EVERYTHING. Fish. Corals. Hermits. I have a problem. I probably overfeed like 10X. Without carbon and GFO as my facilitators, this would definitely be a problem

I couldn't keep my tank the way I do without carbon and GFO. I like feeding EVERYTHING. Fish. Corals. Hermits. I have a problem. I probably overfeed like 10X. Without carbon and GFO as my facilitators, this would definitely be a problem

Feeding is fun! I love watching everything eat, so I get it :) The carbon and GFO reactors seem to work wonders for excess nutrients. I was having some cyano and hair algae issues from phosphates early on in this tank, but since adding the reactors, the algae issues have cleared up.

yeah, before I added the GFO hair algae was taking over the tank and smothering everything and killing stuff left and right. GFO cleared it impressively fast.

I read your thread all the time - it's about time I posted more often lol. Incredible!!!!! Love the vid. I was looking at it thinking "there's no ponies in there"...then all of a sudden when you fed they came alive from everywhere :) They look so healthy too - well done pony wrangler!

:D

The new spirals are gorgeous!

Where can I find copies of Coral Magazine without buying a subscription? I really want the current issue but can't find it!

OMG...those new spirals :wub:. Loved the latest pony picture in her new ribbon gorg too :).

Dixie...I looked in the back of my Coral magazine, which lists where the mag can be found. For Texas: Austin Aqua Dome, Austin,TX. Fish Gallery Houston, Houston, TX. Reef Valley McAllen, TX.

Otherwise, I know you can buy back issues singly. Maybe try calling them and asking to buy just the one magazine.

Where can I find copies of Coral Magazine without buying a subscription? I really want the current issue but can't find it!

Polarcollision

Thanks! Nutrient control has improved as the tank has matured. The macro algaes are growing a ton now, so pruning them a lot helps with nutrient export. I think all the NPS corals I have help to suck a lot of the excess nutrients out of the water. Also, I think adding the reactors with carbon and GFO helped quite a bit. I feed a lot, but this tank seems to maintain very good water quality. I usually do water changes once a week, but I stretched that to two weeks over the holidays and everything still looked good. It seems like this tank is establishing a nice balance like my other tank.

It was definitely a beautiful place for a vacation! That's great that you are close enough to drive to such a gorgeous place. Its always nice to be able to travel with your pets. :)

I figured the master coral gardener would have everything in check. Also forgot what a roller coaster ride nutrient control is for the first 6 months. I feel like I'm reopening long-sealed treasure chests of memory every few weeks as the next maturation phase hits. Except this time the panic is gone. Partly I asked as notes for my dream pony tank that is at least 2 years away and I'm scared of 90% water changes each week. And partly because, like you, I don't believe in starving my captives for nutrient control. The new larger tank doesn't keep nutrients in check like the little one did. It's quite the beast. How much do you change, btw? the typical 10%?

I wouldn't worry at all yet. New fish tend to be MIA for a couple days.

MARTIN! :::pout::: I'll plus one this reassurance. My green clown goby did the same thing, except it was two weeks missing. He came back as the BOSS.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm adding GFO right now. :-)

Feeding is fun! I love watching everything eat, so I get it :) The carbon and GFO reactors seem to work wonders for excess nutrients. I was having some cyano and hair algae issues from phosphates early on in this tank, but since adding the reactors, the algae issues have cleared up.

Oh yeah! phosphates/cyano. I picked up a torch and thought I got the mat of red slimy cyano out, but NO. It's popping up in a few places. joy.

Such spiral so amaze

wow much beauty so hitch

boink.gifWhats going on here :D

Those two new spirals are bananas! Nice pick ups! They just keep amazing me with the new color combos there getting in! I bet the new FTS with those new additions is off the charts!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First off, WOAH! I was insanely behind with posts on this thread! Sorry guys! I'm back now :)

Tank looks great lady I love the horses and your spiral corals. Their all so awesome.

Awesome Felicia!

I have a new name for your thread..."Spiralling Pony Paradise" :P

I read your thread all the time - it's about time I posted more often lol. Incredible!!!!! Love the vid. I was looking at it thinking "there's no ponies in there"...then all of a sudden when you fed they came alive from everywhere :) They look so healthy too - well done pony wrangler!

:D

The new spirals are gorgeous!

OMG...those new spirals :wub:. Loved the latest pony picture in her new ribbon gorg too :).

Such spiral so amaze

wow much beauty so hitch

boink.gifWhats going on here :D

Those two new spirals are bananas! Nice pick ups! They just keep amazing me with the new color combos there getting in! I bet the new FTS with those new additions is off the charts!

wow this tank has came a long way since the last time i have seen it, good to see it doing so well!

Thanks everyone! It makes my day to read how much you all enjoy this tank. I really love it so much!

Incase tomorrow gets away from me, with the big game and all.

birthday-cat.gif

Thanks so much, Eddie! :)

Archived